Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10inOz View Post
Don't go looking for a Cookbook for a recipe
So why keep pushing the Red Box list for NA Lycomings? Pure cookbook, and misleading. Actual dyno data demonstrates percent power is a poor metric for detonation control:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...7&postcount=91
Old 07-17-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10inOz View Post

One last thing with the 179 knots, you may have a generous static source. I would recommend doing a GPS box test and getting this to within 2 knots.

Kevin Horton is the VAF GURU on this topic
referance post #9 the method by Kevin agrees with the TAS on the Dynon.

Also Ref. this http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=88595

I still dont know what I am looking at for sure when I see the TAS number on my EFIS

I go by Kevins method. seems more stable to me until convinced otherwise.
I have changed my User Name to the correct spelling as it became availible. Please direct all correspondence to Weasel
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
So why keep pushing the Red Box list for NA Lycomings? Pure cookbook, and misleading. Actual dyno data demonstrates percent power is a poor metric for detonation control:
The red box is far more than just a detonation control issue, but I assumed you understood that.

It is not pure cookbook at all. Cookbook would be "Run at 23/2300 and at 10.5GPH" That is a recipe that someone might follow blindly. The APS graphs are far from this.

As for being very conservative on a NA Lyc or CMI, this is true of a conforming engine, however, CHT and ICP are the things that will affect engine life, and sure Lyc's go well past TBO if looked after, and as most RV builders are keen to save a penny, over the long run, if you run your Lycoming, as per the graphs, you will save fuel, you will have good speed and range and you will have lower stress on your engine components.

Its that damned simple.

Your posts are not doing anything to help the under educated, you are more than capable of making your own operating decisions, but many here need some good education, and then let them work it out for themselves. If you had any real respect for George and co, you might actually support their education campaign. And by the way, George has not made a cracker out of me, not even via APS seminars, his generous assistance and hospitality has far exceeded the couple of dollars he may have collected as a result of my fees. I owe him.

In fact, it will not be too far down the track when we will all owe him big time for getting G100UL to the pump. But that is another story.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
And by the way, George has not made a cracker out of me
This isn't about George, a very smart fellow indeed. And what does "cracker" mean in Oz?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
This isn't about George, a very smart fellow indeed. And what does "cracker" mean in Oz?
Heard an interesting definition of "cracker" while on Sanibel Island last March.

In days gone by before railroads, cattle were driven up the beach of northwest Florida to market and cowboys kept the critters from wandering off by "cracking" their bull whips over them, hence they became known as "crackers".

Now I suppose an RV pilot could be a cracker when pulling the throttle back for landing as there frequently is a popping noise bordering on cracking.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2019 This place is worth it!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:02 AM

heheheheh

Sorry about that.

Not made a Dime, Nickel, a brass razoo (for Pierre's benefit perhaps)

The reason I say this is too many folk wonder if there is money involved when one supports something.

And I note it is an election year here.....lots of money talking on the TV
Old 07-18-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesael View Post
Its what you get used to. I had trouble thinking that with my setup when I started but I soon found there were other perameters that I wanted to include in the primary screen and not have to change views to see so I kept adding more and more widjets but now that I have used it for 100+ hrs I know where to look for the information that I need and really it starts to seem fairly simple.

I am sure otheres look at mine at first glance and think the same.

The cool thing is you can configure what you want.
Weasel... that has been exactly my evolution as well. On my first flights, I had to cover up most of the EFIS display, as all the whiz bang flashing and blinking was distracting me from flying the plane and looking out the window.

Eventually, I too got tired of switching views for the info i wanted. Instead I crammed as much useful info as i could into a single screen. I hope to cram in more. You just get used to looking at what you want at different phases of flight.

Unfortunately, for most of the non-flying public, they are infinitely more impressed when they see a panel full of round steam gauges since that's what flying a real airplane looks like.

An EFIS screen looks too much like their kids playing XBOX. :P

Jae
#40533 RV-10 Builder and CFI
1/2006 Started build
10/19/2011 First flight
Old 07-18-2012, 11:21 AM

Default Following with interest

Oz,
Welcome to the neighborhood (globally speaking).
What do you find objectionable to cruising at 11500 in Jchang's post?
Where do you find your most efficient (Best MPG) altitude?
My guess on Jchang's cruising altitude besides efficiency was LA's Class Bravo airspace top at 10000 feet and some "hills" topping 9000 feet in that area.
Running on 91 Octane E10 mogas since 2011
Don't believe everything you know.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:28 AM

Howdy! on a train to DC right now....beats your NY cabs and airports

Well not that it might matter here in the US, but once above 3000 AGL we are meant to be flying hemispherical levels and if VFR with that heading 11500'

But hey I am just being picky

I have found up around FL130 is pretty good. Fuel flows down around 36-37LPH and TAS close to 160 knots
Old 08-05-2012, 10:36 PM

Default Under Cowl

For those of you that asked about the cooling system at oshkosh and wanted to see some of the mods that we did for a (hopefully) more efficent cooling air system. Here are some pictures.

I have changed my User Name to the correct spelling as it became availible. Please direct all correspondence to Weasel