- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:53 PM

Default Attitude Gyro

My vacuum operated gyro started to die today while flying back from Oregon. I need to replace it and was thinking of getting a new Garmin G5 to replace it with. I can easily remove the vacuum lines from it and wire in a circuit. I already have an auto pilot linked to my 430 Garmin that works great and I know the G% links as well. I was wondering what the best one to replace the vacuum type is? Eventually i want to remove the vacuum pump as I don't really see a need for it all it will run is the DG. Thanks

Dues gladly paid
Old 12-17-2017, 07:24 PM

Default G5

Get the G5 with battery back up. I've been running it now about 2 months and love it. See pic below...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y2yBP4WvNEiLT83I3
Old 12-17-2017, 08:14 PM

Default G5 or GRT Mini

I ended up with the G5 and Backup Battery. My panel is mainly Dynon so I wanted a backup from a different manufacturer. The G5 has a serial connection to the GTN650. The Mini would have been my first choice but it didn't fit in the space I had after removing the Dynon D6. The Mini is 4.35" wide, the G5 is 3.42"

I have been very happy with the G5. Garmin did a nice job with the internal GPS antenna. I thought for sure I'd need to use an external antenna but the internal one works great, even at the top of the center stack in the 10.

Gary

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-07-2018, 10:03 PM

Wish they were round
Old 01-08-2018, 06:51 AM

Default G5

You know they fit in a standard 3 1/8" instrument hole right?
Old 01-08-2018, 07:53 AM

Also, if you have the room on your panel you can flush mount them. I have the G5 as well and it'a nice addition.
RV-10 - Sold

Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 01-08-2018, 01:58 PM

You can purchase a second G5 Experimental version and use it as an HSI. Coupled with a Garmin magnetometer (the latter is a slight PITA to install, as the directions require it to be within 2 degrees of the horizon in level flight and away from major electrical components), it offers everything you need.

Three major advantages: First, the battery backup on both lasts longer than your fuel will. Second, you can quickly convert the HSI into an attitude indicator (two button pushes) if you need a back up, and three, you get rid of the vacuum system entirely.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:47 PM

Default Get the G5

You won't be sorry. It's a great gadget. Huge bang for the buck in terms of redundancy, reliability, etc. when you include the backup battery.
2021 Dues Paid
Old 01-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Hi Oly , yes i did realize it would go in the round hole. It's just that all my panel is round and I just don't want to disturb the look. I just purchased a trutrack gemini autopilot and am putting it where my electric turn and bank instrument is as that gyro has gone south. Got looking at my standard horizon/DG and thought about getting rid of those for the light weight stuff. The gemini weighs about 8 oz but I think it has some short comings as a true artificial horizon if I am interpreting what I have read properly. I saw a guy on u-tube making a final approach and it was giving a false indication of where the nose of his plane was pointing. It is round however and I thought about buying another one to replace my vacuum horizon. Then just need another DG to eliminate the vacuum system and keep the original look of my panel. Not sure yet however.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Eves View Post
The gemini weighs about 8 oz but I think it has some short comings as a true artificial horizon if I am interpreting what I have read properly.
You are correct about the Gemini. Short term it uses accelerometers to come to an attitude solution, but long term it defaults to rate of turn (for bank) and rate of climb (for pitch). So prolonged slow flight at constant altitude will result in a nose-level indication. As a precaution, the larger instrument will flash a warning if airspeed gets too low, but I don't think the smaller instrument does.