Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2017, 01:41 PM

Post Bracket for remote magnetometer

I want to fabricate a bracket for my dynon EDC-D10 remote magnetometer. What aluminum (type/thickness) do you guys use in general for fabricating brackets? does anyone have details of when you did your own bracket?

Also for the bolts to attach the magnetometer to the bracket what bolts would be best? Brass?

As per location in my RV-6, I'm thinking of mounting it in the fuselage, hanging from the second frame behind the baggage compartment. Not sure how much the antennas are going to affect the compass so I decided to position it further back.
17,18,19 Dues Paid
Old 02-07-2017, 02:59 PM

Avery used to sell a mounting bracket (maybe from SafeAir). Cleveland has a product/kit on their website that they may have inherited from Avery but no picture.
http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Remote.../#.WJozmSwzXq4
Old 02-07-2017, 03:31 PM

Default Sure

We just made our own. I think it is .063 2024-T3 and yes we used brass screws and nuts to attach it to the right outer wing rib. Half way from the main spar to the rear spar. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 02-07-2017, 03:33 PM

Thank you for the link John. The Safeair bracket won't be useful for me in the location I'm planning to mount it. I believe it is best if I fabricate one so that I can set it correctly.
17,18,19 Dues Paid
Old 02-08-2017, 10:36 AM

Default one way to do it....

2 lengths of J-profile scraps, and a wedge under the longeron to produce the appropriate 8 degree tilt to match the unit in the panel. ( yours may vary)
This is behind the rearmost bulkhead, accessible, kinda, thru the tail fairing/elevator/v. stab attach point.
forward is -----> right. Not my install, but must credit the builder!

Old 02-08-2017, 06:06 PM

Thank you Robert and Perry for your input and sharing the picture. Gives me some perspective. I'm planning to install it in the back of the fuse, closer to the tail (If I can get the bracket finished)
17,18,19 Dues Paid
Old 02-09-2017, 06:28 AM

Just created one out of a couple of bits of 0.040" aly, rivetted together. Thick enough to be strong/rigid - thin enough to work and not crack along the folds.
Used brass screws and aly nylocs to attach the remote compass to the bracket.

For my RV-6 with sliding canopy...
Attached it to the centre upright of the rear parcel area bulkhead, about 2/3 of the way up. Just drilled out some of the dome headed rivets and replaced them, attaching the bracket at the same time. It's going nowhere!

I replaced cad plated steel screws that attach the rear parcel area bulkhead panels with non-magnetic stainless ones to minimise the magnetic/ferrous stuff close to the compass.

When using this mount location when you do the compass swing and setup make sure the canopy is in flying position - i.e. closed.
Moving the steel canopy frame moves the compass slightly, but it's not a problem if it doesn't move in normal operations (flying with canopy closed and latched!!!)

Last edited by Robski : 02-09-2017 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-09-2017, 10:50 AM

I used silicone caulk to glue mine to a rib. Clamped in place for overnight. It's been there for 4 years. No issue.

If it ever needs service, I can easily remove it with a pocketknife.

Don
Old 02-12-2017, 07:11 PM

Cool Magnetometer mounted

Don, I don't feel comfortable trusting silicone caulk to hold it for me but interesting to hear it worked for you.

Thank you for the post Rob.
This weekend, I made a bracket out of 0.063 6061T6 I had left from a panel upgrade, pop riveted it all the way in the back of the fuselage and it looks pretty solid. I won't be able to test the magnetometer fully for a while since I'm in the middle of some major well needed upgrades for the plane. But I'm sure it will work much better than my existing compass which I cannot see that the builder decided to mount under the experimental sign in the back
17,18,19 Dues Paid
Old 02-12-2017, 07:23 PM

I only suggested it to point out that sometimes the solution can be much simpler than fabricated brackets and rivets

If you ever want to test how well silicone caulking can be for mounting, spread a thin layer on a scrap sheet of aluminum and sandwich another piece on top. You won't be able to separate them without a pocketknife (or a heat gun).

It's similar to using Sikaflex to fasten your canopy to the frame.

Respectfully,

Don