Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:54 PM

Default Great feedback

Hey everybody,

Thanks for all the great input. Plenty of food for thought there. I get the feeling that I may be over doing the issue just a bit. Alumiprep and Alodine first then a BMS 10-11 which I can get here, is my thinking for all the internal surfaces.

Maybe a small spray booth for the smaller parts. I like Dans concept for simplicity. I have a lot of built in ventilation in my shop however due to the climate here so sucking out from the booth rather than blowing air in from the shop environment may work better???

Here it is more about cooling the workspace than heating it. 70 F is considered cold here and 100 + happens a lot in the summer in beautiful South East Queensland!! So we simlpy do not have furnace heaters in our houses so I am on the lookout for filters which are similar to what you describe.

I'll keep my thinking cap on guys. Please keep the thoughts coming.

Gerry.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry in Oz View Post
I have a lot of built in ventilation in my shop however due to the climate here so sucking out from the booth rather than blowing air in from the shop environment may work better???
Gerry, mine is actually a pull-through, but with explosion proof fans....solvent vapor passes through them. A push system can use a cheaper fan.

Next shop I'll do a push-through and pressurize the room. The sucking system tries to pull the garage door inward, so it has to be clamped to the opening or the booth has bug leaks around the door perimeter. Same is true of doorjambs for walk doors and gaps anywhere.

Again, that's for a finish paint booth. A filter box with a chicken wire top is all you need to spray primer without breathing it, and catch the overspray.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 PM

Default Primer Box

Here's what I built to do all of my priming. I took these photos right after I finished building it (almost 5 years ago now). It has worked out very well. The last photo shows the typical cheap 20" fan strapped to the bottom to pull air down through the top of the table. If you look close, you can see the 20" furnace filter in its slide rails right above the fan. I was bit space limited in my shop so I built this with folding legs so I could get it out of the way when needed.

First Flight July 26th, 2014
837 hours and counting . . . .
28 Pilots N Paws Flights
Now based at Moontown (3M5)

Last edited by Dan Langhout : 11-12-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:39 PM

Here's an easy booth. You could do it out of PVC if you wanted to. Worked great.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...4/Paint%20Job/
Old 01-20-2012, 11:23 PM

Default Think about the paint

I also built a pvc and plastic paint booth. I did this primarily to control dust and dog hairs. I used Stewart Systems water bourn two part paint. It is much less toxic than pretty much anything else I could find. Have a look at that as it will vastly reduce your toxic fume issue.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA
Old 01-21-2012, 02:05 PM

Location: Midland, Michigan 3BS Hanger 4B and sometimes at home
Default I use a 10x10

Portable shed I purchased from tractor supply ($169). I have it set up in the hanger which I use for sanding and priming primarily to keep the dust and overspray confined. I also taped resin paper to the floor to keep it clean. Works well.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N130PM View Post
Here's an easy booth. You could do it out of PVC if you wanted to. Worked great.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...4/Paint%20Job/
Nice paint job, did you have to bribe the neighbors? Ha Ha. any issues after the clear? did you cut and polish
Old 01-21-2012, 06:21 PM

Garage-in-a-Box seems like the perfect way to set up an outdoor booth for doing a paint job in the warmer months. The local Rural King store has the 12x20 for $329.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 PM

Default RE: Like This Plus ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbob View Post
Garage-in-a-Box seems like the perfect way to set up an outdoor booth for doing a paint job in the warmer months. The local Rural King store has the 12x20 for $329.

Like this Bob.....

Plus

the more home made .....

Painting is a WHOLE BUNCH OF WORK ......

Last edited by fstringham7a : 01-23-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 PM

Default Another sray booth data point

Here's a link to a Tour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkoc_...e_gdata_player
Here's some KitLog
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...=108536&row=34

I had the luxury of a lot of space.

Re dust control: one critical issue is getting in and out with the fans on. If you open the door with the fan on, you get a plume of dust over your work. You want to be able to turn the fans off and on from the inside and the outside. Putting a 3 way switch in was worth the work.

Re: primer & final paint - treat them as completely separate tasks. Any setup will give you acceptable primer results... No setup will give you perfect final paint results. In retrospect, I would have done minimal priming and still want to redo the final paint.

Before the tail kit, I had decided on never doing paint except perhaps for some prime. In the end, the paint was the most satisfying part of the build... And the most challenging. Go figure