Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2011, 08:13 PM

Exclamation This can't be good!

Thanks for all the help guys. So I went to the hangar to pull off the MTH and inspect it and the suspect Magnetic pickup sensor. I was in luck as my hangar neighbor, who is an electronics guru, was there so we tested the magnetic pickup sensor. Test 1) passed the Ohm test with 676ohms (good is 600-800), Test 2) Passed the voltage test when manually turned and Test 3) he broke out a "Scope" to measure the voltage wave (I am sure I dumbing this down). All three passed, so the magnetic pickup sensor is good.

When I inspected the MTH and pulled off the back cover to check the gap between the teeth and sensor per Rocket Bob's recommendation, this is what I found:

"Oh this can't be good!"

FYI: I found this before we tested the Magnetic Pickup sensor and only effect it had on the tests, was on the scope there was a break in the 'wave' that corresponded to the bent teeth. Taking a close look at the teeth, there are no scratches, dents, dings of any kind on the teeth or the housing wall to say that a piece of debris caused the bending. My initial thought was that upon installing the Magnetic Pickup sensor, the previous owner might have pushed it in too far, but don't think the gap is big enough for the sensor to have caused the problem, also again there are no scratches, dents or dings on the teeth!

So now, here is where I am:
Circuit board: Checks good with ElectroAir
Both Coils: Checks good with ElectroAir
Direct Ign Unit: Checks good with ElectroAir
Magnetic Pickup Sensor: Checks good
10amp Breaker Switch: Brand new, checks good
Magnetic timing housing: 2 bent teeth!!!

Where do I go from here? I don't think the bent teeth would be causing the problem I am having. Also I don't know if the flywheel with the bent teeth can be replaced. Talking with ElectroAir, a new MTH is $350.

My only thought is that maybe it is a wiring issue and I could go in and replace all wiring associated with the system.

Thanks for the help guys!

Dan

(Who said ownership wasn't fun? ) haha

Dan Thompson
RV-6A - N426JM - 180hp / C.S. / dual PMags
NC26 - Long Island Airpark, NC
Old 12-23-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega232Devils View Post
Where do I go from here? I don't think the bent teeth would be causing the problem I am having.
The heck it ain't! Definitely your problem. The ignition determines TDC to be the leading edge of the 11th tooth past the two missing teeth. If it can't reliably make this count your ignition will quit working or work very intermittently.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:19 PM
VAF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbob View Post
The heck it ain't! Definitely your problem. The ignition determines TDC to be the leading edge of the 11th tooth past the two missing teeth. If it can't reliably make this count your ignition will quit working or work very intermittently.
Bob's right. Those bent teeth need to be addressed. Will Electroair sell just the gear? If not maybe someone on the list has a spare MTH sitting around that they would part with as $350 seems a little steep in my book. I have a spare but don't want to part with it.

On another note; I ran the 386 plugs for quite some time until one of them turned into a glow plug and destroyed a cylinder. I talked to the guys at P-Mag and was instructed on how to convert the auto wires to accept aviation plugs. I've been happy ever since. I favor running the aviation plugs as I know they are the correct plug for the engine. While the auto plugs are inexpensive and a lot of guys through them away after a year. I just clean and gap them every 100 hours. They last about 800 hours so I figure the cost is about the same.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:04 PM

Default On the O320H2AD with dual mag on the -8A I fly

the pickup sensor is mounted on a bracket behind the flywheel and picks up off of the flywheel teeth ---- cannot get to it without pulling prop and flywheel.

Ron
Old 12-24-2011, 06:08 PM

Thanks Ron, yeah I only have the MTH sensor. I have read about the CSTW sensor you are referring to.

I am not sure what ElectroAir will have to say. I will call them first thing Monday morning and get the verdict. My guess, based upon the quality of service I have received to date, is they will not replace the gear, but will offer a new MTH for the $350. (I found a dealer offering one for $225, but not sure if it is an old ad. I have an email into them to check the price)

RocketBob has a solution by machining a new gear drive if needed, so hopefully this will fix it if ElectroAir will not supply the gear.

Will keep everyone posted on what they say.

Dan

Dan Thompson
Old 12-27-2011, 11:49 PM

Lightbulb Heard from Electroair!

Just thought I would give everyone an update. Electroair finally got back to me today. I sent them the pictures posted above. RocketBob was Right!

" The good news is, with the photos you have sent to me we have found the problem with your system. The system counts the on off pulses created by the teeth passing the sensor and needs a correct count before it starts the ignition sequence.* With the teeth like that, your system can not get a correct count in order to start firing. The bad news is you need to replace the entire housing. The cost for a brand new housing is $375. This should solve your problem though."

Thanks for all the help,VAF rocks!

Dan

Dan Thompson
Old 01-08-2012, 08:06 PM

If you did a search on Electroair then you know the problems I ran into a year ago. The board died of old age per EI's assessment (how old is your unit). I'll sell you the entire pickup, two coils on the gold board, plug wires. Whole unit has 30 hours on it. $250.00
Old 01-08-2012, 09:24 PM

Default Thanks for the offer!

I appreciate the offer. I was able to pick up a unit from a VAF member, so I am finally back in the air. Sorry to hear about your "old age" board. I got the same treatment from ElectroAir, regarding my board. They were so sure it was my board and told me to send it to them for diagnostic and repair. Only after I sent it in, did they say they were "not allowed" to fix it. Not able, but rather not allowed. (Good thing my board passed the diagnostic test)
I am a huge fan of the gold board ElectroAir/Jeff Rose ignition, but am not a fan of the ElectroAir customer service and support.

Dan

Dan Thompson