- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM

Default RV-3 Takeoff and Landing

Ran across this video from about 7 yrs. ago of my old 125 hp, O-290G powered RV-3. Such a sweet plane. Performed well on that engine, and was light enough to comfortably make fairly slow, power-off approaches. It was very calm that day so this one was a hair under 65 mph, but I'd normally fly a little under 70, which produced a little more float. I miss that thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SEYs...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-30-2012, 02:00 PM

Thumbs up driveway?

Now Eric, were you using someone's driveway. That couldn't have been more than 25 feet wide. Thanks for posting, and enjoyed.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
Old 01-30-2012, 02:19 PM

Default 65mph landing

That most definitely looks like a sub-70mph short final (at 75mph, you're dedicated to landing, but at 65mph you're committed!) One of the nicest features of the light RV's is if you bounce it, then just 1/4" of throttle or so will produce enough wash over the wings to instantly arrest the descent, give you plently of time to decide to either try again or go around.

Your 'four-blade-prop' on climbout sure looks good!

- Steven
700+ RV3 hours
and counting
Old 01-30-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyEyeBall View Post
Now Eric, were you using someone's driveway. That couldn't have been more than 25 feet wide.
Bill, 36 ft. actually...just wide enough to barely see the runway edges in the Pitts on rollout. Moved off that field a couple years ago, and now have a big 100' wide runway. I seemed to make better landings at the old field (W17) in the video, especially from the other end going uphill. I can tell I've gotten lazier on rollout now with the wide runway.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Nice video Eric - I have gotten to watch Louise flying in and out of our 21' wide runway ("anything wider than your wingspan is wasted pavement!") in our -3...sure gets off the ground quick - just like yours!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 AM

Eric,
do you remember what prop combination you used, what your empty weight was, what you cruised at 65% power.. I have 135hp -3 that needs a new prop.
Thanks

Jeff
Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 AM

Default I would add a correction.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Nice video Eric - I have gotten to watch Louise flying in and out of our 21' wide runway ("anything wider than your wingspan is wasted pavement!") in our -3...sure gets off the ground quick - just like yours!
Anything much wider than you landing gear is wasted pavement. My runway is 1' narrower than Paul & Louise's.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearup View Post
Eric,
do you remember what prop combination you used, what your empty weight was, what you cruised at 65% power.. I have 135hp -3 that needs a new prop.
Thanks

Jeff
It had an Irlbeck 68x64 wood prop when I had it, which is a climb prop even for that engine. Empty weight was 690 lbs...it was bare bones as a J-3. I think I remember it cruising at 155 mph at 2400 rpm. One of the successive owners put a prop with a little more pitch on it. Not sure how it did, though.