Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Thumbs up S/V rocks

The synthetic vision is one of those things you don't realize how wonderful it is until you have made the switch.

After flying with my new GRT HR screens, no way would I consider going back to the old units that did not have the synthetic vision.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 10-01-2016, 04:19 PM

Default Upgraded EIS, but it's not all smooth sailing

Swapped my GRT EIS-2000 for a fuller-featured -4000 this past month, along with a Mini-X to display it all. Re-used all the original sensors and copied my original settings for each into the new unit. Had to send the Mini to GRT to have the EPROM re-flashed after finding nothing we tried would allow a software update, but they handled that under warranty with excellent service.

I powered up the boxes today and lit the engine to see how it all did. It was nice to see 4 channels of accurate-looking and responsive EGT and CHT data on that color Mini-X screen. But apparently things aren't so great in fluid sensor-land. Oil Pressure seems spot on, ditto RPM and Voltage. Other than that, the fuel pressure is stuck at 1.9 psi, the MAP only reads 4.8 in. Hg. no matter the throttle setting, and the oil temp won't budge off of 59F. Time to triple-check wiring and connections (done with D-sub crimped pins as splices) and verify what I can. It's unbelievably frustrating to complete that much climbing in and out of the cockpit and that much attention to detail not to have it work first time, especially knowing that those sensors were functioning normally last time they were connected to an EIS box and their plumbing connections have not been touched. Cowl coming off again

Am I the only 6-owner who would literally prefer a free root canal to removing and replacing the cowl?

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - 50 hours +
65 years running stock DNA
Old 10-02-2016, 04:42 PM

Default A little progress

Discovered I had failed to reconnect anything but the serial data line from the MAP sensor to the new EIS-4000. Sensor module works better with power and ground going to it!

The MAP displayed today was 28.7" Hg with engine off. Local altimeter was 30.10 and my plane is hangared at 1060' MSL. Unless the day is way off standard conditions, shouldn't the reading be closer to 29.1"? Not sure when the last time was I checked the MAP reading with engine off, but I'm guessing I have a sensor that's drifted with age (18 years) or the EIS needs to see a different offset or K-factor than original.

Oil temp and fuel pressure gremlins next. Fuel pressure reading 1.9 psig since yesterday, no change with boost pump on or off.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:12 AM

Default Moving slowly along

Turns out the MAP issue on my 6A was just a matter of dialing in a new AuxOffset for that input. Dialed it in to agree with my altimeter, corrected for field elevation, with engine off. The Fuel pressure gauge issue was a lack of bias voltage to the sender, and apparently an original wiring error/omission from two decades ago that I simply carried forward when I replaced the EIS 2000 with the 4000. Proper 200 ohm resistor will fix that. I will be replacing the VDO oil and fuel pressure senders anyway, due to their high rate of failure over time - mine are 18 years old.

I will also take a whack at converting the Van's fuel qty gauges to (properly biased) resistive inputs for the EIS when the needed 470 ohm resistors arrive from GRT. It will be fun calibrating the tanks a gallon at a time all over again, and so nice to have a bar graph readout of fuel qty on the Mini. I think eventually I'll pony up the $$$ for fuel flow cube and software and call it good for the time being. I've never had flow/totalizer info before, but it might serve some useful purpose in the old gal.

Contemplating the -10 wings this weekend, with almost nothing in the way of starting the bottom skin close-out, I wanted to ask a few questions.

Obviously I need to run static/pitot/AoA tuning and conduit (and might as well pull wires, too) before close-out. It looks to me as if the aileron bell crank, push-pull tubes and the roll servo (Dynon, most likely) would be 1) much easier to install now, and 2) not really in the way of bucking the bottom skin rivets - yet the plans list the bottom skin before the aileron hardware. Is this for some good reason that I don't see?

My wing LE's are already cut out for Duckworks landing lights. Is there a good LED alternative to the halogen and HID lamps this kit was designed for 10 years ago? If not, I might close up the holes and go with tip mounted landing lights. Pretty sure the nav lights and strobes will be FlyLEDs.

