camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2022, 08:40 PM

Default RV7 ref

Thanks Tom for the suggestions. I will definitely make up some 90 and 45 bend tubes to use for templates. I've got the RV-7 plans and they have been useful but the RV-6 has different central structure and there is no tunnel on the floor to run piping and wiring unless I modify the structure.

So far I have installed the bulkhead fittings in the side skins near the leading edge of the wing root. The brake and vent lines will run aft within the wing root area. Access is tight around the tank mount fuselage bracket and it took me half a day to make the one brake line. I had considered using the Rocket method of coiled vent lines in the wing root but couldn't see how they would be supported or exit through the bottom skin.

I haven't yet worked out where to mount the fuel boost pump (carb engine) and gascolator. The RV-6 has the pump on the side wall, whereas the RV-7 drawings show it on the firewall connected to the fuel valve via a tube running under the floor in the tunnel.

I can see how the newer kits with detailed FWF plans and comprehensive FWF kits will be much quicker to construct. I'm finding it very time consuming to work out the details and the many small parts to be (back-) ordered from ACS and then wait for international shipping to deliver.

I am glad I did not rivet on the fwd top fuselage skin since having off is good for access. I also took out the rudder bars and brake pedals for better access while working on the hard lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220920_085805.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	31253  
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, fuselage almost done, working on canopy.
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 09-19-2022, 10:01 PM

Default using the 7 center console in a 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
I've got the RV-7 plans and they have been useful but the RV-6 has different central structure and there is no tunnel on the floor to run piping and wiring unless I modify the structure.
Hey, make it easy on yourself Paul. Use the 7 plans for all the plumbing routing, air-frame penetrations, firewall penetrations, fuel pump location, gascolator location, etc. Then, install the 7 center console/tunnel cover (sorry, don't have the p/n). It provides a place to hide plumbing and wiring up the center of the floor pan. I did this along with changing the engine control cable locations (no center vertical bar, mounted them horizontally across the bottom of the instrument panel). I also fabricated a fiberglass front cover to finish off the fuel selector mount. A bit extra custom work, but it really made the plumbing and wiring easier and cleaned up the interior look.

Here's some photos:

Name:	build 2-008.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	817.8 KB
ID:	31255 Click image for larger version

Name:	build 2-010.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	813.5 KB
ID:	31256 Click image for larger version

Name:	build 2-078.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	545.9 KB
ID:	31257 Click image for larger version

Name:	build 2-081.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	566.4 KB
ID:	31258
Phase II - 5/19/14
Old 09-20-2022, 02:59 AM

Default Productive session

Those photos are helpful Steve, thanks, and your pipe work looks really good. I could probably fabricate a cover from sheet metal to go between the central floor stiffeners, similar to the RV-7.

I managed to get the right hand vent line done, eventually, after generating a bit of waste. Initially I attempted to measure and plan the job beforehand but in the end it was "easier" to stand alongside the fuselage and bend each segment one at a time.

Name:	20220920_153432.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	31262
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, fuselage almost done, working on canopy.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:11 AM

Default Revised fuel system layout

Thanks to info from Tom, Steve and others I completed the internal brake and tank vent lines and started preparing for the fuel lines.

The support structure and mounting plate for the fuel selector and manual trim knob is now more like on the RV-7/9 and the fuel line will run down the centre of the floor to the electric boost pump on the firewall, rather than on the left side of the cockpit.

I fabricated a cover to go over the floor tunnel and later on may make a central storage bin for charts, drink bottle etc.

I'm finding this plumbing and system work to be much more time consuming than the earlier sheet metal work on the airframe that gave quicker (relatively) results.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221002_134833.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	31750  Click image for larger version

Name:	20221002_134859.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	31751  Click image for larger version

Name:	20221002_162111.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	31752  
Old 10-02-2022, 06:18 AM

Quote:
finding this plumbing and system work to be much more time consuming than the earlier sheet metal work on the airframe that gave quicker (relatively) results.
A sure sign you’ve reached the 90% stage…

www.aerofun.ch
YLL On Tour... the blook:
https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=210564

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 10-02-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
I'm finding this plumbing and system work to be much more time consuming than the earlier sheet metal work on the airframe that gave quicker (relatively) results.
Yep, that’s airplane building, “fit, trim, repeat”. What you’re doing looks good, keep it up.
Phase II - 5/19/14
Old 10-02-2022, 08:03 AM

Paul-----looks really good. Stay with it!
Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 10-02-2022, 07:57 PM

Paul. Looking at your pictures I see u are working on the cockpit floor. I have a suggestion for u that makes entry & exit much easier. I put a 90deg angle, 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8” on the floor across the vertical risers. See pix :

This provides u leverage that the floor does not. Some add the Antisplat old man exit bar. But this to me is far easier -and cheaper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	86C0D061-8C56-4085-B8DC-37502D6AF508.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	31802  
RV 7A RV #9700 May 2017
N325KS the Flying “K”
Built in SoCal KCCB, now in GA @ KPXE
1,000+ Hours & 7X cross the USA
OSH flyin 2018, 2019 & 2022.
Petit Jean 2019, 2021 & 2022
Old 11-18-2022, 08:15 PM

Default Fuel tanks setback

I made a rather unpleasant discovery when I removed the tank inner access plates to carry out the Vans service bulletin that is to put safety wire on the B-nuts for the fuel pickup tubes.

I had completed building the tanks waaay back (25 years or so) and used the Vans-supplied Proseal, then leak tested etc. and have had them stored empty ever since.

Well guess what... all the Proseal that is on the inside has broken down and turned to goo! That includes also the Proseal that Vans applied to the pre-made fuel pickup tube screens, so it wasn't caused by a bad batch or mix or anything like that. The Proseal that is on the outside of the tanks is still fine, so it must be the confined space that has contributed to destroying the adhesive.

There's probably not too many options for recovery other than to open up and somehow clean off all the gunk and start again! Though I feel like attacking the whole f'ing thing with a hammer and carting it off to the tip.

No wonder I've been procrastinating that SB, must have been a premonition. I thought that getting the access plates off would be the hard part (and it was) but that was only the tip of the iceberg...

I guess it is lucky though that the tanks needed to be opened up again, otherwise I wouldn't have known until after painting, or worse, flying with them like that.

Plan B, if I cannot reseal, will be to build new tanks (assuming parts are still available). The great difficulty with attempting to do this is that my kit was not pre-punched and the screw holes that attach the tank to the wing were laid out manually and would somehow need to be replicated on a new tank. Hopefully Plan A will succeed though I expect it will take a couple of weeks of messy work to open, clean and reseal all of the seams and rivet tails.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221118_082054.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	34010  Click image for larger version

Name:	20221118_082112.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	34011  Click image for larger version

Name:	20221118_082448.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	34012  
Old 11-22-2022, 01:32 AM

Default RV Grin

Sterling from Vans Support replied about the tank sealant issue and says that this is a very unusual problem and is usually confined to one or two spots, rather than the entire inside of the tank.

The suggested repair is to remove the back baffle plate, or cut access holes and then re-seal, so that is where I've started. Thanks to VAF and DanH idea to use a fly cutter with a slow hand drill it takes about 10 minutes to make each opening.

The tank inside is in pristine condition. The only evidence that they were leak tested with Avgas is a tiny spot of blue dye, which is still wet after 25 years.

Acetone dissolves the tacky Proseal however it is going to be a tedious job to clean it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221122_131822.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	34125  Click image for larger version

Name:	20221122_145150.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	34126  Click image for larger version

Name:	20221122_145051.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	506.3 KB
ID:	34127