Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > International
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 AM

Some more photos. ( Note not in order of flight, just random shots )

The last photo on this page ( reply #11) is why I went from the East to west coast, so I could show my mum the finished plane.

This is Andrew and myself inside the 747 jumbo engine that is on display at the Longreach museum. You get a tour all over this huge thing.

Flooding on the way to Birdsville. A low front went from the north to the south of Oz, just had to let it pass, then move on. This is near the point that I turned back, I was down to around 500 ft here not happy, so back we went to Birdsville. After 30 mins with a 20 kt tail wind we got back, the sun was out and cloud base back up to 2500 ft. within mins that all changed. It turned out to be a good thing as I always wanted to say I had a beer at the Birdsville pub. They have a horse race here once a year in the outback, many if not most people flying in for the great day.

Salt ponds near Esperance. Mostly white, with the odd green and yellow one.

Almost at Busselton.

Seeing mum at my home town of Busselton.
0-360,carb,catto 3 blade.
VH-XJL

Last edited by Jamie Aust : 03-15-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:17 AM

On my return trip back to QLD , I had another friend Andre' to pick from Perth Airport, here we are at the start of our return trip.

This is Claus , he and Tania are the Forrest Airport Managers. Total population at forrest is 2 people, make that 4 with Andre' and myself. You dont get much more isolated than that.
Here he is showing us the old tank that needed a spruce up. Claus and Tania looked after our every need, I hope to drop in again and say hello, I will try and bring ice cream next time !

You can see here someone had cut out the shape of a wedge tail Eagle and it is used in the next photo.

Forrest was a MET station up until the 1990's. Now they have a meteorite camera, complete with photovoltaic panels, located on the old HUFDUF on the historic trail. This was put in by a college in London and built in Prague. There are now three of these cameras on the Nullarbor to triangulate the position of any meteorite.

VH-XJL

Last edited by Jamie Aust : 03-15-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:21 AM

At dusk these fellows are every where. They are vermin, but they do look cute.
Here is a Fact about rabbits in OZ.

The State Barrier Fence of Western Australia, formerly known as the No. 1 Rabbit-proof Fence, the State Vermin Fence and the Emu Fence, is a pest-exclusion fence constructed between 1901 and 1907 to keep rabbits and other agricultural pests, from the east, out of Western Australian pastoral areas.

There are three fences in Western Australia: the original No. 1 Fence, which crosses the state from north to south, the No. 2 Fence which is smaller and further west, and the smaller east-west running No. 3 fence. The fences took six years to build. When completed in 1907, the Rabbit-Proof Fence (including all three fences) stretched 2,021 miles (3,253 km). The cost to build the fences at the time was £337,841

The impressive wedge tail eagle looking for something to eat, better run rabbits !
A large brown bird of prey, it has a wingspan of up to 2.27 metres (7.4 ft) and a length up to 1.04 metres (3.4 ft).
The female Wedge-tailed Eagle weighs between 3 and 5.77 kg (6.6 and 12.7 lb), while the smaller males weigh 2 to 4 kg (4.4 to 8.8 lb)

I like this shot of the sunset over the rail line. A train called the Indian Pacific, passes here 4 times a week. That is how most thing are delivered to Forrest. Freight trains also pass day and night, these can often be over 1 km long, with multiple engines up front.

Here is andre' you can see behind him the free public transport on offer at Forrest(just under the "stop" right side), yes the good old push bike. I had not been on one of these for years, the next day my backside also told me that I had not road a bike in some time.

This is just out of the town of Ceduna, the beach look great. The wind was up so no swimming here.

The Cedun jetty first thing in the morning with the tide out.

VH-XJL

Last edited by Jamie Aust : 03-15-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:20 AM

Jamie
I hate to whine, but could you add a few captions so we can understand what various photo's are of/where they were taken (yes, Forrest is obvious).
John
Old 03-15-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtjrt View Post
Jamie
I hate to whine, but could you add a few captions so we can understand what various photo's are of/where they were taken (yes, Forrest is obvious).
John
Updated for you John, when I posted the pictures I didnt have time to leave comments, I was going to do it later tonight.

Im planning my next trip now, TBA
VH-XJL
Old 03-15-2012, 05:22 AM

For a guy who built his first plane, under some challenging times, and turned out a beauty, then with very few hours in his log book(licence only and a couple more), and not flying for 12 years, to now flying across a continent that is not like the USA where there is a town everywhere you look with at least a VOR, he has done an outstanding job.

I was privileged enough to do a great chunk of Jamie's test flying, and coaching him with conversion training, but best of all I have a new mate! And what a journey he has made, probably not cracked 150 hrs yet.

Job well done Jamie, I am very proud of your achievements.

DB
Old 03-15-2012, 04:37 PM

Thanks Dave, I do appreciate all your help !
I guess all those mini navs Dave and I have done, did pay off.
Yes Australia is a big open remote country, often in the middle, I did not have radio contact with anyone, for hours at a time.
I can now tick another thing off my bucket list.
1) build own plane, done
2) fly own plane across Australia and back, done.
The first leg over was most difficult for me as the other person was not a pilot, and that left all the flight decisions go/no go up to me.
However Andrew did a great job helping in the cockpit.
The return trip with Andre' who is a pilot, but has not flown for many years, made it a little easier for me.
VH-XJL flew great, all I needed to do was fill up and put some oil in every 10 hrs or so. What a great aircraft, thanks Vans !
VH-XJL
Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 PM

Default Oz Flight

Well done Jamie mate.......!! Hope I can do the same in an RV12 one day!
Cheers.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 PM

So Jamie, did you take your mum for a ride?

I really like your paint job. Nice job!
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 PM

Jamie,

Well done. I hope to get a ride or two next year when I will be on sabbatical in Tassie for a few weeks then on to WA (Perth, Kalgoorlie) for another few weeks. Not sure I will get to QLD on this trip but one never knows!

cheers,
Greg