Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I learned a long time ago that a demo of something in a video posted on youtube does not prove that it is the proper way to do something.....
By all means, pop over to Chuck's thread and tell him he's doing it wrong!
Old 03-29-2019, 06:32 PM

Default Update

I got out for some self directed practice this afternoon and am so glad I did. The autopilot never got turned on and I reminded myself that I knew how to trim. After confirming my landing configuration stall speed (47 KT) I practiced handling (level flight, level turns, stable descents) in the low 60s. I also practiced a few descents with an airspeed correction at the bottom - this is what Chris taught me in my transition training. Basically this is pulling power to 10", descend and intercept altitude, then leave the power out and raise the nose a little to bleed the airspeed down to 90KT. Then add a little power to hold airspeed and altitude. This works so well and this is something that the autopilot won't do. It's such a wasted opportunity to get the airspeed under control.

I kept my speed down as I approached the airport and was doing 85 KT when entering downwind. This set up an easy approach and I'm not sure that I landed at all, not a hint of contact, one second I was flying, the next I was rolling out. Had no idea it could get that smooth. Approach was about 65 KT, added 5 to get a longer landing and touched down right around 60. Everyone who assured me that that plane would fly fine at those low speed was right of course.

It was a good flight and it was really great to have the best landing of my life when I needed it the most.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 03-29-2019, 06:48 PM

Thank you for sharing your experiences and allowing others to learn lessons thru you and not directly, myself included.

Maybe with someone like flightchops now tied to Vans, someone could do some real good youtube videos for all of us on how to land properly, and even showing what happens when you don't do things "per the book"
Old 04-03-2019, 10:42 PM

Default Final update

Probably the last update I'll put in here. I'm just back from another flight that went exceptionally well. Between this thread, the many PMs I received and a very good conversation with Ralph the other night, I've managed to get on track with landing this amazing airplane. Lots more practice ahead, but the method is working great so far. Here is my "works for me" landing process.

If in the pattern, pull the power back on the climb to keep from jumping to 110 KT at altitude. Get downwind established at 85-90 KT, TRIM to keep that speed and stay level. This is about 18" MP for my plane. First bump of flaps (5 degrees) after abeam numbers, let it bring the speed back to 85 if necessary.

Turn base, add 2nd notch flaps in the turn, power back to 12", pitch for 75 KT and when there, TRIM to maintain the approach hands off.

Turn final, all of the rest of the flaps in the turn. Pitch for 65 KT and when there TRIM to maintain the approach hands off. Here I can play with the power a bit to fine tune the descent rate, don't need to do much. It flies in pointing to the ground (uncomfortably even).

Over the runway, doing 65 KT, once 6' AGL, flair to LEVEL. Speed will bleed off slowly as it settles down gently. Tonight I was flairing at 60-62 KT and it was gentle. As the mains touch, add enough back pressure to keep the nose wheel off as long as you can, maintain centerline with the rudder while it's still effective.

My corrections really come down to 4 things.
- Intentionally get my speeds down, earlier, lower and stable
- TRIM
- confidently point it at the runway, don't rush to flair, and use small and gentle stick adjustments
- discipline to keep the procedures tight every time

Lots more practice ahead - I've only got 5 landings in during this rehab stint - but they are the 5 best landings I've had in the plane. While I don't doubt that the plane can be landed well at higher speeds by a more skilled pilot, it REALLY likes landing close to 60 KT. The side benefit is that I don't have any trouble sharing the pattern/circuit with 172s, had a 152 up with me tonight and there was no problem.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in on this thread. I hope it can be as helpful to others here as it has been to me.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT

Old 04-04-2019, 03:05 AM

Hi Claude
During the build of my 9A I came from fearing I would flip the plane to be absolutely convinced it would happen. I am not a specially skilled or high time pilot, so my way of understanding what was going on below me during landings were to fit a camera and record both nose and main wheel behaviour. I will highly recommend you to do the same - There are a lot of learnings. For me the most important one came from a very soft landing on the nosewheel, that I didn't even knew took place. I edited some of the video's and put them together...please have a look .......Especially at end of of video ca 17min36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr92SjkTynA
I normally add 20 lbs in the baggage compartment when flying solo. I find it easier to get the stick all the way to the back.
Lasse
RV9A F-PLLE.
Piper Colt 1961 D-EDCE
Feel free to visit Franz Fonebone Aviation:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...t-gexyyUt_0Zxw
Old 04-04-2019, 06:47 AM

Nice landings! One can learn a lot from cameras looking at the gear.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:53 AM

Good job Claude. Sometimes just getting back to basics yourself and using regimented technique gets the job done. I'm sure that brings great satisfaction and more confidence to you now.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 450.6 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 04-04-2019, 07:11 AM

Lasse,
Great videos.
Ive been away from my plane for almost 8 months now and thought I was losing my desire to fly. This got me excited again. Thanks.
Flying N376E
Old 04-04-2019, 08:42 AM

That's some great video. The amount of oscillation in the gear on a good landing is surprising. The under wing camera view is something I haven't seen much of, I'm going to have to see if I can fit something on my plane.

Out of curiosity, Lasse, what is your typical speed at landing?
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT

Old 04-04-2019, 11:20 AM

Solo between 57 and 60 kts over threshold
MTOW I try to be around 62 kts sometimes a little faster if I have plenty of rwy
Underwing camera is simply fitted with a bolt in the tiedown pos.
RV9A F-PLLE.
Piper Colt 1961 D-EDCE
Feel free to visit Franz Fonebone Aviation:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...t-gexyyUt_0Zxw