- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:30 PM

Default Video of my engine assembly

My engine, an o-360A1A was born back in about 1993 and first run in 1999. It flew about 500 hours until a noseover accident in 2009 resulting in a prop strike. I completely tore down the engine and had the crank and cam sent out for inspection. The case was sent to be professionally cleaned. The cylinders were "freshened up" by Columbia aircraft services (they now look like new, but were not technically overhauled because of the low time). New rings and pistons were purchased for the rebuild.

Many other parts were inspected and re-worked or replaced, and some were simply cleaned up and re-used.

After getting a quote of around $4500 just to assemble this growing pile of parts, I decided to build the engine myself. I was leaning toward this anyway, so the cost wasn't the primary factor, but it definitely got the ball rolling. This isn't my first aircraft engine build, but it is the first Lycoming. I purchased and studied two overhaul instructional video's, read the Lycoming overhaul manual, and looked at dozens of builders websites to make sure I was as prepared as possible. I downloaded all of the appropriate tech sheets that I could find and added them to the collection.

So... armed with as much information as I could collect, I set about to build my engine and accomplished that objective working from 5:30am to about 9am each day for four days.

I've prepared the following video to document the process. THIS IS IN NO WAY TO BE CONSIDERED INSTRUCTIONAL. I am an amateur building this engine for my own education and recreation. The sole motivation in posting it here (it isn't public on youtube) is to request that those with some experience kindly take the time to view it and let me know if you see something alarming, missing, or that could have been done better. Not every single piece of the build is there, but i have attempted to make note of the steps taken even if they are not recorded. Note that the video was taken after steps were completed to document what was done, not during to show how to perform that step. Finally, there are a few tasks yet to be done but which can be completed now that the engine is hung. These are listed at the end of the video.

Thanks.

https://youtu.be/mP9qrsFXtMo
Old 11-18-2016, 06:01 PM

About to watch it. Couple questions.

About how much did you have in cost for the tear down, assembly?
I've built many engines myself, non aviation. Did you find anything surprising? I don't think lycomings are anything difficult, just different.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:31 PM

Just about 7K, but that includes a new electronic ignition and impulse mag, fuel pump, new pistons and pins, obviously new bearings, and some hardware. The cylinders alone were $1700 of that (although $400 of that was the overpriced rings they fit to the barrels for me which I wouldn't have had them do if I'd realized it...). At only 500 hours I could have lapped the valves myself, put a hone on them and called it a day, but it didn't make sense to put grimy leaded-up cylinders on a brand new bottom.
Hope that helps. I can shoot you a spreadsheet with the specifics if you want.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:44 AM

J-red,

Do you mind sharing where to get the overhaul manual, videos, etc... from?
Empennage. Complete Minus fiberglass and attach section. FOR SALE
Build Log N925LC (Reserved) YouTube
Old 11-19-2016, 09:48 AM

Default Thanks for sharing

Have never seen one of these from the inside with this many details. Also helps that everything is new and clean. Very cool!
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)
Old 11-19-2016, 06:16 PM

that's a good video. thanks for sharing.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 11-19-2016, 06:45 PM

thank you for posting the video.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:25 PM

Cool Crank

Hey J Red I see you sent your crank to Rick Romans and got the old .003 job do you really think that your crank needed turning with only 500TT?I really doubt it or they would be falling out of an engine with 2000 hours on it.
Bob
Old 11-21-2016, 09:16 AM

According to RR, there were a couple of journals with some deep scratches that needed to be ground out, so they did them all. Hard to say what caused that since i wasn't around for the first 500 hours, but it is conceivable that the oil wasn't changed properly, or a bit of trash got in there. Or maybe there's more of a conspiracy to it Who knows.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:32 AM

For a prop strike there is more than the crank and cam to be inspected. All the gears need to be NDT'd for cracks. Was this done? I think there is a SB that defines all this. It sounds like you were very prepared so perhaps you are well aware of all this, but I thought I would mention it just in case. I am looking forward to watching the video.
Instagram @sblack2154