Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2020, 07:46 PM

Default Garmin750/auto pilot w Canopy release

well I think that aerobatics is out for me with the my germin 750/autopilot stack.

There is no way to install the canopy release with this stack. Well at least the way I have it stacked. The throw of the release mechanism is about 4 inches. The canopy release has to be higher than the plans placement. The canopy hits the release arm. I was trying to come up with a way to cut the pull and reconnect it in a way that it will work. I can't figure it out.

The canopy is about 1.75" thick at the aft side. This point is about 5" into the sub panel area. At that point the release arm would be about 1 3/8" form the top of the canopy, so about 3/8" too high. I am not sure bending would help since the distance the arm has to travel for fully engaged to pin release.

Trying to put the release arm straight down like Bill R did in is 9 won't work either. The connections for the 750 are in the way.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Does anyone have an answer? Am I missing something simple.

FaceBook Page: Ken's RV-14
RV-14a (serial number 140073)
N73XP

Plane at hangar and the wings ON.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:47 AM

I had the same issue and ended up putting the canopy release handle to the right of the center stack and used a cable instead of the supplied pull rod attachment.

Will post more photos next time I get to the airplane.

Carbon Cub FX-3 CCX-2000 (N134PB)
Old 05-07-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaCub View Post
I had the same issue and ended up putting the canopy release handle to the right of the center stack and used a cable instead of the supplied pull rod attachment.

Will post more photos next time I get to the airplane.

Man, I'm saving this photo. I want my -14A panel to look just like this! Super nice!!
* (VS, Rudder, HS complete, elevators in progress)
* Donated for 2016, 2017
Old 05-07-2020, 07:37 AM

Default Different model, same issue.

Not a simple solution, but at the recommendation of several on this forum, we engineered a locking handle cable release on our RV-7A installed by the left knee of the pilot. Since the mechanism is very similar and the center stack issue is the same, I expect you could install a cable release too. Great for canopy maintenance as well.

I?ll be glad to send you pictures. Krea dot Ellis at gmail dot com

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 "Princess Amelia" - gone home to Amelia Island
RV-7A Phase 2 (Honored to be Van's "Miss July" 2021)
RV-10 under construction at Synergy Air South
Old 05-07-2020, 07:43 AM

I figured that someone would have figured it out. I would like to know where you got the cable. I have been trying to figure out how to put another arm on the mechanism so pushing forward from the other side would slide the hinge pins out. Then using a lever system would allow you to pull out from below to open.

Pictures would be great.

N73XP

Old 05-07-2020, 10:39 AM

That was one of the reasons I chose to remote-mount the audio panel, Comm2, and transponder.

RV-8 N118KB (#81125) - Sold
RV-14A N114KB (#140494) - Sold

RV-14A.com
N114KB Build Site
Old 05-07-2020, 11:37 AM

Ken--

My panel is nearly identical to yours--alll my stuff is remote as well, but that does not matter. There is one 'huge" difference between our panels, which I have told Steinair about already. Your 750 lines up with the top of the G3X, while mine lines up with the bottom. This puts my 750 about 1/2" higher than yours and that is all she wrote. Won't work on mine while it will with yours.

The center for the hole in mine is 1.25" down from the top, yours is probably 1.75".

You can see my panel on steinair's website--73XP.

cheers

N73XP

Old 05-07-2020, 12:38 PM

Default Skip the Handle

To my knowledge, a tip-up has never been ejected in flight, probably never in an on-ground emergency as well. My handle is shortened and pinned at the sub-panel. If I want to remove the canopy, it has to be open and I have to pull a cotter pin. No wasted space on or behind the instrument panel. On the other hand, I miss first time passengers asking "what happens if I pull that handle?"

Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP
Old 05-07-2020, 12:44 PM

that is what I have done at this point. Interestingly, I will be having people ask me about the Canopy Jettison label with no handle.

I guess I could install the handle and pull it out in flight to just freak out passengers.

N73XP

Old 05-07-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmanreef View Post
My panel is nearly identical to yours--alll my stuff is remote as well, but that does not matter. There is one 'huge" difference between our panels, which I have told Steinair about already. Your 750 lines up with the top of the G3X, while mine lines up with the bottom. This puts my 750 about 1/2" higher than yours and that is all she wrote. Won't work on mine while it will with yours.
Yep, that would be a killer. They initially tried to slide my 750 up where yours is, but I knew that it would be an issue and specified that it be moved down to align with the upper edges of the G3X screens. That aside, pure aesthetics demanded that alignment. In the end, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Maybe just have Stein cut another panel (should only be a few hundred bucks) and transfer everything over?

RV-8 N118KB (#81125) - Sold
RV-14A N114KB (#140494) - Sold

RV-14A.com
N114KB Build Site