Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdavid View Post
  • Should I put the GAD 29 on the Avionics bus, or the Main Bus? It is only needed for the Avionics (GNX 375 and GNC 255), but other examples placed it on the Main bus...
  • I have a breaker and a switch for the GAP 26 Pitot Heat. Any reason not to just use a Switch Breaker?

Thoughts and input appreciated...
Not Garmin related just by flight experience, is that TO/GO button the same thing as your GPS miss approach sequencer? I think it says that button and your Autopilot Disconnect button are both close together. During simulator training I remember we had a guy who in the heat of the training kept disconnecting the autopilot during a low IFR approach instead of cycling the GPS to do the miss approach sequence. Just a though in case your system works the same way.
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites for pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:56 PM

Default Thoughts on Panel Upgrade Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdavid View Post
Now that I know the big-ticket items, I am trying to figure out the best way to organize switches and breakers. This is what I have come up with. Apart from the general layout, some of the specific questions I still have are:
I think your G5 and G3X screens are mounted too far left. You should check the location of the platenut clips attached to the top fuselage skin and longeron for interference.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:14 AM

@Jim Frisbie: Thanks for the reminder about the CO Detector. I currently use the paper card type, but with your prompt I see that there are nice looking devices that integrate with the G3X. It seems like the GD-40 is liked by many. Do you have a favorite device?

Also, I am out of RS-232 ports on PFD-1. Am I able to hook it to an RS-232 input on a second GDU MFD and have the data available on the PFD?

@Pilot135pd: Great point. Perhaps the TOGA above the throttle under the MFD--easy to press when going full throttle for go around.

For the AP Disconnect somewhere else ... I would love it on the stick, but I do not want to get a different grip and don't know if mine could be easily modified. Where else do people like to put AP Disconnect buttons?

@terrye: Thanks for this. Have nudged things around based on pictures of similar panels but will double check next time I am at plane.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:25 AM

James,
I would suggest you don't have any switches below the displays, put them all above. They are too easy to kick and/or catch your clothing on as you climb in/out. Mount everything as high up as possible.
Pete
Old 01-14-2020, 03:09 PM

Default Switches

Don’t agree at all with the switch’s above. Bellow is normal and works fine.
I would suggest putting the flap switch,(paddle switch) AP servo power, and AP activation/deactivation switch above the throttle within index finger reach while hand on the throttle. Maybe a dummy light for the fuel pump. I also have a light for low oil p., and alternator out. Group the lights together if you use them.

Last edited by agirard7a : 01-14-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:24 PM

Thinking through what happens with this LRU block diagram:

In the event that any single LRU fails:

Not sure if this is 100% correct, but I hope to figure out the behavior on paper before finalizing this.

Posting for discussion.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Pete View Post
James,
I would suggest you don't have any switches below the displays, put them all above. They are too easy to kick and/or catch your clothing on as you climb in/out. Mount everything as high up as possible.
Pete
I gotta agree with Pete on this one. Whenever I have flown an RV with switches below the displays I have had heck accidentally knocking them on or off inadvertently. My RV-3B is kind of that way and even after a few years of flying it I have to be careful.

Jim
Old 03-26-2020, 03:53 PM

Default Thoughts on "Thoughts"...

G3X over dual G5s--easy call, at least in my opinion. A couple of other thoughts...

How will you mount your iPad? Dimensions change with some regularity. You might want to consider a RAM ball mount. That also makes it easy to remove, and peraps importantly it allows you to adjust the viewing angle as you prefer. If you were to do that, you might want to consider shifting the Navigator, etc... a bit further to the right, so that the view of them isn't blocked--but not so far as to make them challenging to reach.

Want still more redundancy? Add a $200 stratux box and battery. In the admittedly unlikely event that everything else somehow went dark, you'd still have (with split screen) a pseudo PFD + GPS navigation + display of terrain, a chart (and Wx), traffic, an approach plate, or any number of other pieces of information that may be important at the time. In my -10, I have one secured on the bar behind the rear seats. No reception problems through the fiberglass. The battery sits between the front seats, secured by velcro, so that if necessary it can be swapped out for a fresh one. A USB/micro-USB cable connects the two, via the tunnel. That's a tremendous amount of redundancy for fractions of an AMU.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:32 PM

I always want my displays as high as possible therefore the switches have to go on the bottom.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 03-26-2020, 05:40 PM

Here is a pretty complete G3X system Layout.. (wired and operational)

Could be a basic start for any RV..

I only had room for one GDU...

But its easy to wire in a second... For whats its worth

Full wiring details as well.. (Hate to waste the effort on just one RV)

May take me a few try to get the links right..

Al

Basic layout

Schematic

Link to ExpressSCH file of schematic (feel free to use.. Should be 99% correct :> )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mds...ew?usp=sharing

Link to free design / wiring software: (Classic Version)

https://www.expresspcb.com

Result: (Ya.. Kind of a proud builder here.. Lots of effort.. Lots of time... Just wish I could fly without getting those pesky..... FAA notices of violation... :>)

2016 182T N522CS
Home Airport B16.
EAA 486 @ KFZY...
2021 Dues Paid.

Build Log Link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XpkYCodwBCjAqeMb7

Last edited by laserman : 03-26-2020 at 06:26 PM.