to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
they are on the way.

USPS: 9405503699300326007683

give my regard to Lucy's Restaurant. best Taco's around.
Sweet.....
Old 04-13-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
they are on the way.

USPS: 9405503699300326007683

give my regard to Lucy's Restaurant. best Taco's around.
Thank you Steve, they will be put to good use. I didn't even notice how many medical people's ear's are in bad shape, most complain of the hand chapping from maximum scrubbing. Your efforts will be truly appreciated!

If you love Lucy's and you're in the area, I'll treat you there and then Leo's as both are top notch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gan View Post
Checked with my local hospital if they could use them and they replied we will take as many as you can make, so I cranked up my prusa today. It seems that with the shortage of commercial masks there are allot of donations pouring in that are making them out of cloth so they may not have elastic bands and need to be tied, so I think this may make things simpler. Anyway, glad to help and put the filament to good use.
If you guys are making these and call someone in the hospitals near you (especially ER and ICU) I guarantee you they'll take them. I read this one post and was elivering reports to some of the offices and ALL the staff have "red ear" syndrome and were interested. This effort will not go unappreciated and it's THIS type of effort that makes a difference.

EDIT: I'm here because I fly an RV-7A, but didn't build it, so generally am just checking things out. I paid dues for most of the years I was flying a Grumman Tiger (74630 - it's in California now with the new owner). I think I owe this year's dues and need to forward to Doug Reeves ...

Last edited by daniel_hagan : 04-13-2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:07 PM

Had a couple requests for Wonder Woman from nurse friends. Shaped this one with hot water after printing in PLA.

All files here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/funbobby2001/designs
RV-12iS #121228
  • My opinions are JUST my opinions, not facts
  • Regardless of phrasing or colorfulness, my opinion does not imply that any opposing opinions are wrong or ANY less valid than my own
  • Respect people by giving your own opinion without attacking or belittling others
  • Passive-aggressive is not better than overt-aggressive
  • When I fail to meet these standards, please call me out, gently
Old 04-14-2020, 07:08 PM

Did you paint that, or are you printing in 3 colors?

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 04-14-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_hagan View Post
If you guys are making these and call someone in the hospitals near you (especially ER and ICU) I guarantee you they'll take them.
Ha! Not here. the big hospitals informed the guy who was trying to coordinate an effort locally that they "don't allow their personnel to wear homemade PPE".

No matter. Every single person I've given them to has been appreciative, including the nurses at a small privately run urgent care. I just shipped a box to my sister's ex-husband, who's a rent-a-nurse in Atlanta. My hotend gave up the ghost yesterday, but as soon as the new one arrives this week I'll be back in business. I'm working on some cooling mods to the printer while it's down for parts. It prints PLA just fine all day long, but PETG causes overheating problems.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 04-14-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
Did you paint that, or are you printing in 3 colors?
I just do a filament change between layers, nothing too fancy.
RV-12iS #121228
  • Regardless of phrasing or colorfulness, my opinion does not imply that any opposing opinions are wrong or ANY less valid than my own
  • Respect people by giving your own opinion without attacking or belittling others
Old 04-14-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
Ha! Not here. the big hospitals informed the guy who was trying to coordinate an effort locally that they "don't allow their personnel to wear homemade PPE".

No matter. Every single person I've given them to has been appreciative, including the nurses at a small privately run urgent care. I just shipped a box to my sister's ex-husband, who's a rent-a-nurse in Atlanta. My hotend gave up the ghost yesterday, but as soon as the new one arrives this week I'll be back in business. I'm working on some cooling mods to the printer while it's down for parts. It prints PLA just fine all day long, but PETG causes overheating problems.
I think the key is knowing nurses or doctors who work there and providing them directly with a few to start out.
RV-12iS #121228
Old 04-15-2020, 10:25 AM

I have printed well over a thousand of these straps. Unit #4 came on-line over the weekend. it was a used unit that needed TLC: new stepper motors, new belts, new bed liner, new Y-axis bushings, new software, realignment, calibration, nozzle, etc. She is purring like a kitten. if you have multiple printers it is beneficial to have identical units.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 04-15-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I have printed well over a thousand of these straps. Unit #4 came on-line over the weekend. it was a used unit that needed TLC: new stepper motors, new belts, new bed liner, new Y-axis bushings, new software, realignment, calibration, nozzle, etc. She is purring like a kitten. if you have multiple printers it is beneficial to have identical units.
Nice! I'm still using the RepRap I built 7 years ago. Maybe one day I'll get a real Prusa.

RV-12iS #121228
Old 04-15-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLucas View Post
I think the key is knowing nurses or doctors who work there and providing them directly with a few to start out.
Exactly. This is not ?homemade PPE?. If they tell me to take it off, I?ll be glad to go home!

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!