Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 06:07 PM

Default RV-8 Windscreen Fairing

I just have to add my two cents. I am nearing completion of my RV8 and have been involved in ownership of several aircraft over the years. I have replaced the windscreen at least once in every one of them (4 total). I don't seen any down side to making it easier to remove and replace. I plan on making mine removable.
VAF Dues Paid for 2021
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the tips on posting pictures. Hope this works. Here are pictures of my 8 windscreen fairing & canopy.

Windscreen SikaFlexed & riveted to fuselage

Windscreen & Canopy

Canopy Latch/Lock

Joggle in canopy to slide under windscreen fairing
2021 Donation In
Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 PM

Very nicely done!! Those are some tight seems. I wonder if the thickness of primer/paint will cause any issues.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 02-27-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
I'm a daily follower of VAF and have learned a lot. This is my first crack at a post.

I made the windscreen fairing on my 8 removeable during construction and always intended to blind rivet & Sika it around the leading edge & Sika it over the roll bar. Also considering proseal or G/Flex in place of Sika dependant on a pull test I have yet to do.

Now that it is done and ready to attach I wonder if it would work to screw it to the fuselage using nutplates and attach it to the roll bar with the same screws ( longer) that attach the plexi - with caulk in between to make it water tight. This would make the windscreen relatively easy to remove.

A VAF search turned up a good thread on metal fairings and one FG fairing built as a separate part but did not show the final result.

Has anyone else done this? Is it safe? Does it look OK? - CS fasteners would show - pictures would be great. At this stage it is just as easy to screw it as glue it. Is it worthwhile having the windscreen removeable?
When I was purchasing my 8, I looked at two nice airplanes where the front windscreen was replaced, and the job of blending and matching the paint was less than optimal. Both owners/builders commented about the time and aggravation it took. The -8 I’m building will have a removable wind screen fairing.

Dennis, yours looks beautiful. I would love to see some photos of it completed with fasteners.

Below is a picture of Dane Sheahen’s. Dane sadly perished in a crash that is discussed elsewhere on VAF, but he did a beautiful job on the screen fairing.

Would love to hear from others that took this path with any “how to’s” or tips.

RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction

Last edited by Northernliving : 02-27-2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:20 PM

Brian,

My windscreen fairing is pop riveted and sikaflexed to the fuselage. The pop rivets are countersunk and filled so they don't show at the surface. If I ever have to remove it I'd have to locate and drill out the pop rivets and pry it from the sikaflex.

Here are some pictures of the finished product.

Tinted the epoxy black for inside view.

Finished left side view
[IMG][/IMG]

Built up a "joggle" on the canopy skirt with the joggle going under the windscreen when closed
[IMG][/IMG]
2021 Donation In

Last edited by Champ : 03-02-2020 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-02-2020, 05:52 PM

Default Windshield trim

I Sikaflexed my windshield and plan to Sika the trim. If the windshield ever needs replacement, both will be removable by pulling a guitar string along the bond line. Most likely the new windshield will require a new trim.
I also fabricated the trim so the canopy skirt would slide under a joggle.
Photos on my blog.
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:59 PM

Mine is removable in case it gets scratched or cracks or for any reason it needs to be replaced. It's a lot easier to remove than cutting fiberglass.

Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites for pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.