Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Default Funds

Steve I don't know your financial situation but you would be EXTREMELY surprised what a well worded letter from an aviation lawsuit attorney would do for you. Things can be expedited etc. Something to think about... Either way I would make it my new job to be on their butt for the rest of their natural life. They may just give you a lifetime medical (made up...) just to get you to go away!
My brain shows a remarkable capacity to not willingly accept information that it considered useless.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:31 PM

Agree with the above -- you just have to stay on them. No one's going to give your certificate back unless you keep pushing. Wonder if they would at least consider giving you a 3rd class? Maybe it's the fly for hire situation that has them worried the most. A 3rd class would at least get you back in the air. Good luck, Steve.

RV-7A
Old 07-09-2012, 03:36 PM

Write your congressmen. The FAA is required to promptly respond to a congressman. If he/she will submit an inquiry, and if they mention your military background, it might help.
RV9A - Completed! First flight on July 18, 2012!
Based at Merritt Island, FL (KCOI)
VAF Number: 1170

----
Star Trek Quote: "Logically, it could work. Also, logically, there are a hundred variables, any one of which could put us in a worse position than we're in now." Mr. Spock in Return to Tomorrow
Old 07-10-2012, 09:43 PM

Thank you everyone, including those who have taken the time to PM me. I did get ahold of my FAA doc and he was blown away. His take on the letter is that whoever had the honor to stamp "denied" missed the fact that I'm not on meds anymore, haven't been since March of last year. They must have thought I am still taking medications. So, I'm sending in a letter (going to try to be nice) that explains when I stopped taking these meds, along with my FAA doctor who is also sending in a letter.

He really thinks this misunderstanding will be resolved soon. If not, then I'm going to call ALPA Aeromedical. This is a free service for me since I'm an ALPA member. But I know they are backed up right now, so I'm guessing it's going to be at least another 5 weeks to hear back. I'm really hoping it'll be less though.

The guy I'm working with has a ton of experience with getting pilot's medicals back. If he wasn't around, half of the US Airways Pilot's wouldn't be flying right now.

It's great to be able to share my story with you guys. Soon I hope to be able to share pictures of my wife and myself flying my dad's RV-7 to Florida to visit her father and put an end to this thread. Maybe I'll even throw in a few Dash-8 pics in as well
Old 07-10-2012, 11:07 PM

Default You will get it

Stay positive, stay on it, and be relentless.

Oh, and we would appreciate the -8 pics. In flight of course
Working on Fuse
O-360-A1A

1946 Cessna 120
Old 07-11-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve91t View Post
Thank you everyone, including those who have taken the time to PM me. I did get ahold of my FAA doc and he was blown away. His take on the letter is that whoever had the honor to stamp "denied" missed the fact that I'm not on meds anymore, haven't been since March of last year. They must have thought I am still taking medications. So, I'm sending in a letter (going to try to be nice) that explains when I stopped taking these meds, along with my FAA doctor who is also sending in a letter.

He really thinks this misunderstanding will be resolved soon. If not, then I'm going to call ALPA Aeromedical. This is a free service for me since I'm an ALPA member. But I know they are backed up right now, so I'm guessing it's going to be at least another 5 weeks to hear back. I'm really hoping it'll be less though.

The guy I'm working with has a ton of experience with getting pilot's medicals back. If he wasn't around, half of the US Airways Pilot's wouldn't be flying right now.

It's great to be able to share my story with you guys. Soon I hope to be able to share pictures of my wife and myself flying my dad's RV-7 to Florida to visit her father and put an end to this thread. Maybe I'll even throw in a few Dash-8 pics in as well

Call ALPA aeromedical today. Please don't wait. You actually should have had them involved from the moment you had the first problem. I suspect you would be back flying now. Its your career but they are the experts on dealing with FAA medical issues. I have know others who did not use them and it cost them months or even years in the process to regain a medical. They can often advise on exactly what needs to be done and how your doctor should document each aspect of your medical condition on a ongoing basis to satisfy the FAA. You can't go back after the fact and change wording in your medical records and it can be critical. That is why you want it right in the first place. Just a small change in a phase written in a medical record can be the difference between getting back to work quickly or perhaps never getting back to work. Please call them, better late then never!

George
Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 PM

I HAVE A 1ST CLASS MEDICAL!!!!

Looking back on it, I probably should have gone through ALPA like so many told me to do. Turns out the FAA lost ALL of my medical records, hence the reason for the crazy denial letters. They had missing information. My records were sent to Atlanta, then sent to Oklahoma, then to some place in New England. Somewhere along the way, someone didn't do their job.

Anyway, who cares, I have a medical!

I basically got my start in flying at a glider airport in SC when I was 13. I ended up working there just about every weekend until I went off to college. It was like my 2nd home. A couple of weeks ago I got checked out again in gliders. Words cannot describe how much I have missed flying gliders. There's absolutely nothing like it. Another passion of mine is towing. It is some of the most fun I have EVER had in an airplane. I just got checked out in the Pawnee again and started towing. Once again, words cannot describe the feeling of being back in the air. I know that I've taken flying for granted in the past, that will never happen again.

Time for some pictures.

My wife and myself flying my dad's RV7 before the bleed.

The morning of the surgery....we didn't get much sleep that night.

Hours later. Those dots on my forehead were from the vice my head was in.

Fast forward to yesterday. One of the best days of my life. I took my wife, my mom, and a good friend of mine for a ride in the sailplane.

Myself and my wife, Ashlie.

My buddy and myself in the 2-33 (glider).

Here are two short videos. This one is me and my mom taking off. My buddy, Danny, is filming, my dad is the loud one, and Jayne is the one who lifted the wing. She's one of the owners of Bermuda High. She and Frank, the other owner, are like my 2nd parents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmobUuPlkiY

And here is me and Danny flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk5BPVUkUV0

I'll be starting training at my airline again shortly and hopefully I'll get picked up by a major soon.

It's been a **** of a ride....one that I hope I never have to experience again. I want to thank every one for your support. It really meant a lot to me.

I've been looking forward to putting this thread to rest for some time now. There were times, especially in the beginning, where I didn't really know what the outcome would be. Everything happens for a reason and I'm so thankful to have had a condition that was correctable. I know there are so many people, like me, who have medical issues that keep them from living their dream. I'm one lucky dude.

Last edited by rv6rick : 09-11-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: removed expletive
Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 PM

Congrats Steve!
Dynon HDX
Flying as of 5-4-18
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 PM

Default great news

Steve, this is great news for you and all of us. I know it hasn't been an easy road for you, but you stuck with it and are on the other side now. Best of luck to you and your flying future. This is really great.
Flying N376E
Old 09-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Congrats!!

Steve, congratulation on defeating the beast

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."