Dude....throw a towel on those beautiful AL skins. Ha haha
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 04-25-2019, 04:02 PM

Default Form

May I borrow your form when your done!
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Dude....throw a towel on those beautiful AL skins. Ha haha
haha nothing a blast of air doesn't cure. I am however very careful to not sand the skins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
May I borrow your form when your done!
haha only if you can get it off in one piece lol
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 04-26-2019, 08:18 AM

Default Happy

I installed a new -7 tail with a -8 rudder on my -6.........
The store bought fairing was not a good fit. I did what you are doing.
You will be very happy and proud of your work!
Looking ahead....if you curve the layup around the HS leading edge, the fit will be so good, you only have to install screws in the trailing edge so it appears to be a screwless install.
Great pictures.......I made way more of a mess!
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 04-26-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Martin View Post
I installed a new -7 tail with a -8 rudder on my -6.........
The store bought fairing was not a good fit. I did what you are doing.
You will be very happy and proud of your work!
Looking ahead....if you curve the layup around the HS leading edge, the fit will be so good, you only have to install screws in the trailing edge so it appears to be a screwless install.
Great pictures.......I made way more of a mess!
Glad to hear I'm not the only one Bob. I do think in the end I will be happier with the results. I was also planning on extending the bottom a few inches to go with less screws. I'm also thinking about doing fiberglass bottom sections too but we will see on that one.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:32 AM

Just a couple of small divots to fill in and a little more smoothing around the base of the hs but I think it's ready for lay up. It looks rough around the edges but I assure you it's smooth.

20190426_064308 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I'm waiting for my West Systems epoxy and Sika to show up so I can't do anything on the canopy or the fairing. I'm in fiberglass mode right now so I figured mind as well start the tips. I think I am going to blend the tips to the control surfaces as well, I don't mind doing fiberglass work. The elevators are somewhat of a pain as you have to trim some fiberglass, as well as trim the lead counterweight a fair amount. I used my carbide die grinder attachment which made it a lot faster than just using a file.

20190427_152842 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Last edited by jcarne : 04-28-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:57 AM

I see some waves there in the plaster. That will require filling - extra work and extra weight. Get a flexible sanding block of some kind and drag it at 45 deg each way to highlight the high spots. Much easier to fix in the plaster than in the final fairing. A true surface is more important than a smooth surface since this is a male mold. I know this is a ton of work to get to this stage, I've done it. That extra 2% at the end makes all the difference.

Will you coat the plaster with anything?
Instagram @sblack2154
Old 04-29-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
I see some waves there in the plaster. That will require filling - extra work and extra weight. Get a flexible sanding block of some kind and drag it at 45 deg each way to highlight the high spots. Much easier to fix in the plaster than in the final fairing. A true surface is more important than a smooth surface since this is a male mold. I know this is a ton of work to get to this stage, I've done it. That extra 2% at the end makes all the difference.

Will you coat the plaster with anything?
Thanks for the feedback, I'll go ahead and touch things up a bit. I know I'm probably going to have put a thick layer of micro on after the fact but mind as well get it as close as possible before hand. The picture may look a little different than in person as well as the multiple coats have somewhat of a different color as well.

I was planning on waxing what you see (and taping a little more) before laying the fiberglass but would also like some recommendations if you have em.

Last edited by jcarne : 04-29-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:10 PM

After making a little plastic hut around the tail of the plane it was time to layup the fiberglass. I first ran some tests and let them cure for a day so I didn't screw my large hours on making the mold because I knew it wasn't going to make it two rounds of layup. I used 4 plies of 7781 from Spruce for the layup, the part is quite strong after the fact. I waxed the mold after some more tape work and went to town. I used 4 mil plastic and wet the fiberglass between two layers of the plastic. Then I cut the pieces to size (a little larger than needed) and laid them on the plane. I overlapped in the middle by a few inches, it didn't leave as much of a hump as I thought it would, sanding and micro will take care of it no problem. Finally, I applied the only peel ply I had which was two inch (man I wish I had wider for this one!) The next day I popped the part off, the wax I used worked perfect and let the part go like it was no big deal.

Here it is all laid up. If you look closely you can see a bubble towards the top, it came off the VS about 1/16-1/8", I will fill the back a little and sand it down, no big deal. This was the only spot that it didn't fit perfectly to the fuse.

On a side note, it sure looks ugly at this point. haha

20190504_153458 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here is the part after some trimming was done. As you can see I still have to extend the forward parts down and aft a few inches to really close it up. I simply couldn't get the fiberglass to lay down in this area nicely as one large sheet (probably because there was four plies in one?).

20190505_165526 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Overall I am really happy so far with how the part came out, it may not look like it yet but the contour is pretty dang good! The flat sections in the back came out a little wavy for my liking and I don't think I can use micro alone to fix it so I may have to do some trimming and re-glassing of that area but that's no big deal, it is nice and flat back there; or at least it will be.

It's starting to look like something, long ways to go in finishing it but it's cruising right along.

Let me know what you guys and gals think.

Last edited by jcarne : 05-05-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:36 AM

Nicely done! Interested in the final product.
RV-7 Build No. 71139
Empennage Complete, Wings on hand
Starting Fuselage 11/15/19
https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=lhead
Exempt but gladly donating!