Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-1
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 PM

Default Photos from Hicks to Wetumpka

The memories of the RV-1 trip from Hicks to Wetumpka have finally been retrieved from the airplane. Two Two Charlie was reluctant to give up such treasures, but we were very persuasive.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1183473...eat=directlink
Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 PM

I was gonna go to Columbus, GA to see the RV1, so why not go a bit further to Watumpka, AL to see it and add another pushpin to the map? The weather was great as I continued past Columbus then onto a little town named Auburn. I could see a stadium near the center of town. Hey, those folks must enjoy a little football down there....

Watumpka is on the outskirts of Montgomery and I taxied in to find the little yellow airplane in Dan's hangar. He is lucky I showed up to help (i.e. hold tools, ask dumb questions) since he was by himself.

Now, RVs are fast but it took a little bit for me to figure out how I left Perry, Ga at 0945 and arrived at 0945 in Watumpka, Al. 130 miles away....hmmmm

A great morning with RVs

[IMG][/IMG]
Warner Robins, GA
A&P
APRS KJ4EFS

Last edited by bsacks05 : 03-18-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 PM

News update....we hope to put the RV-1 back on flight status tomorrow morning. Check flight at 8:30.

The cause of the stumble was classic.

The RV-1 has a gravity fuel system, with a Facet boost pump. Yesterday the gascolator and carb inlet strainer were pulled, checked, and cleaned, followed by a flow test.

Flow measured after the inlet strainer was 15 gph pump off and 18.75 gph boost pump operating.

Found a few rubbed spots on the ignition harness, some trash in the tank (which the gascolator easily catches) and nothing else. Bruce and I did two long runups with the airplane tied, tail in a ditch, nose up. It ran great, boost pump on and off.

Talked to James some last night. His description of the stumble just didn't seem like a single cylinder misfire (the ignition harness). Hmmm.

Called Walt this AM to to compare notes. We were out of ideas and about to hang up when Walt said, "Hey, maybe you should check the boost pump inlet". We agreed it was doubtful given the flow check results, but I'd do it anyway. It bothered us both just a little not to have a smoking gun.

Getting to the boost pump means crazy contortions for which I am too **** old, or tunneling in through the side:

Pulled the short fuel line between the tank valve and the fuel pump.....and this is what I found in the end of it:

That's a 7/16 wrench. The trash is a strip of ancient blue RTV silicone rubber, just the perfect size to act as a flap and block the pump inlet in a random manner. No idea where it came from....we noticed no silicone like it anywhere.

There was much rejoicing in Whoville. Good call Walt. We believe it to be the source of the problem. Flight test tomorrow will tell the tale.

Since I had the side open I even fixed the pedal geometry. Pilots are always making picky demands like "I want to push the rudder pedal without locking the brake".....sheesh. You would think it would be enough that we try to make the engines run all the time

Last edited by DanH : 03-18-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:12 PM

Default Much THANKS to Dan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
News update....we hope to put the RV-1 back on flight status tomorrow morning. Check flight at 8:30.

The cause of the stumble was classic.

Pulled the short fuel line between the tank valve and the fuel pump.....and this is what I found in the end of it:

It wasn't too bad, and it allowed me to find and fix the geometry problem with the left brake. Pilots are always making picky demands like "I want to push the rudder pedal without locking the brake".....sheesh.
Although the photo of what was found was missing, I will say that it was about 7/16" long by about 1/4" wide and 1/32"-1/16" thick. Just sitting there wait to raise its ugly head.

I feel a LOT better now that we found something as I **knew** there was a real engine stumble with me even though it had not occurred with others.

And the matter about fixing the brakes, well I guess I must admit that at least I am "guilty as charged". :-)

Another matter that Dan has addressed it the length of the seat belt for those who are too short to see over the cowl without a booster. It will really be appreciated by subsequent pilots. I know I do. :-)

James
APRS
Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 PM

Ooops!

I now see the "specimen".

James
APRS
Old 03-18-2012, 10:38 PM

Default Great job, Dan and James!

And, Walt! What a wonderful group of folks we have supporting the RV-1 tour. Paul is back (but brain-fried) and very relieved to hear that the RV-1 seems ready to a return to flight. We hope the local test flight in the morning goes without a hitch.

Thanks, again, for all of your efforts!
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)
Old 03-19-2012, 04:05 AM

Great work Dan! Thanks for perservering until you found a very likely cause for the stumble. And thanks for addressing that left brake issue.
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/
Old 03-19-2012, 05:40 AM

Default Sweet.

Dan...you are a great guy for giving so unselfishly to this project!

Thanks much,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 AM

Dan,

With all the talent and skill you guys on the east coast are bringing to bear on the RV-1, there'll be nothing left to do on it once it makes it out west.

Great bit of detective work, and thanks for contributing your time and skills.

Tim
Flown Sept. 12, 2007
1600 hours on the hobbs and loving it
Old 03-19-2012, 10:21 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Now that I am back in the country, and have better web access, let me add my thanks to Dan and the Watumpka crew for working on these details. We had a lot of fine folks work on the airplane in Texas, and it was amazing how many things got fixed. In retrospect, though, it is incredibly valuable to have yet another talented team take a look at the airplane to find additional discrepancies, and bring some new eyes and hands to the details.

I'm hoping to get out there this weekend to fly the airplane some more, and get it in to SnF - I am expecting that, like Tim said, there's not going to be much left to do but fly along in peace....

And thanks to Tanya for posting the pictures from the ferry "Shakedown" flight!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com