Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2019, 09:00 AM

Thumbs up Alaska the perfect trip

We had the perfect trip from Lethbridge to Anchorage up the Alcan Highway. At least a 5 kt. tailwind and sometimes 25, the lowest ceiling was 6500 and that was on the prairie. Not much turbulence over the mountains and we flew mostly st 8,500 ft. The airplane ran great, added one qt. of oil from Texas to Anchorage. Three days from Sheridan, Wyoming and one day from Fredericksbug for a total of four flying days, two of which were over 6 hours. We never saw or heard any other airplanes except local trainers or airliners until we got to Whitehorse and there was a C-185 and a C-206 headed to Anchorage, we left them in the dust!
It was nice to have my wife, Judie, to fly some of the legs.

What i learned, it?s an easy trip if you plan and check ahead. You can depart from any airport in the USA, but eAPIS won?t take just any airport, so just put in the nearest approved departure airport from their list. Check the airports your landing at ahead, the day before. Ft. Nelson was Victoria Day weekend for three days, $50.00 call out fee. Watson Lake, no fuel for three days to replace fuel pumps. Yes, Whitehorse does have self fuel 100LL even though the chart doesn?t show it. You can get customs at Northway, but it?s limited. I could only get clearance at 0900 and I didn?t find out until 0730 and it?s 1.6 from Whitehorse, by the way the customs number is good 24 hours. Their website is confusing and leaves the impression that they don?t open until 8. Depart Whitehorse, land Tok, runway is paved, get fuel and go to Fairbanks or Anchorage and clear. Be sure you call from Whitehorse. Anchorage customs, passport, pilots license, good to go. ATC, be firm, they tried to run me out into the gulf, I refused the clearance and told them I wanted to go direct. I said I don?t think I can catch the Boeing 747 I?m following, but if you don?t like 20 mile finals over water, tell them so. The 74 was at the gate, shut down before I landed. Customs is at gate November 2, west of the tower.
More later.
RV6A owner N6711
L19 sold
ATP/FE/CFI 10 Type Ratings.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:51 AM

Thumbs up

Glad to hear about trip success. Looking forward for another installment. Pictures please

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:32 PM

Glad someone is getting somewhere. We've been sitting in CO for almost a week waiting for decent enough weather to head north. Tried today and got to the Wasatch in UT and had to turn around and come home. Seems the weather is just stalled, no big stuff but enough to keep us from getting out of the US. Canada looks perfect, but just can't get there from here.

Frustrated.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:29 PM

Thumbs up Alaska

A bit more practical information. Landing Lethbridge customs is on the right, South end of the terminal, no agent for me. Go in the door, turn right, there is a yellow phone on the wall that customs will eventually answer in English. Have passport numbers and Canpass number if they ask for it. The fuel truck will fill you up, pay at the FBO and you are on your way.

Ft. Nelson, DO NOT TAXI TO THE BIG TIRES, stop short and push or pull down the hump, it is very rough and you could break your wheel pants. Have your own ropes. Best hotel is the Woodford, they will shuttle you both ways. There is a open door on the north end of the hangar past the double decker hangar east of the tower.

Watson Lake, do not stay here, 20 miles to town and the natives don?t like us. No one there, but the FSS man. New fuel pumps last week, I haven?t used them.
No flight service, you have to close with Whitehorse, check for frequency. This is good for camping only.

Whitehorse, fuel on west end, good self service. Check for code to get back into airport. I think it?s 1 and 5 together, then 2, but check. Best to park just east of the terminal. West Mark hotel has a shuttle. I don?t think you can camp at Whitehorse.

If you can?t clear at Northway. File eAPIS night before and call CBP early in the morning to see if you can get a time. If not they will ask when you can get to Fairbanks or Anchorage. Call back tell them you need to land at Tok for fuel and go on your way.
RV6A owner N6711
L19 sold
Old 05-27-2019, 10:05 AM

I copied the following from another post of mine 'cause it's appropriate on this thread, too.

Just returned after another foray to Juneau, and this particularly sticks in my mind:

You absolutely must have cell coverage for border crossing operations. Make double-d***-sure your phone will work throughout your trip in Canada as well as the USA. The coverage maps may look good, but pitfalls exist in network usage. The principle need is reporting your arrival to CBPA (having previously arranged arrival - by phone) and establishing an appointment with CBP - by phone - to reenter the US. Canada simply doesn't have the critical aviation mass to fund staffed airports and FBOs at every podunk field - even larger ones. Finding a landline can be next to impossible especially on Sundays. This is all on top of web access for filing e-PIS* notices.

Related, refueling isn't as easy as the US. Make sure fuel can actually be purchased when you arrive. Self-serve is not nearly as widespread as the 48 and fueling from the only FBO might bump into bankers' hours. Again, a working cell is very important for nosing around. Don't let the four-spokes symbol make you complacent. My wanderings tend to be in BC and YK; maybe it's better in the eastward provinces.

What's really nice is Canada and Alaska FSS services. Alaska did not adopt the Lockheed FSS model. You can walk into an FSS, though they are not numerous, for a personal briefing and, most delightfully, when you ring them on the radio you get immediate "how can I help you" responses, not a reading of the FARs, 20 questions, and VFR not recommended. Canada (at least Pacific and Edmonton Radios) are the same. How nice to receive service instead of a lecture.

John Siebold
Old 05-30-2019, 12:13 AM

Question Leaving Alaska

Anyone leaving the Anchorage area Saturday or Sunday? Judie and I are headed down the Alcan, weather permitting.
RV6A owner N6711
L19 sold
Old 06-06-2019, 09:12 PM

Exclamation I knew I would pay

We had a great 10 days in Alaska, Kennicott, Danali and visits with friends and just watching takeoffs and landings in Anchorage and Talkeetna. Now it?s time to go back to Texas. Wait two days for the Chickaloon pass to open so we can get to Tok. Wait for thunderstorms to pass to get to Whitehorse, file eAPIS late for weather, but Canadian customs is ok. Delayed a day in Whitehorse for weather, can?t get to Watson Lake. Depart early the next day, can?t make the pass and return to Teslin, gravel, mud, but it works ok. Full aft stick, don?t slow down all the way to parking. No prop, flap or dings anywhere. Unfriendly Nav Canada airport operator, no food, no hotel, two hour wait and a helicopter pilot says I can make Watson Lake, we do. No one has been east of Watson Lake, we made it to Ft. Nelson, 300 AGL at times and 12,500 ft. For a while. OAT was minus 8 and carb heat could barely keep carb heat above 93 degrees, normally 127. We got to Grande Prairie last night after 12 hours of weather decisions and a perfect running airplane. Sat all day today at the FBO, Happy Gas, a very good operation, waiting for VFR. No IFR because of icing and thunderstorms. The takeaway is be patient, we will try again tomorrow. I?m so happy to have Judie, the other pilot on this trip to help in every way. More later.
RV6A owner N6711
L19 sold
Old 06-07-2019, 05:01 AM

Good job Fred. They don't give Master Pilot Award for nothing. Your next three trips to Alaska will be less challenging.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Smile Thanks Vlad

We are still in Grand Prairie, low ceilings in Calgary and icing in the clouds above 4,000.
RV6A owner N6711
L19 sold
Old 07-02-2019, 12:06 PM

Any updates, it's a month later, almost.