-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:41 AM

I'm a fair bit distant, and not going to Oshkosh but I would love to help this young man.
If there is some way to send a monetary contribution count me in.
John
Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 AM

Default Thanks to all...

I am so very proud to see the goodwill of this community! It's inspirational to me and incredibly positive for Alex and his family.

Looks like there are many things brewing here in Colorado, among the local EAA chapters, Young Eagles Volunteers and several local pilots and friends. I am trying to take it all in and put something together for him in an organized way. Transport to/from OSH is what I'm working on now. Once we have that, it will be figuring out accomodations, day tix and ground transportation (if needed). Also, some local flights to "test the waters" and his health are in the planning stages. I will report back as things develop. If there are expenses outstanding, we can discuss the financial help so many of you have offered. Scott, I'll plan with his family to get him to the YE day at Front Range on the 28th. Chad, anything you could do to help once he arrives at OSH would be great. Stay tuned.

P.S. Thank you to everyone for actually being the kind of people I've often said you were...

Mike
RV-10 - Working on engine / prop installation
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ig&project=803
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCyX2FXrlw
Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjensen View Post
Happy to help from the HQ side...keep me informed on the progress and I'll do what I can to make sure he has a special visit.
I am another "me too" candidate. I will help in anyway I can. Just let me know.

I don't know anything about the logistics of this idea, but, would it be possible to house this guy and his parents (if they come also) in the Air Academy Lodge during his trip to Oshkosh?

This sure sounds like a doable project for EAA to pull out the red carpet treatment for this family with lodging, tickets to the show, front row seats for the airshow, meet and greet with airshow performers, etc. Chad, what do you think?
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 04-17-2012, 03:08 PM

Default More upcoming opprtunities to make this happen....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 339A View Post
Hey Mike,

Chapter 301 has a Young Eagles day scheduled for 4/28/12 starting 8:00 AM. If he can make that, I know we will be able to take care of him. We can "test the water" as well to see how he does. From there with help from VAF community and Chad at HQ I'm betting we can get him to OSH.
Mike, as Scott has pointed out, and as I am sure you are already aware from the emails from the Colorado RVList group, Scott and Gary have already engaged the Chapter 301 YE coordinator, and emails have been forwarded to HQ as well.

As Scott mentioned, if he is well enough, the next YE Rally at Front Range Airport on the 28th of this month would a fantastic "local" opportunity for him. And if that one is too soon, there is another one in May that he can shoot for. I also wanted to add that the monthly Chapter 301 meeting is this Friday, at 7:00pm, at the South Metro Fire Rescue Authority Building: 9195 East Mineral Avenue Centennial , CO 80112. It is right near the IKEA store and is fairly easy to find. If you or the family want to come to the Chapter meeting to continue to spread the word about this, then this is yet another opportunity. UNfortunately this is one monthly meeting I will miss due to other commitments, but I will be at the YE rally on the 28th.

Of course you already know I am going to OSH by ground for year number 4, and I will be in Camp Scholler for the entire week. Just me and the kid driving up, so I have room for persons or cargo needed for this endeavor as necessary. My only limiting factor is that I will be there for ALL of Oshkosh, plus 2 days to drive up and another 2 to drive back. I am sure that logistics for any ground hauling for a shorter duration can be worked out as well.

Lemme know buddy! Amazing what happens when you ask for something from this fine group of RVators!
EAA Chapter 301
CFII/MEI, ATP
SportAir Workshop Graduate x 4: Sheet Metal, RV Building, Electrical, and Composite classes.
Tail Wheel Endorsement Completed
Empennage done, Wings in progress, N462AK reserved.

Last edited by Flyin'Bryan : 04-17-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 PM

Mike,
I live in the Denver area and am planning on making KOSH this summer. I may have an empty seat in my RV-8 and would be happy to help if I can. I know several RVators heading to the big show and maybe we could get a couple of RVs involved to get Alex and a parent/gaurdian out there. Let me know!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Default Me too.

I am heading out but have all the seats filled but would be more than willing to help pay for gas, food, lodging or anything else I can do.
Maybe we can each sponsor a day (tickets, food, lodging, t-shirts, ect.....)
I can definitely take him for a ride at the show with a few other planes but we really need to get him in a P-51 at Oshkosh!

RV-10 N104XP (1280 Hours)
RV-12 N321UT (Sold)
Old 04-18-2012, 12:52 PM

Default Alex to OSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSchmidt View Post
I am heading out but have all the seats filled but would be more than willing to help pay for gas, food, lodging or anything else I can do.
Maybe we can each sponsor a day (tickets, food, lodging, t-shirts, ect.....)
I can definitely take him for a ride at the show with a few other planes but we really need to get him in a P-51 at Oshkosh!
Scott,

Thanks for the offer. I am already trying to setup some rides for him and his family here in Colorado to gauge his health for a long CC to OSH. Jim Berry was kind enough to offer up a local flight in his RV-10, hangared out at Centennial. After that, it's setting up seats for him and at least one guardian to head to OSH and back.
RV-10 - Working on engine / prop installation
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ig&project=803
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCyX2FXrlw
Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 AM

Default Update - Step one - Local RV Flight Accomplished

I think that Mike may update this thread with additional info, so I won't steal too much thunder here, but since I was online I figured I would update everyone. After the original post and overwhelming response from the VAF community, some wheels were quickly put into motion to get Alex Cuellar up in an RV.

Well, that all came together yesterday when he showed up at KFTG during the monthly YE rally for Chapter 301. He was assigned a flight in an RV-6A owned by Gary Zilik, N99PZ, and the reports I received were that he had an awesome one hour flight.

Since I am a firm believer in the philosophy that flying is good for the soul, I am hoping that this will serve as the launching platform for continued efforts to get this young man up to Airventure this year.
EAA Chapter 301
CFII/MEI, ATP
SportAir Workshop Graduate x 4: Sheet Metal, RV Building, Electrical, and Composite classes.
Tail Wheel Endorsement Completed
Empennage done, Wings in progress, N462AK reserved.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM

Being down under, obviously there is nothing I can do apart from a donation. If this kid wants to go to Oshkposh - lets get him to Oshkosh. Please let me know of trust account details or what ever is being set up for this cause.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:21 PM

Default I was there too

Bryan,
I was at the YE flying day too. It was very well organized and Mike introduced me Alex and his mother. He had a great flight with Gary. A fun day for all the kids for sure.
Flying N376E