Last edited by Bill Boyd : 10-10-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:10 AM

Default Time to choose an autopilot brand

Wings came to me with Dynon roll servo bracket already there. Not sure if Dynon and AFS use the same servo (or one with same external form factor). Pretty sure my glass will be from one of those two vendors, but if they're not interchangeable, the time to change this out most easily would be now.

Looks like the countersink removed a little too much material on this lower inboard wing skin. Other side is almost as bad. Does this look like an issue? Does it need a patch of some sort?

Old 01-15-2017, 08:38 PM

Default It's been awhile

Time for an update. Not a lot to show for a year of opportunity to make headway on this thing, but I've decided it's going to take however long it takes, and my family is not going to play second fiddle to this pile of aluminum in any way. (No, I am not being held hostage and forced to write this - if I were, I would use the secret code word to alert y'all to my duress.)

The fuselage is really coming together. I'm working on side panels and floorboards now, having finished the baggage bulkhead, door and floor.

My 6 year old grandson Jace helped with some blind riveting over the Christmas holiday;

The baggage door went together in straightforward fashion. There is the usual bow across the top edge where it stands proud of the fuselage side, which I will fill with epoxy/micro when the time comes to blend it in with the cabin top.

Things came to a standstill in the airplane factory for several weeks while I made my wife her Christmas present. Inspiration by me, graphic design by my talented daughter in law of oxdeer.com - the web design business she owns with my son, stencil cutting by my brother-in-law via his side business offthehookgraphics.com - and 3D relief carving by Mister Dremel She's pretty happy with it. Need to find a place for it in our yard close to the house and out of sight of road hunters and mailbox smashers.

Lorri wrote a book about her personal journey out of addiction and into recovery ministry, and put a phoenix on the cover. I am honored that she regards me as the missing final chapter in her story of rising from the ashes. (This all took on even more poignant meaning with last year's house fire.) She points a seemingly endless stream of broken women in our little mountain community to sobriety, wholeness and the Father's love. It's her calling, and I love being her wingman.

Next puzzlement is how to insert the rear seat floor pans only once, as some have chosen to simplify life by doing, and yet deburr the holes that must be match-drilled in to the rear web of the center spar carry-through. Maybe it's not really necessary.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:44 PM

Default Conduit routing

under the rear seats and baggage floor has been "Starkey'd" and looks like it will serve the purpose well.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
My wing LE's are already cut out for Duckworks landing lights. Is there a good LED alternative to the halogen and HID lamps this kit was designed for 10 years ago? If not, I might close up the holes and go with tip mounted landing lights. Pretty sure the nav lights and strobes will be FlyLEDs.
Bill, I just upgraded my Duckworks landing lights to these bad boys... Baja Designs Squadron Pro. There's an excellent thread right here, started by my good friend Mike Bullock. He really did his homework on these lights, and others who have used them give them very high remarks, too. The LED's are extremely bright, and they use a fraction of the current draw that the old lights use. No radio noise either!

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...t=baja+designs

Here are my original Duckworks 100W Incandescent lights:

Besides the fresh flat black paint, it was easy to cut out 2 squares of .032" sheet and fabricate these plates, and rivet them on to the existing brackets.

The new lights drop right in place. Easy peasy:

They're now ready to go back in the wings!

I'm also going with the FlyLed's for the Nav/Strobe lights. I've been busy here soldering the LED's, resistors, etc. to the boards. It's fun! You save a lot of money, and boy are they bright! Excellent product.
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 01-18-2017, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the info, Bruce. Eager to try my hand at just what you did here.

They're gonna be right and bright!

Old 02-11-2017, 05:40 PM

Default Rolling along

Working on rear seats, floor and side panels. Time for control system and brake & fuel lines soon. Inching my way toward the cabin top. [url=http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/sportav8r/media/IMG_3846_zps8az4vmid.jpg.html][/URL

Wondering about this fuel selector - it's a simplex Andair and there are no return ports on the fuel tanks. I might find myself limited to fuel injection systems that don't require that, and I'm not sure whose that includes and who it eliminates in the market. Ideas?