Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2020, 07:22 PM

Default Did anyone do anything with their RV this weekend (3/21 - 3/22)

With the COVID-19 restrictions setting in, I am thinking that maybe there was more building in the garage being done than flying, but there's a lot of the country still unrestricted, so .. let's hear it!

And, an argument could be made that flying your RV alone or in formation with others is the best form of social distancing, couldn't it?? Hard to transmit anything to others when you're alone and aloft.

I digress .. I worked yesterday, San Diego to Tucson in the work plane. I then drove home (445 miles, but it was surprisingly painless, and a pretty quick six hours). This morning, I wanted to go topoff the RV in case it sits for a bit with tighter restrictions. So, flew to a neighboring airport to get it topped off, and then put it back in the hangar.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:31 PM

I've been demotivated recently on the -10 build. Too many things going on.

But I did get to the airport on Saturday to take the -6 up for a little while. The ceilings were pretty low, so my options were limited. At least I got the wheels off the ground!
2019(?) RV-10
Old 03-22-2020, 07:42 PM

I filled the tanks. Just waiting for the zombies to come over the horizon and we're GONE!
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 03-22-2020, 08:34 PM

We primered and dimpled the horizontal and vertical stabs. Got the horizontal front and rear spars riveted together. There's plenty of time for the build right now....I think the girlfriend updated the website so please check it out. Could always use some input.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:39 PM

Default My RV-8 flew again!

In mid January, I started condition inspection. First thing I did was pull the magneto and send it off to Champion-Slick for the SB1-15A treatment. They told me turn-around was 1--5 weeks just depending on how many come in during any period.

In the mean time, I replaced the O-rings in my brakes with Viton, and replaced the Mil-5606 with the Mil 83282 fluid.
I replaced both my throttle and mixture cables with custom McFarlane cables.
And, of course, I did the rest of the condition inspection.

Last week, my magneto finally made it home from South Carolina, and Saturday, 3/21, my airplane flew again for the first time in over two months.
Beautiful spring day to fly.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 700
also
1/4 share in 1959 C-182B (tow plane)
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 03-22-2020, 08:47 PM

Heck yes! I flew a recon mission on Saturday followed by a 7 hour hike on Sunday. I brought those monster antlers from 8,000 feet on foot. That was a challenge. Anyone has an idea on the best mountain hiking boots?

Today my good Russian buddy Ivan made a first flight of his RV9 dragon tail. Congrats man!

This is my gift to you and I will deliver it personally after it’s all over.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:04 PM

Default Stirred the oil

With a quick little IFR flight to KPOC and back. 2 approaches and a bit of actual!

-Marc
Old 03-22-2020, 09:04 PM

Default Gas run

Since everything is closed, no hamburgers. Ran down to 4V1 as they have the cheapest gas nearby. Got to where I could hear the AWOS, and it says the pump is down. Rats! So I came back to KFLY, filled up there. All in all pretty quiet in the Frontrange down by Colorado Springs today.

cheers

Geoff
Old 03-22-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Heck yes! I flew a recon mission on Saturday followed by a 7 hour hike on Sunday. I brought those monster antlers from 8,000 feet on foot. That was a challenge. Anyone has an idea on the best mountain hiking boots?

Today my good Russian buddy Ivan made a first flight of his RV9 dragon tail. Congrats man!

This is my gift to you and I will deliver it personally after it’s all over.

Wow Vlad, that looks like a matched set. I find a couple every year in my pasture (black-tail deer, not elk). A bit of a statistical anomaly from small sample size, of the six that I have found, four are left side.

Is Ivan going to paint his, or leave it naked like yours? Looks like he might be thinking about red, some time in the future?
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 700
also
1/4 share in 1959 C-182B (tow plane)
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 03-22-2020, 09:23 PM

Social spacing being hard to do in a 7, took a solo flight from Sparta MI to Muskegon, turned south and dropped to 500’ along the Lake Michigan shore taking photos of the cottages falling Into the lake due to high water levels. Turned inland at Holland and flew over Park Township airport on my way back home. Park Township airport, a historic field from the 30’s, was just voted out of existence during the last election. Very sad and wanted to visit one more time but will land there later this summer. ATC at both Muskegon and Jerald R Ford international were mostly working GA. They were very friendly and very glad to be talking to me! Fun flight!

Unfortunately in science, what you believe is irrelevant.

2021 donation made, exempt but worth every dime!