Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2020, 10:30 AM

Smile

I fabricated short extensions to the firewall ribs to make the "tip down" extension.

The top skin will still fit...
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 04-26-2020, 09:41 PM

Default Tilted firewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
The "tip forward" firewall was before that. I finished my RV-6s in early '93 and had that update.
Thanks Mel, so therefore mine should be OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
I fabricated short extensions to the firewall ribs to make the "tip down" extension.

The top skin will still fit...

I just went and measured the ribs that go between the firewall and the instrument panel, F-6107 and F-6108 (I have a slider), the dimensions match the latest CD plans, so that appears to confirm that it is indeed kitted for the tip forward firewall.

One of the advantages I like about the older plans is that there are enough dimensions so you can fab your own parts if you need to. I've also had to modify some other ribs by cutting off and repositioning flanges to get things to fit properly, e.g. in the baggage area.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build

Last edited by PaulvS : 04-26-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:43 PM

Default Working on

Resurrection of my relic project continues, I am managing to work on it almost every day, some days I make more progress than others, there has been quite a re-learning curve.

This was the view from my shop window this morning, it helps to get me out of bed and I dream of one day flying around the peak.

After preparing the brake pedal parts I riveted everything together and found that the earlier two pedals were too wide to fit the rudder bars. The newer pair were fine, so I only had to re-do one set. I prefer to fix problems as I go, while things are still fresh. The rudder pedal uhmw mounting blocks from the original kit were drilled out of alignment, so I also needed to fabricate some new blocks.

Here is the set up that gives maximum forward tilt for the brake pedals. The metal strap is simulating the brake cylinder mounting holes that are 7.5" apart.

NEXT PHASE

The fuselage frame is completely riveted now and I am working on installing the skins.

This is what I use to lay out the holes, I have plastic strips made up with various hole spacing: 1", 1 1/4" etc. and they are flexible enough to follow curves.

Strip being used here to mark the bottom skin before drilling to the skeleton:

I'm going very carefully and slowly with the skins to get the best possible fit.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:04 AM

Hi Paul,
I'm in Temora NSW and have recently acquired an RV-6 kit, partly built. It is about 1996 with pre punched wing skins, so not quite like yours.
It is our third build.
Interested in comparing notes.
Cheers
Mike
Old 05-03-2020, 07:13 AM

Sure a very nice (and big) country you guys down under have! How lucky you are...
Thanks for sharing that beautiful mountain shot, as well as the rest of your build.

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 05-03-2020, 07:31 AM

Default Contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeholl View Post
Hi Paul,
I'm in Temora NSW and have recently acquired an RV-6 kit, partly built. It is about 1996 with pre punched wing skins, so not quite like yours.
It is our third build.
Interested in comparing notes.
Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike, happy to compare notes with a fellow partner in crime, PM if you want and I will send you my contact details. Cheers, Paul.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:36 AM

Default Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee 57 View Post
Sure a very nice (and big) country you guys down under have! How lucky you are...
Thanks for sharing that beautiful mountain shot, as well as the rest of your build.
Thanks Dan, the mountains here are nothing like your Alps.
Much of our land is flat and dry and any peaks stand out - this helps with local navigation!
Old 05-13-2020, 07:21 AM

Wink Started on fuse skins

It was quite a battle to get the aft side skins fitted onto the fuselage. Initially, the curved over section of the long side skins was not rolled enough to properly fit over the belly skin. So I clamped the edge of the skin between some boards and gradually curled it over to get it to fit better before starting to drill it on.

Once the sides were drilled, the next challenge was to eliminate ripples in the belly edge of the skin due to some bulging bulkhead and alignment problems. Thanks to VAF and some helpful folk I found a solution, this took about a week to work out.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=182112

After fixing the bulkhead that was too narrow, I have been able to continue on with drilling the remainder of the aft fuselage onto the skeleton and now it looks like this, and there is NO MORE RIPPLE IN THE SKIN!!:

The next stage is to tidy up some remaining holes that need to be drilled around the tail cone and bulkhead corners.

And thanks to John, Andrew, Russell, Brian and Peter I should have enough clecoes to hold everything together! (Not so sure about holding onto my sanity though after this last episode! )
Old 05-13-2020, 11:03 PM

Default Looking good

You and I are just about in the same exact spot in our builds. I'm glad to see that pile of random parts shrinking! Looks like you're making the most of your free time too.
-Wings complete
-Fuselage in progress
My build log
Old 05-16-2020, 07:45 AM

Default Building along

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattasmith12 View Post
You and I are just about in the same exact spot in our builds. I'm glad to see that pile of random parts shrinking! Looks like you're making the most of your free time too.
Hi Matt, yes indeed we are just about at the same stage. I've got more done in the last 2 months, thanks to isolation, than in the preceding 20 years. Apart from also moving house twice in those 20 years.

The lower rear fuselage skins are fully clecoed on now. Next step is skins F-677 and F-676 beneath the seats and the baggage compartment. I'm wondering what surprises are in store. These skins are just rectangular flat .025 however they need to make a compound curve over the ribs, so I'm guessing that some "pillowing" is inevitable, since the skin hasn't been shrunk or stretched to match the form of the ribs.

There's also some trimming and rolling involved to marry up with the aft section and trying to get that looking as neat as possible.

I plan on back drilling these skins, so as to miss the flutes in all of the floor ribs. That means more crawling around on the floor under the jig, so the yoga mats will come in handy.

Last edited by PaulvS : 05-16-2020 at 07:48 AM.