- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:47 PM

Default Trip to Ireland

Just got back from vacationing in Ireland. Very beautiful rain or shine! I made a post here looking for fellow builders/flyers over there and Loman replied. He is building a -9A and offered to show me his project and introduce me to RVators in Ireland. I think I've read somewhere that RVs are not just about the airplanes but the people as well...

Here is Loman's shed/aircraft factory. Looking at the door you can tell it is not very tall nor wide! I know people have built in small places but this is the smallest I have seen in person!

You might remember Loman's post in the 9/9A section where he fitted the wings...in THAT backyard! He has since built extensions to his shed that are actually on wheels for easy removal. Now I've heard of tables and such on wheels...but workshops??

Here is the proud builder in his expanded workshop!

Here are his completed wings up in the rafters. Don't ask me how he got them up there...or how he is getting them out of there either!

I saw this model with a quote Loman wrote. I found it quite funny and wondered when he actually wrote it.

We spoke of his plans and some of the "mods" he had done then he offered us tea or coffee. We declined so we set out for a 20 minute drive to another RVer friend of his, Bryan. Bryan has a -7 with his own hangar/house/grass strip (but they called it a barn). It reminded me a lot of Salmon Farm (53VG) except it had sheep instead of Pugs for pets.

Here is the strip. I figure all the roads in Ireland are windy so why not the runways?

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 06-14-2012, 02:54 PM

Here is Bryan's very nicely equipped -7.

Nice area to work/build in. Much larger than mine and GIGANTIC compared to Loman's shop!

THIS IS THE PART I WANT TO BRAG ABOUT! Eat your heart out Vlad!! Bryan had a nice spread ready for us when we arrived and Loman supplied the dessert! (But since he forgot it at home he was the butt of all jokes. ) We even had some wine!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 06-14-2012, 03:11 PM

After a nice meal and a lot of discussion, I discovered that European airspace is MUCH different from the US. I am still confused by it. You would think that a controller would pick it up pretty easy, but no dice. I'd have to start from square one to learn that design.

On to the FUN!! Bryan offered me a quick hop in the -7. I couldn't wait. The views would be amazing! Here is a quick video I threw together ending with a beautiful 3-point landing by Bryan in the soggy turf.
RV flight in Ireland
(I suggest you view it in full screen to see the details)

For those who have slower connections....here are some stills.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 06-14-2012, 03:14 PM

The international RV community adds a whole new dimension to building and flying an RV. Thanks for sharing.
RV-9A 702DA (reserved) Finish Kit IOX-340
www.propjock.com
Old 06-14-2012, 03:22 PM

Final Approach!

It was a once in a lifetime experience to fly an RV over my native family's country of Ireland! One that I will never forget. Thanks Bryan!!

There were a few other birds at Newcastle Aerodrome when we landed. One was foreign to this land but very familiar looking to me.

Then we saw another -7 that belong to a friend of theirs. How often do you see an RV with a cow not more than 25 feet away?

Like I said...all kinds of birds over there!

Even live ones...

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 06-14-2012, 03:32 PM

They even had some new pups on the field.

We almost couldn't leave this one....

The day was getting late and the European World Cup finals match between Ireland and Croatia was fast approaching. We had to be off towards the pub!

Loman was an excellent host and ambassador for his country!! He drove us back home to collect our car so we could be off to the next adventure in Ireland. Thanks Loman...a true pleasure!

(For anyone interested in seeing some of the pics I took in Ireland go here)

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 06-14-2012, 03:37 PM

Default Ireland

NICE!

Another addition to my bucket list!
"Bucket List" checkoff in progress!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:07 PM

Default Sweet

Great trip you beat me this time long range I made it only to Nova Scotia. I will resurrect this thread in 12 years when I am able to visit Ireland in my RV9A probably still unpainted

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:32 PM

Default Very nice report

Nice report Tony. Having lived in the UK I can relate to the back garden "workshop". At the time I wasn't even considering building. Can only imagine the patience and challenges. I love that part of the world.
2021 =VAF= donor
Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 AM

What a beautiful country! Thanks for sharing for those who have yet to travel abroad. I have always dreamed of aviating in other lands and experiencing their own take on breaking the bond.