-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the tip Joe. I'll have to give it a try.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:08 PM

Default Empennage Fairing

Last Friday I decided to try and get a nice finish on the empennage fairing. I started with this:

Next I trimmed it and added some filler:

Today I sanded everything down and sprayed a coat of primer:

Didn't get a pic of it but it had so many pinholes that I knew this was going to be a challenge. Waited for primer to dry and went to town with the glazing putty:

Waited for that to dry and spent about an hour and a half sanding it down to 220 grit.

Another coat of primer and theres about 7 or 8 more pin holes to fix but it's 99% there.

The inside of my homemade canopy skirts will be slightly visible so I decided to go ahead and make them look better. Sanded it down with 80 grit and added a layer of filler.

Hopefully tomorrow I can sand it all down and finally get it ready to bond to the slider.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:12 PM

No Pics today but I did get the inside of the canopy skirt sanded. YAA!!!! More pinholes to fill! I'll tackle that tomorrow. Also pulled the landing gear fairings out today. Need to figure out how to jack up and level the plane so that I can start the cutting and alignment phase. Anyone got any simple easy ideas?
Old 11-29-2017, 11:17 AM

hey JT - what are you using as a filler?
Certified Aug 2021
Dues paid 2021
Old 11-29-2017, 05:50 PM

Old 11-29-2017, 10:12 PM

Today was a big day for me, I got the canopy skirt bonded on!
So, first I added a layer of glazing putty...

Sanded it down with 180 followed by 220

Cleaned everything with acetone and applied the Sika 209 primer (this stuff dries FAST and you need to work VERY quick) with a roller. Actually, I should have brushed it on using a chip brush directly from the can. There would have been much less waste using this method as the primer seemed to evaporate rather quickly. Next I applied a coat of primer to the canopy rail sections and plexi and let it dry for an hour while figuring out the install process.

I didn't get any pics of the install process because my hands were sticky. What I did was to apply a nice thick bead of 295 sikaflex to the plexi and canopy rails then flatten it out using a mixing stick. Then cleckoed the canopy fairing in place. Pushed everything down VERY firmly and used gorilla tape to hold it in place. I removed the layer of electrical tape that is right beside the canopy fairing on the glass removing any ooze from the sika. Last I cleaned up any ooze material with a mixing stick and wiped it off with a paper towel. The left side layed down nicely but the right side had a little bit of a gap that I'm hoping the tape will hold in place while the sika dries.

While letting that dry, I decided to go ahead and start the trimming of the gear leg fairings. I got one side trimmed to the template and then cut more of it off at the lower end to clear the brake line.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:30 PM

Talking

A side note to the canopy fairing...... While I was trying to get a nice finish on the inside of the fairing, I completely messed up and created a few craters on the exterior of it. I will be filling in the low spots that I damaged and refinishing the entire outside of the canopy fairing before this thing is done. Note to self.....Finish the inside BEFORE the exterior to prevent extra work.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:42 PM

Today was time to get the outside of the canopy skirt finished. Spent most of the day filling and sanding. I installed the inner canopy skirt brace, took the canopy off and cleaned everything and hopefully sprayed the last coat of primer.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:31 PM

So, yesterday I got to the shop and the slider skirt looked pretty good, only a few spots or pinholes. It looked good enough to call it done. I took all of the tape and plastic off and reinstalled the slider. Except for drilling the roller assemblies to the slider I consider this complete. Just need to figure out how to clean off a little residue left by the tape.

I also worked on the right wheel pant and landing gear fairing. I hope to be able to finish all of the landing gear fairings next week. (fitment only not finishing)
Old 12-03-2017, 08:47 PM

Cool Fairing

Hey you did some beautiful work and it looks great.My question is in a process like the bonding of the fairing I would think it is no stronger than the weakest link did you test the spot putty it looked like a full coat on the inside.
Thanks Bob