Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2019, 08:56 PM

Default Oxygen System (Roll your own) RV-10

Ok, who's put in a system (preferably in a 10) without spending $6-$7000? I mean, what the heck?? I'm thinking about mounting the bottle in the baggage area and just reaching back to turn it on. Will have 4 people on it intermittently and 2 on it a lot. Maybe thinking about just extending the tubes through the overhead or something? There's just no way I'm spending $7K.
I can do a portable system for $800 ish.
My brain shows a remarkable capacity to not willingly accept information that it considered useless.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:00 PM

I have not added it to my RV7, but I have used a bottle with an Aero Nasal cannula that helped to extend the bottle. Also used an Inogen with a splitter up to 16K ft at 5lpm. Im not sure you could go much higher with a portable (they are only rated to 12K).
Old 11-11-2019, 09:12 PM

I've always used a portable system -- much, much cheaper and easier to recharge... especially since not all airports have oxygen.
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...
Old 11-11-2019, 09:44 PM

I mounted an E size bottle in the baggage area (laterally just behind the rear seats and removable) (cost $30 on craiglslit) (medical style fitting for availability of refilling - requires rx though). I wanted this as far forward for W&B. It is connected to a pediatric regulator ($10 on ebay). I put a 2500 PSI sensor on the regulator in place of the gauge and wired it to the G3X ($12 on ebay). I routed a 1/8" ID tygon hose from the regulator to the front tunnel (plan a center console/arm rest where it will terminate), where it branches into 4 sealed receptacles for users to plug in their canulas. (these are sealed closed until the users plug is put in) About $30 in parts. I got four, individual flow regulators on ebay for about $15 so adjustments don't have to be made back at the bottle mounted regulator. These are mounted in each users feed line before the canula.

Only limitation is that you have to open the valve on the bottle before takeoff, unless there is a back seat passenger to reach around and do it in flight. Solenoid controlled regulators were prohibitively expensive for me.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 11-11-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Alvord View Post
I have not added it to my RV7, but I have used a bottle with an Aero Nasal cannula that helped to extend the bottle. Also used an Inogen with a splitter up to 16K ft at 5lpm. Im not sure you could go much higher with a portable (they are only rated to 12K).
Jonathan - would you be able to elaborate, please, on your experience with the Inogen? Which model? Which splitter did you use? How reliable has the unit been?

I ask because my wife has a compromised respiratory system. I've been looking at installing O2 bottles but the concept of having on-board generation capability just seems like a far less limiting method.

I'd appreciate any info you can share, especially lessons learned and "gotchas".

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2019, 10:24 AM

Does anyone know if Portable Oxygen Concentrators like the Inogen are legal for supplemental oxygen for PIC.
I see FAA regulations regarding passengers flying in aircraft commercially. Can?t find anything on meeting requirements for pilots flying general aviation.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:31 AM

Default Roll-Your-Own 4-place Oxygen System

I've built both a 4-place portable system and now a built-in system in my -10, both roll-your-own style. The portable uses a Jumbo D cylinder, 4-place regulator, 4 flow meters and 4 oxysaver cannulas. The system worked fine for cross country trips with 2 adults and 2 kids, but was a bit bulky with all 4 of the lines in use. It's for sale if anyone is interested...

The cylinder is clamped to the floor between the rear seats, the 4 flow meters mounted together on the overhead with a gopro mount so they're easily deployed and removed.
Slow build kit #40874
Homebuilt Kit Champion Oshkosh 2019
Atlantic crossings: 2

Last edited by Paddy : 11-12-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Jonathan - would you be able to elaborate, please, on your experience with the Inogen? Which model? Which splitter did you use? How reliable has the unit been?

I ask because my wife has a compromised respiratory system. I've been looking at installing O2 bottles but the concept of having on-board generation capability just seems like a far less limiting method.

I'd appreciate any info you can share, especially lessons learned and "gotchas".

Thanks!
I believe the one we used was an Inogen G3 Portable with Pulse Oxygen. It was designed as a Single user system, and we simply attached a Y connector and attached two oxysaver cannula's from Aerox. The system worked great while we were flying from Washington to Detroit this summer at 16.5k (favorable winds gave us GS 220+). We did have a pulse oximeter and were checking regularly. I believe we had it maxed out at 5lpm and our target was to simply keep OT sat above 92%. It had plenty of battery charge to get us there but we also had the 12V power adapter. I was lucky and work in the Health care industry and the local Medical Equipment supplier let me "Borrow" it for the week.
When I first bough the plane I lived in AZ and the airport FBO would easily fill my canister, however after a trip to New England and being unable to get canisters filled anywhere (rental canisters that had to be returned not just exchanged) I will probably invest in an Inogen in the future.if I have going to cross over the West a lot. otherwise I don't think I would carry the weight.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
I mounted an E size bottle in the baggage area (laterally just behind the rear seats and removable) (cost $30 on craiglslit) (medical style fitting for availability of refilling - requires rx though). I wanted this as far forward for W&B. It is connected to a pediatric regulator ($10 on ebay). I put a 2500 PSI sensor on the regulator in place of the gauge and wired it to the G3X ($12 on ebay). I routed a 1/8" ID tygon hose from the regulator to the front tunnel (plan a center console/arm rest where it will terminate), where it branches into 4 sealed receptacles for users to plug in their canulas. (these are sealed closed until the users plug is put in) About $30 in parts. I got four, individual flow regulators on ebay for about $15 so adjustments don't have to be made back at the bottle mounted regulator. These are mounted in each users feed line before the canula.

Only limitation is that you have to open the valve on the bottle before takeoff, unless there is a back seat passenger to reach around and do it in flight. Solenoid controlled regulators were prohibitively expensive for me.

Larry
That's good stuff. I'm going to use a CGA 540 so I can fill it myself.
My brain shows a remarkable capacity to not willingly accept information that it considered useless.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:18 PM

Yes, I built my own. It is in a 6, not a 10; but the principal and cost should be the same (maybe $200). I bought a Jumbo D new on e-bay for about $80, and a medical regulator for about $50. I piped it to each position where I installed stainless steal quick connect fittings that seal off the line when disconnected. The positions not is use do not use any O2. You use the regulator flow setting to adjust flow for 1,2,3 or 4 people. You could use individual flow meters, but they are ugly, bulky, clunky, and un-necessary.
Give everyone a plus-ox finger meter and adjust the overall flow accordingly.
I?ll post a parts list when I get back to the States tomorrow.
1978 PA38-112