Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2020, 10:05 AM
unfluencer

Default What did you do with your RV this weekend? (1/4-5/2020)

Getting it rolling....

v/r,dr
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:16 AM

Default Little Siberia

I was exploring new to me vicinities. Looking for a good ice in Wyoming

Planning to meet Greg Arehart today in Colorado. If freezing fog dissipates...

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:00 PM

Default I modified my air intake

Ok, so it's not earth shattering, or even sexy in any way, but I've been slowly modifying my intake to get the best performance, which I measure by air intake temperature and by manifold pressure.

What I did this weekend was put a scoop (cut and folded 0.032" scrap I had on hand) over my intake. No, it's not as aerodynamic as it could be or even aesthetically pleasing, but gets the job done. The idea was to validate for myself the difference between a NACA duct and scoop. I can tell you the scoop makes a huge difference.

I've gone from the original factory "Two inch filter mounted on the intake" to one taking air in over the cylinders, to a 2" NACA duct, and then a 3" NACA duct, to my current, and likely final design, which is the scoop over the NACA duct. The end result is about 0.8" of ram pressure at 120KTAS.

Performance has been wonderful too.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.

Last edited by rongawer : 01-05-2020 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Testing Hallie.com photo
Old 01-05-2020, 12:10 PM

Still chipping away at the cowling and baffles. Started trimming baffles; getting closer... but I just don't see how RV-8 builders manage to get their oil cooler to fit in the stock position. If any -8 builders want to share photos of their finished baffles on the left side by the oil cooler, or if there are any -8 builders within 100 miles of Clarkston, MI that would be willing to allow me to inspect their cowlings and baffles, I'd be very grateful. (Hopefully Terry Lutz is reading this; then we'd finally get a chance to meet up! )
RV-8 #83507 - registered; final assembly continues; engine remounted.
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2022... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 01-05-2020, 03:44 PM

Took advantage of some warm(ish) weather and flew out over the Apostle Islands

tim CP ASEL & S

2006 RV-8A N6677F

1943 Boeing Stearman N19BB
Old 01-05-2020, 07:31 PM

Nice evening in Alabama, so I got in some formation practice. Quick over the shoulder shot from Stan Tew, passenger in Kirk Harrell's Mustang II:

Old 01-05-2020, 11:57 PM

Met up with a fellow VAF'er and sold him my iFly 740b. Gawked at his RV-10 (I wouldn't mind one), and then met up with my wife to take her in our -9A. Flew her down the San Diego Bay, and then back the other way, and stopped at Montgomery Field (MYF) for lunch, and then back home and into the hangar...

Gave a BFR to a non-RV'er in his Piper Warrior later in the day. It's so ... uninspiring. Do I dare give him an RV ride and see how long that it takes to convert him?!
Old 01-06-2020, 12:50 AM

I noticed the brake pads getting a little thin during the condition inspection (450 hours), 2nd flight after the condition inspection my main alternator voltage was venturing above 15 volts. She needed a little more love.
I do not like to rush my aircraft maintenance, it's about balancing research during lunch breaks at work and ordering parts to coincide with free time to put things together at the airport. I ordered new pads, brake rivet tool and regulator. Thanks to Allen at Hartzell Engine Technologies for listening and answering my questions about my PP Alt.

Smushed gasket vs new.

Old regulator/brushes vs new.

I broke the wiring connector to the Alt when removing it, re-potted the wires with RTV. My original connector was potted with RTV before first flight and did not show fretting after 450 hours.

Old Pads removed.

New Pads installed.

Test flight a day later showed a happy alternator (and happy pilot) at 14ish volts and some STINKY brake pads from the recommended break in procedure.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatflieg View Post
Still chipping away at the cowling and baffles. Started trimming baffles; getting closer... but I just don't see how RV-8 builders manage to get their oil cooler to fit in the stock position. If any -8 builders want to share photos of their finished baffles on the left side by the oil cooler, or if there are any -8 builders within 100 miles of Clarkston, MI that would be willing to allow me to inspect their cowlings and baffles, I'd be very grateful. (Hopefully Terry Lutz is reading this; then we'd finally get a chance to meet up! )
Martin, here's how I did mine:

I used 1" U channel on either side of the oil cooler and shifted it down a little to get clearance from the cowl. The extra spacing from the #4 cylinder and the U channel added to the angle I added to the front of the baffle corner makes it very strong. Oil stays cool too (sometimes too cool)
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com

Last edited by Mark Dickens : 01-06-2020 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Nice evening in Alabama, so I got in some formation practice. Quick over the shoulder shot from Stan Tew, passenger in Kirk Harrell's Mustang II:

Dan, what color is your RV? Is that a silver kinda color?
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt