Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2019, 09:34 PM

Smile Alaska

I will file the final report which will include logistics, cost. Judie is working on the spread sheet for fuel, hotels, food, entertainment, rent cars and all the other expenses. We had a wonderful trip and would encourage anyone to do it. Some of it is potluck, we had weather delays, but now it?s fire season and smoke to contend with.
RV6A owner N6711
L19 sold
ATP/FE/CFI 10 Type Ratings.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:32 AM

Thumbs up Alaska, the rest of the story and cost.

After two nights in Grande Prairie at Judies favorite FBO, Happy Gas, we had a window to depart at 2 PM. Grande Praire was good VFR but a lot of showers around Calgary. We couldn?t get past the rain and had to return to Edson, 50 extra miles, refuel and try again. The weather lifted west of Calgary and we made it to Lethbridge. We got one of the last motel rooms because of a soccer tournament. The motel owner said, ?don?t expect much and you won?t be disappointed?. He was right but it was a bed not a hangar floor.

Early departure the next morning for Cutbank, Mt., good old USA. Customs had been very easy and accomadating. I filed an e-APIS three days before and never had to file again because of weather delays. I did call every day. 1.5 hrs. to clear customs because they were training someone. We helped a couple that were ferrying a C-172 to Alaska and told them the weather was good enough to get to Lethbridge, 700 overcast and 10 miles. Departed Cutbank with hopes of Billings, Mt. or Buffalo, Wy. didn?t happen, snow and 2 miles visibility on June 7. We did make it to Miles City, Mt. for fuel and off again, couldn?t go direct anywhere low ceilings with rain. I had a FBO in Wyoming for 10 years and knew the country well so we headed for Crazy Woman VOR, my favorite place. We made it around Pumpkin Buttes and headed for Torrington, Wy. good fuel stop and a dog named Fred, who I?ve know for 10 years. Holiday Inn has a shuttle and it?s next to a truck stop with a restaurant and a bar. Left Trrington early Sunday stopped in Denver to visit a sick friend over night. Front Range is the place in Denver, $5.00 overnight and rent car right away and I never talked to approach.

Left early Monday to get home. Stopped in Borger, Tx. for fuel and lunch. Free crew car and a great hamburger. Taxi out and start runup and Judie says smoke in the cockpit, she was right there was smoke in the cockpit. Taxi back, take the cowling off, 90 degrees outside, can?t see anything. I do a test flight and can?t replicate the problem, so I land pickup Judie and we are on our last 2 hour leg home to Fredericksburg, Tx. I make a great landing, but the airplane won?t roll, flat tire on right main. I see a friends hangar open and call him, they bring a dolly and tow bar and 15 minutes later we are in the hangar. No damage and the smoke probably came from me checking the oil and dribbling a little oil on the exhaust stack.

The bottom line how much did it cost? We stayed with friends in Anchorage, no hotel cost, however we ate out a lot so the food cost were higher. We didn't camp at all. The hotel at Kennicott was expense, $300.00 a night, but worth it for two nights. Here is the breakdown, Judie kept very good receipts and records. All numbers have been calculated for good ole American dollars.

Fuel $1,762,00
Oil 8.00
Fees Nav Canada 17.64
Hangar and tie downs 267.00
Lodging 1,276.00
Rent cars and taxi 749.00
Food 1,773.00

Grand total $5,852.64

We didn't include our survival vest or contents, they can be reused. Would we do it again, absolutely !
RV6A owner N6711
L19 sold
Old 07-14-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdog View Post

....Here is the breakdown, Judie kept very good receipts and records. All numbers have been calculated for good ole American dollars.

Fuel $1,762,00
Oil 8.00
Fees Nav Canada 17.64
Hangar and tie downs 267.00
Lodging 1,276.00
Rent cars and taxi 749.00
Food 1,773.00

Grand total $5,852.64

We didn't include our survival vest or contents, they can be reused. Would we do it again, absolutely !

Interesting statistics thanks for breakdown Fred. First time I see the cost of food exceeds the price of mega trip fuel. How many flying hours was total?

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:30 PM

Smile Food and fuel

Vlad,
We did include booze! The important thing was lodging we stayed with friends in Anchorage for several nights for free and thought it was fair to buy their food, so we ate breakfast and dinner out a lot and we didn?t go cheap. They were very nice host and also gave us a free hangar.

Fuel, we flew 44 hours round trip. If you average 9 gallons an hour for 44 hours, that?s 396 gallons at $4.50 a gallon average, that?s $1,782.00. Fuel in the US was usually under four dollars and closer to 5 bucks in Canada. I did fly up at 8,500 to 10,500, lean of peak, about 8.2 GPH. On return I have no idea, a lot at 3 or 400 ft. indicating 120 knots, some at 12,500, minus 8 degrees. Most of the way going up and back I had a tail wind and I didn?t stray from the Alcan. I did deviate some in Montana and Wyoming, which added miles, but the tailwind helped.
RV6A owner N6711
L19 sold
Old 07-15-2019, 12:19 AM

I knew I saw an RV taking off from Miles City!!! Co-worker said I was crazy. Next time if you need a place to stay let me know id be happy to accommodate!