- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:54 AM

Default welcome

Have been watching your progress. What a great experience. I live in Eastern, CO and you are welcome here if you happen to be close. 2V5, Wray, CO
Old 07-05-2019, 10:55 AM

Default Place to

A Place to stay
Hermann will be in Denver tonight (July 5th). I have Hangar space for him at Rocky Mountain Metro Airport (BJC) and a car he can use but not a place for him to stay. Anybody have a bed where he can lay his head close to BJC?

Renegade Opposing Solo pilot and other Dirty Odd Jobs

http://www.rmrairshows.com/

2021 dues paid

Last edited by bobmarkert : 07-05-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:42 AM

Flew into AJO to go to ACS last week. The lady told me a shiny small plane flew in from Germany while I was in the shuttle!!
Old 07-05-2019, 11:26 PM

That was me.
Had breakfast there and went shopping at Aircraft Spruce.
I always find things to buy which I don?t need!

RV-8 flying, IO-375, P-Mags, 74RV Prop
Old 07-06-2019, 08:23 PM

It is a while now that I didn´t update on my trip.
So on July 2nd I flew to Corona to shop at Aircraft Spruce, I have been there many times but never with my own plane. Then I went on to Boulder City where I passed these mirror fields. Can anyone explain what is going on there?? At Boulder I had a hangar, Bruce from Seattle arranged this. I was greeted and guided to the hangar. It is so exciting to meet friendly and helpful people everywhere, this makes my trip even more of a pleasure.
The next day I prepared the plane when it was still dark and departed at sunrise. Hoover dam is only minutes away and I was wondering how much traffic there is so early. Next was the Grand Canyon only a short distance from Boulder. I flew into the SFRA avoiding the no fly zones and passed three of the published corridors. This itself and the view out of “my” plane will be unforgettable. Not enough, I flew on northeast-bound to Monument Valley and arrived there still early in the morning when the sun was not that high above the horizon. And man, the view with the low sun behind is spectacular, the colors and contrast in the early morning are so strong, simply breathtaking. I landed at Gouldings UT25 for a short break, then headed back once more over the Grand Canyon to my “Home Base” at Boulder with a short stop at Grand Canyon International KGCN and Grand Canyon West 1G4 – what a day!!
Next morning I was invited by the local pilots to fly with them over the Parade at Boulder City for the Independence day, what a guesture and what a great feeling to be invited for this event. Of course I flew behind the real formation because I don´t have formal formation training and we never before flew together. The lead pilot got it right and I learned a lot from his briefing and debriefing.
This is a long post - not finished, so first a few pics:

Hoover Dam

Takoff for the Parade Flyover

Last edited by SuperCubDriver : 07-06-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:40 PM

On July 5th I left Boulder and headed for Sedona, heard good stories and I have to say the area around Sedona is just another spectacular place. So, I landed, had breakfast and went out to the apron looking at another RV parked on the ramp. A pilot walked over, said hello I?m David and I said I?m Hermann ? his reply was ?I know? ? that was cool, so obviously he is reading on VAF. He has a RV-6 and a beautifully restored 1932 Monocoupe. He made the pic during my runup at the Sedona airport.
I also wanted to fly to the highest airport Leadville but the runway is closed presently so I flew to Telluride KTEX with an elevation figure of 9070 ft and density altitude of 11500 ft on that day, not too bad and good enough for my own record. Seems like I have to come back but not before checking the Leadville notams prior leaving Europe!
On this flight I also past the huge meteor crater on the way to Telluride.
Then I gave Bob at Rocky Mountain airport my ETA and took off to fly the last leg of the day over the Rocky Mountains at 15500 ft (DA 17500 ft), first time on my tour with oxygen. There was a rain shower on my way just where the mountains descended towards Denver but easily to circumfly. Bob was waiting and had his hangar prepared for another RV-8 beside his one. I few years ago he was kind enough to show me some details of his RV-8 under construction and I copied his cockpit side panels. He also arranged my first flight in the back of an RV-8 in one of his Renegade Airshow team members. I will see him fly in Oshkosh in two weeks. This morning we had breakfast together before I left and flew to Majors KGVT near Dallas. There were buildups just north of Dallas but I was early enough to fly around them. Now I have to figure out were to fly tomorrow!?

Runup at Sedona

Final Rwy 09 Telluride

Bob in front of our two RV-8s

Old 07-06-2019, 08:56 PM

Default The mirror thing

They are power generating plants.

That plant that you passed over is a $2.2 billion complex of three generating units, owned by NRG Energy Inc., Google Inc. and BrightSource Energy, and can produce nearly 400 megawatts — enough power for 140,000 homes.

Using technology known as solar-thermal, nearly 350,000 computer-controlled mirrors roughly the size of a garage door reflect sunlight to boilers atop 459-foot towers in the center. The sun’s power is used to heat water in the boilers’ tubes and that makes steam, which drives turbines to create electricity.

The heat is so high, that when birds fly through the sun ray beams, it will vaporize the birds. I have been hearing the environmentalist have been complaining about the deaths of the birds and they want these plants shutdown.

Brian

Last edited by Pdtofly : 07-06-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the explanation.
I once saw this in Lhasa, same principle with only one mirror and no steam and turbines, just hot water.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:09 AM

Is the little kite drawing on the left canopy for aerobatic orientation?
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 07-08-2019, 01:03 PM

Good catch - and yes it is.