- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:52 PM

Default RV12 roll right

Just getting my rv12 in the air after 4 years. I have an issue of it rolling to the right. Not noticeable at pattern speeds, but requires a fair amount of left force at cruising. I have tried 'pinching' the left aileron of couple of times. No help. Should I be adjusting the ailerons? High wing up or low wing down?
Old 05-06-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybhansen View Post
Just getting my rv12 in the air after 4 years. I have an issue of it rolling to the right. Not noticeable at pattern speeds, but requires a fair amount of left force at cruising. I have tried 'pinching' the left aileron of couple of times. No help. Should I be adjusting the ailerons? High wing up or low wing down?
Been working the same exact issue right Heavy Wing, except when full flaps are applied both sides are equal. I?m still working the issue. On my fourth test Flight.
N112DR (RV-12iS) (SOLD)
Airworthiness signed off by the FAA 1/23/2020
First Flight on 3/14/2020
Phase I Finished on 5/7/2020
Serial#12-0864
https://youtube.com/c/CraftingN112DR
VAF donation made for 2021
Old 05-06-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Adjusting ailerons up or down won?t help. They?ll just equilibrate in flight. Something more subtle. Check angle of attack both sides, compare aileron hinge lines?vertical heights, ...
Old 05-06-2020, 10:13 PM

Add trim tabs. Not elegant, but effective.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:56 AM

Has been discussed here before at various times:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...t=aileron+roll
Shape of wing skin training edge has a significant effect on roll, but is easy to adjust.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:30 AM

I bought my 12 from original owner with 48TT. The airplane had a small trim tab fastened to the left flaperon with double-sided tape. It worked but the trim tab looked obnoxious and tape isn’t exactly structural. I removed the trim tab and the plane flew with a very heavy right wing.

I checked and adjusted the straightness of the upper wing skin that trails behind the spar and also squeezed the trailing edge of the flaperons. Neither solution fixed the problem.

What I did find extremely effective was changing the height of the flaperon pivots. Its been several years now, so I can’t remember exact adjustments, but basically what you want to do is raise flaperon pivot on one wing and lower pivot on the other wing. Perhaps start with ½ turn up on right wing and ½ turn down on left wing and test fly. Again, I can’t remember which flaperon I raised and lowered. No big thing – just note the change and test fly. First test flight will tell you if you’re adjusting in correct direction. If wing is heavier in flight then do opposite correction.

I believe I ended up changing pivot heights by one turn of the rod ends. One wing one-turn up and the other wing one-turn down. Plane now flies hands-off and ball is centered in cruise flight. Deploying flaps anywhere in the white arc is still hands-off level flight.

Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 750

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 05-07-2020, 05:25 AM

Behold..... The Omgomulator !

This can put a lot of pressure on the trailing edge so use it very sparingly. It took 3 flights on the first RV12 and 2 flights on the second RV12 to make it fly hands off wings level.

Make sure you take time to round the corners, dimensions can be seen, plumbers pliers applies the pressure. It needs small and multiple tiny squeezes, sight down the trailing edge and check for pillowing.

Also consider lateral loading - if you have a passenger and a full tank, it makes a difference !

Be careful !

Donated in 2021
Old 05-07-2020, 09:58 AM

is it more pronounced with flaps deployed/?

HDDAHL
Old 05-07-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Cable tensions
Old 05-07-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
I bought my 12 from original owner with 48TT. The airplane had a small trim tab fastened to the left flaperon with double-sided tape. It worked but the trim tab looked obnoxious and tape isn?t exactly structural. I removed the trim tab and the plane flew with a very heavy right wing.

I checked and adjusted the straightness of the upper wing skin that trails behind the spar and also squeezed the trailing edge of the flaperons. Neither solution fixed the problem.

What I did find extremely effective was changing the height of the flaperon pivots. Its been several years now, so I can?t remember exact adjustments, but basically what you want to do is raise flaperon pivot on one wing and lower pivot on the other wing. Perhaps start with ? turn up on right wing and ? turn down on left wing and test fly. Again, I can?t remember which flaperon I raised and lowered. No big thing ? just note the change and test fly. First test flight will tell you if you?re adjusting in correct direction. If wing is heavier in flight then do opposite correction.

I believe I ended up changing pivot heights by one turn of the rod ends. One wing one-turn up and the other wing one-turn down. Plane now flies hands-off and ball is centered in cruise flight. Deploying flaps anywhere in the white arc is still hands-off level flight.

+1
Do this. Raising the pivot point makes that wing ?heavier?. It?s pretty sensitive.