Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2019, 09:07 AM
unfluencer

Default What did you do with your RV this weekend (10/12-13/2019)?

...getting it started.
v/r,dr
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Spent the weekend at Petit Jean! Flew formation, popped balloons with my prop, ate great food, had a blast!

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F NW Regional/Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper
Catch her on YouTube's "Because I Fly!" channel

Exemption waived.
Proud and grateful 2021 -=VAF=- Contributor

PS: I am not an influencer. I have no influence. Just ask my kids.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:45 AM

Jennifer spent the week working at Dynon in Seattle and had a reservation to fly home on the 6:30 Alaska Airlines flight. The plan was for me to pick her up at the Portland airport at 7:30 and then make the 3 1/2 hour drive to Sunriver in Bend OR for the weekend. I was dreading the Friday afternoon traffic in Portland when it dawned on me, I can actually fly to Seattle in the RV-10 faster than I can drive to the Portland Airport. We could then fly from Seattle direct to Sunriver and avoid the 3 1/2 hour drive and late night arrival.

I installed some new beta software in the EFIS screens that we needed to test and packed the RV-10 for the weekend. It was one of those spectacular fall afternoons in the northwest when Truman and I took off headed for Seattle to pick Jennifer up.

It took us only an hour to fly from our home airfield OR40 to KPAE in Seattle. After landing at Paine field we traded a computer and Cessna 182 panel that needed to go to Dynon for Jennifer and headed for Sunriver.

Truman is concerned because something seems different in the RV-10 panel for this trip on his CoPilot side.

The sun starting to set on Mt Rainier as we flew by.

The moon rising over Mt Adams

It is starting to get dark as we pass east of Mt hood

Even on a clear night I let the Autopilot fly the RNAV 18 approach into Sunriver in total darkness. As we passed the lights of Bend and headed south to Sunriver it was really nice to have the Synthetic Vision showing all the mountains and airport runway.

We arrived in Sunriver around 7:15pm, about 4 hours earlier than our original plan.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Last edited by N402RH : 10-13-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N402RH View Post
Jennifer spent the week working at Dynon in Seattle and had a reservation to fly home on the 6:30 Alaska Airlines flight. The plan was for me to pick her up at the Portland airport at 7:30 and then make the 3 1/2 hour drive to Sunriver in Bend OR for the weekend. I was dreading the Friday afternoon traffic in Portland when it dawned on me, I can actually fly to Seattle in the RV-10 faster than I can drive to the Portland Airport. We could then fly from Seattle direct to Sunriver and avoid the 3 1/2 hour drive and late night arrival.

I installed some new beta software in the EFIS screens that we needed to test and packed the RV-10 for the weekend. It was one of those spectacular fall afternoons in the northwest when Truman and I took off headed for Seattle to pick Jennifer up.

It took us only an hour to fly from our home airfield OR40 to KPAE in Seattle. After landing at Paine field we traded a computer and Cessna 182 panel that needed to go to Dynon for Jennifer and headed for Sunriver.

Truman is concerned because something seems different in the RV-10 panel for this trip on his CoPilot side.

The sun starting to set on Mt Rainier as we flew by.

The moon rising over Mt Adams

It is starting to get dark as we pass east of Mt hood

Even on a clear night I let the Autopilot fly the RNAV 18 approach into Sunriver in total darkness. As we passed the lights of Bend and headed south to Sunriver it was really nice to have the Synthetic Vision showing all the mountains and airport runway.

We arrived in Sunriver around 7:15pm, about 4 hours earlier than our original plan.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Incredible photos, Rob! Thanks for sharing.
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 10-13-2019, 01:48 PM

Took advantage of beautiful conditions on Friday and went up and got my night currency back. Don't have much night time in my plane and nothing since January. What a great time to fly. I'm going to have to fix up my panel lighting, the dimable led strip I have is useless, it flickers widely and the only thing it lights up well is the photocell on my Dynon HDX which makes the dimming change on that.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 10-13-2019, 05:13 PM

Did my very first trip to Petit Jean.

Friday I waited for the wind and ceilings to go away and then hopped up to KSWI for cheap gas.

KSWI-KMPJ was awesome!!! Made 260mph GS on the way with the awesome winds! Arrival in to MPJ was late, the airport was deserted! Not a soul in site when I arrived (they were all at the reception..) But it seemed like a disaster type movie... fires still going... stuff left behind.. not a person to be seen. Kind of cool.

Saturday I woke up early from the campsite and hopped over for some gas then joined scroll flight for a 4 ship (my FIRST ONE) back to MPJ.. which was awesome... if anyone has any pictures of us coming in to the break, PLEASE share them with me.... I got 2 streamers during the balloon pop, I vow to kill those little buggers next year!

Sunday, a solemn flight back to 52F by way of SWI... somewhere between MPJ and SWI I decided I needed to do some aileron rolls. So I did about... 5.

Was an INCREDIBLE time and exactly the reason I bought my RV-4. My only regret was not getting to really know anyone. Next time I will be going up on Thursday to give me more time to check out planes and meet folks!
G550 Based at VHHH
... or LGB.. or ZHHH... or wherever they tell me to put the thing.
Proudly paid the donation!
USN OEF/OIF Vet
Old 10-14-2019, 09:25 AM

I installed new brake linings because I discovered one was wearing unevenly. I think the slider pins were hanging up on that side. Didn?t want to replace one without doing all of them. At $35 for an entire set, it wasn?t worth saving $22.50 to have the overall wear out of sync with the rest of them.

Also installed a new Flyboy?s pneumatic tailwheel. Haven?t had a chance to fly it, but it sure looks pretty.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:39 AM

I had to work this weekend.

So, I flew to work in my RV-8.
1 hour and 5 minutes of bliss and I watched the cars crawling along the road en route
I'll fly home from work in a couple days.

Like a lot of people say, an RV is a time machine.

Last edited by Eddie P : 10-14-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:40 PM

Default Chile Flight

https://youtu.be/9VbM89yLkGA?t=4106
https://youtu.be/5NmzCNhSIHo?t=3779

Albuquerque's Chile Flight had a busy International Balloon Fiesta week, flying both Saturday opening ceremonies. During the week, FFI evaluations and check rides were administered to some of the members by Craig "2B" Wilcox (RV8) and Phillip "Ripper" Lamb (RV4)of KC Flight, both of whom joined us for the 12 Oct AIBF flyover. Chile members taking part in both Saturdays were "Vyking" Nystrom (RV3), "Zap" Rehburg (4); "Goat" Olsen (4), "Longbow" Jones (3), "Boo" Booher (8A), "Spanky" Farley (8), "Stogie" Otero (7) and "Goliath" Taylor (8).

Jon Farley
N518RT
KAEG
Old 10-15-2019, 06:40 AM

I got some painting done.... horizontal stabilizer is finished. I'll include the meme I made for facebook, in case you haven't seen it.

BTW Rob Hickman, that photo of the moon setting over Mt. Hood is nothing less than sensational. They were all beautiful... but the moon one is just incredible.
RV-8 #83507 - registered; final assembly continues; engine remounted.
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2022... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?

Last edited by goatflieg : 10-15-2019 at 07:48 AM.