Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Autopilots
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2019, 10:56 AM

I've been thinking about doing the same thing with Dynon knob and button panels, albeit in a slider. My main concern is over how far they'd stick out, and how much of the view would be blocked. Glad I'm not the only one thinking along these lines...
Old 12-13-2019, 02:40 PM

It looks like a great idea. I am sure with all the talent on this site, a solution that looks good and works well will present itself to you.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:40 PM

As somebody who has his a/p controller mounted elsewhere, I have to say that glare shield mounting remains my preferred location, by a wide margin. I would prioritize this location above all others, even if it means relocating some of the existing switches.

Yes, having a tip-up canopy complicates matters somewhat. That's why I would try to install the 507 in the very top of the panel itself, thus gaining both sunlight shading as well as mounting robustness. Being able to rest fingers atop the glare shield while using a thumb and other fingers to fiddle with the 507 would be another consideration in favor of mounting it right up at the top of the panel.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:46 PM

Default Great idea, IMHO

Doug,

In 34 years of commercial flying, almost every part 121 plane I've flown had the autopilot controls just below (or built into) the glare shield. Most likely in order to accommodate either pilot, but it seems to be the 'norm' and it's very convenient. It also lends itself to a 'heads-up' situation rather than 'heads-down' while selecting or changing a mode.
Boeing calls it an 'MCP' ...Mode Control Panel (at least on the 737)... as we use the automation modes to control the aircraft the majority of the time.
That said, my current panel design has the autopilot controller mounted centrally in the glare shield, just as you indicated. Not that my opinion is worth two cents, but I've got an hour or two in jets and I think its a great idea. I'd love to see the finished product!

Best,

Marty
Two partially built RV's, sold due to the ex-wife not liking them....so I got a better wife.
Exempt twice, so I paid double. Worth every penny, and then some.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:43 PM

Default save your money!

The Garmin Auto Pilot head without the scroll knobs for altitude and heading are less expensive. Get used to using the PFD heading and altitude already easily managed on the screen, also get used to using the PFD for every entry that is available to you. Therefore, the only external item you need to concentrate on is the Flight Mode Annunciator. Think of it as going to the store and buying a loaf if bread. When you walk out of the store, look in the bag and see if you in fact have a loaf of bread in the bag! Soooo, it is far easier to enter what you want on the EFIS, and on then monitor the FMD , one less thing to mess with and cause issues! In 34,000 hours, this system has never let me down!

Regards,

Capt. Gary Brown - Continental Airlines - Retired
DAR - NW Mountain region
Old 12-15-2019, 01:09 PM

Don't know if this is of any help with your decision making but I did exactly that with my Dynon boxes when I upgraded the panel. The location works very well from an ergonomics POV and doesn't impede on visibility in any way, regardless of flight conditions. Including aeros.

Monica
G-OGRL

RV6 G-RVCL - Sold
RV7 G-OGRL - Sold (BIG mistake)
RV14 G-OGAL - Flying as of June 2021

Last edited by Mona44 : 12-15-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:32 PM
unfluencer

Default Update: 12/16/19

Tony Kirk, Van's Aircraft proto shop guy, sent me a few screen grabs of a 3D printable housing for a GMC507 that he mocked up over the weekend from home (non-Van's time). A work in progress, and a few back and forths via email, and I'll keep you in the loop. If I can make it work in my plane and there aren't any hiccups, Tony would like to share the model with the community. There are many business that will do the 3D printing for you if you hand them a file. I'll keep you in the loop. Very exciting.

• Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:50 PM

Looks very promising. Keep us updated. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:07 AM

That is going to look fantastic in with your panel. It will be pro for sure I know we have a few 3D printing guys/gals here . . . I wonder how much something like that will cost to make?
RV-10 - Sold

Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 12-17-2019, 05:02 PM
unfluencer

Default 12/17/19 2254Z update

Tony Kirk sent me an updated SolidWorks model last night (Van's employee working on this after hours at home). This thing is getting pretty close to drop dead awesome. I'll let you know when I have a GMC507 in hand with a 3D printed prototype mount. Expect pics.

• Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.