Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2016, 07:38 AM

Default Great Adventure!

Bobby,

Thanks for sharing your adventure. That is a great part of the country.
I love your airplane. I think it is one of the prettiest RV's I've seen and an avionics package to match. Awesome. My wife wishes I had bought a blue plane... I am based on an uncharted private strip 41nm east/southeast of KHOP.
White House, TN. I hope to run into you sometime and make your acquaintance.

Blue Skies and Tailwinds,

Jeff
Old 09-27-2016, 09:12 AM

I am told there is a good lobster shack within walking distance of the Bar Harbor Hancock County airport. I believe it's called Lunt's Gateway Lobster Pound.

Going to make a quick trip up there some Saturday soon.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:52 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks, Bobby we had a good time there as well. Your wright up and pictures are much better than anything we could have done. I think everyone should take a trip like this at least once in their life and I am glad to have found an old style ice house like the one on the north shore of Belfast harbor. There are very few of them like that still around. I hope that they will stay in business for some time to come. My only regret that I took away from this year is that I hope we don't overload Dave with work for those years to come.
Yours most truly, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 09-28-2016, 07:55 PM

Default Our Trip part#12

Here are a few more pictures from the fly-in

Here is a painting that was in one of the big hangers

We were hoping to leave Monday but the weather looked like it was going to have to be Tuesday. We still had more vacationing to do anyway...

We got up Sunday and went to find a church to attend. We found First Baptist Church of Bangor. It is a very old church and very beautiful.

After Church we went exploring around Bangor. We found a large statue of Paul Bunyan. She is hard to see, but Marsha is almost as tall as the base.

After that we went looking for Stephen King?s house, yes he lives in Bangor. He has a very beautiful house and neighborhood. The first picture below is his and the next one is one of his neighbor?s house.

Sometime during the day we went back to the hotel and I started working on this trip report, I didn?t know it was going to take this long to finish it. But it?s fun remembering all the details. I?m glad that everyone is enjoying it.
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 09-28-2016, 09:00 PM

Default Our Trip part#13

After a few hours it was time to explore some more. The girls at the front desk downstairs said that the Bog Walk was really neat, so Bog Walk it is! It is a really nice place to walk/hike. It was a little on the muggy side, kind of felt more like home. But it was a nice place.

Monday the weather was like it was forecast over cast and rainy, not a fly day. Tuesday was looking overcast and foggy in the morning with skies clearing around noon or at least in my mind that is what was going to happen. So if you?re a pilot, what do you do on a rainy day in Maine, before a long flight home? You go to the theater and see Sully ? a movie about a commercial airline pilot that lost both engines and had to land in the Hudson. Good movie!

After the movie we did a little shopping and then back to the hotel. I worked on the trip log some more. Later we started looking at reviews for a good Lobster restaurant for Dinner. Last night in Maine, I had to eat Lobster one more time. We weren't really finding what we wanted in Bangor. We did find a few that sounded nice in Bar Harbor, which was kind of far. Then we found one a little before Bar Harbor that sounded exactly what we were looking for. So off we went. Union River Lobster Pot, Ellsworth, ME ? We hit the nail on the head.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:23 PM

Default Our Trip part#14

Tuesday this was to be the last day of our vacation, at least we hoped we would be able to depart sometime today. We don?t have to be back to work until Thursday morning but we really wanted to get home today. We got up at 7am and were ready to leave by 8am. These where a few of the airports along our route.

We arrived at the Belfast airport at 9am. We got everything packed into the plane and ready to go. I went inside the terminal building and pulled out the computer to check the weather. It wasn?t looking real good, visibly was improving but the ceiling was about 1200?. I went out and wiped all the dew and bugs off the plane. Back into the terminal to check the weather, still about the same. It looked like it should be better by 2pm, I was really hoping it wouldn?t take that long.

I decided to go ahead and take the rental car back. The rental car company was 1 mile down the road, I planned to walk back but the guy there gave me a ride back. Check the weather again. Not changing much. About noon I found that an airport 35 miles to the west was starting to report scattered clouds at 1500? looking outside it still looked overcast at 1500? at Belfast. It looked like scattered clouds along our route and at our 1st fuel stop. I told Marsha if we can make it 35 mile west of us we could climb above the clouds and should be fine from there. That was it, we had a plan. We got in the plane and taxied out to the runway. It was starting to look lighter to the west. We did our run-up and taxied out for takeoff. As we lined up on the runway and looked out in front of us, there it was. About 1500? and 2-5 miles off the end of the end of the runway, a large clearing in the clouds. I pointed to it and told Marsha, that is exactly what we are looking for. It could not have been any better.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:31 PM

Thumbs up Nice

Great PIREP about a trip. Thanks for coming and joining the gang in Belfast!
david@rv12pilot.com
2021 VAF Supporter

RV12 #568 EAB
* Started 9/30/2011
* 1st flight 8/30/12

http://www.rv12pilot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/dvalcik
Old 09-30-2016, 09:04 PM

Great trip report - really liked your photos & writeup. We ended up with a great feast back here in NJ with delicious lobsters "air lifted" from Belfast, ME. What a great treat after a wonderful flyin.

RV-12, N913BC
2021 VAF Donation, please make yours too!
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 10-02-2016, 05:37 PM

Default Our Trip part#15 THE END

The rest of the trip home was very nice. It was hazy but the clouds where gone. We didn’t stay on the ground at our fuel stops very long, daylight was burning. This was the first fuel stop, Pittsfield, MA

This was after taking off from the second fuel stop, Mifflin County, Reedsviile, PA

By the time we got to Ashland, KY and refueled the sun was getting low. Another hours and a half of flying and we’d be home.

Back in the plane and we’re off. Marsha has only flown at night locally only a couple times. She started asking me about not being able to see after it gets dark. I told her I could land and let her out but I was going home :-) She decided to stay with me. As we passed south of Lexington and about an hour from home the sun disappeared below the horizon.

I have to say Marsha has done great on such a long trip. She has done a lot of first time things flying on this trip and I don’t think she got scared except while we were flying over the water. I think she will be ready to fly almost anywhere now. We land at home at 7:45pm local. We flew 7.3 hrs on the way there, 1.6 hrs local while there and 6.4 hrs home of which 0.5 was night. This was my longest cross county flight and I got to do it with my best friend, my wife :-)
Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to read our trip report, I really enjoyed letting everyone know how much fun we had on our Vacation Fly-in to Maine.

Last edited by bhester : 10-02-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:15 PM

Default Belfast Me

Bobby
It was great to meet you and your wife at the flyin. Your web site was a great help during my build. Fun to meet the human on the other side of the site! Thanks for posting your trip.
West Chester Pa

2021 donation current