Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2016, 08:10 PM

Default Our Trip part#4

When I looked up I saw this huge Moose come running across the runway, he was coming straight for us OH NO, Marsha was screaming.

No not really, all I saw was that I had not latched the canopy. I taxied to the end of the runway latched the canopy and took off from that end of the runway. 10:27 - takeoff. The trip to Belfast was pretty bumpy under the cloud layer so I climbed to 5500’ for a smoother ride. Somewhere along the way we saw this windmill farm.

The fall colors were just getting started.

Belfast strait ahead

KBST – Belfast, ME – We arrived in Belfast 34 mins later. Dave gave me and another Dave, a ride to the rental car company. I got a car and headed back to the airport with the other Dave I got to meet his wife Linda (they flew in with their RV12, along with another couple in their 12).
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription

Last edited by bhester : 09-21-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:06 PM

Default Our Trip part#5

While I was getting the car, Marsha took a few pics of the planes that got there before we did.

I like the one below best :-)

We got the plane tied down and all of our stuff transferred to the car.

We then headed to Bangor, where we had a room reserved with points. Dave reminded us that everyone was planning to get together the next night at Young’s Lobster Pond. After getting checked in to our hotel, we started trying to find a place to eat. I wanted to find a seafood shack, they have them around Maine the way we have Dairy Marts at home. The girls at the front desk gave us directions to McLaughlin’s Seafood and off we went. Marsha didn’t really know what she wanted. I ordered fried clams, fries and potato salad. I got Marsha a lobster roll. We shared. Marsha was mad that I got the lobster roll, (a lobster roll is lobster meat mixed in a mayo type dressing, on a hot dog bun), because it cost $13. She just knew for sure that was way overpriced. She found out later that was the lowest price lobster roll we found on the whole trip.

We got a text from Dave and he said a lot of the people that had flown in were going to meet at Sea Dog’s for dinner. We heard there was a river walk in that area, so we went a little early to check it out. The river walk area was really nice. We got a few nice pictures and then went to the restaurant to meet everyone. I am no good at remembering names, I wish I could. It was nice getting to meet people that I have only seen on VAF website. I hope to see you guys again, maybe at Sun n Fun.

Last edited by bhester : 09-23-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:32 PM

Default Our Trip part#6

The next day Marsha and I spent exploring Baa-Ha-Ba (Bar Harbor) and Acadia Park. It was an hour drive from the hotel; everything is an hour drive, Belfast ? Bangor - Bar Harbor. I took the picture below on the way there.

We walked around Baa-Ha-Ba and checked out the gift shops. There was one cruise ship in the Ha-Ba.

Before we left we had lunch at Cherrystones. I had cherrystone clams cooked in a wine sauce with jalapeno peppers and Marsha had a salad.

After leaving Baa-Ha-Ba we traveled through Acadia Park and got a lot of nice pictures. We left the park and headed to the only visible lighthouse in the area Bass Harbor.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:47 PM

Default Our Trip part#7

Here are a couple pic from the top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia Park and some pics from Bass Harbor.

By the time we finished all of this there wasn’t enough time to go back to the hotel so we headed to Young’s Lobster Pond in Belfast to meet up with the Fly-In guys.
On the way to Belfast for dinner, we saw a few interesting sites and we came across another lighthouse, Fort Point Lighthouse.

Last edited by bhester : 09-24-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:49 PM

Default Our Trip part#8

We were amazed at Young?s Lobster Pond, this place is awesome! The place is a barn, where the lobster boats come to and unload. There are holding bins lining both sides of the ground floor. The lobsters are sorted by soft shell or hard shell. The front part on one side is where you place your order and it is prepared right there. We were told that this is one of the last few places like this. Years ago there were a lot more.

I got to meet a few more people I know from VAF. We sit with a couple from North Carolina; they just finished Phase 1 recently and wanted to get more time on the plane before flying that far. One RVer got a 4 lb. lobster, that thing was huge!

I got to meet everyone?s favorites Russian ? Vlad, I also saw Turbo but never got to talk to him. It was so nice getting to talk to Vlad, he greeted me and commented that he really like my website, it was like we had known each other for years.

That was a full day, back to the hotel.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:20 PM

Default Our Trip part#9

Today was the actual Fly-In day. We got there about 9am and when we walked through the gate Vlad was moving his plane in front of a Cloudhopper. A Cloudhopper is an experimental single place hot air balloon. Vlad was going to use his prop blast to inflate the balloon. They got it inflated and where going to do a tethered flight but the winds where just a little too much, so they deflated it and put it away.

Marsha had to get her picture with the VAF celebrity :-)

We walked around a little. I wanted to fly to Eastport, before we left to come home and the next two days the weather wasn’t going to be very good, so if I was going to fly, it had to be today. Eastport is the furthest east airport in the USA. If the weather was going to be good the next couple days then I would have spent the whole day at the Fly-In. So we prepped the plane and we were off!

In the picture below is a field with rows of trees, it looked like. We could not figure out what that was all about, we saw a few fields like this. If someone knows let me know.

Below is where we where headed, Eastport. The jagged blue line is the border of the US and Canada.

The terminal building could use a little work, mainly some bee control, Marsha was going to go in but the bees kept her out.

Last edited by bhester : 09-25-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:16 PM

Default Our Trip part#10

We made it to Eastport and refueled then we flew down to Baa-Ha-Ba airport and around Acadia Park-Cadillac Mountain. I wanted to fly around some of the lighthouses out on the islands but Marsha didn’t want any part of flying out over all that water. The picture below is what I wanted to tell her, but I didn't. I usually do my best to keep her happy :-)
It is right there in front of her every time I tun it on.

Can somebody tell me what these are?

I did get to fly by the Bass Harbor Lighthouse that we visited yesterday on the ground. It was a little bumpy and Marsha did her best to get a picture. That was enough flying around Maine, so back to the fly-in at Belfast.

Last edited by bhester : 09-25-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:51 PM

I'm taking a wild guess here...the row of "trees" in the open field looks like Hops and th circles in the water, fish farm maybe?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:17 PM

Default Our Trip part#11

We got back and there was a helicopter giving rides, people everywhere talking airplanes, and food vendors serving up lunch. There was a birthday cake in Dave’s hanger. Marsha headed to the restroom and as I was walking past Dave’s hanger they were handing out awards. They motioned me over, if Marsha hadn't walked away she would have been in the picture also. They presented us with the Furthest Distance Flown Award. The award itself says Outstanding Aircraft, so I’ll call it my Furthest Distance Flown Outstanding Aircraft Award, thank you very much :-)

Marsha and I got a burger and headed over to Dave’s hanger to eat. There was a girl singing country music in the hanger across from Dave’s, she was really good. We walked around for a while and looked over some really nice aircraft and hangers.

A bunch of the guys were starting to leave because the weather for Sunday and Monday wasn’t supposed to be too good.

Last edited by bhester : 09-26-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:27 AM

Default Nice write up!

Hey Bobby......thanks for the great trip write up. Man....the visual of the fried clams really got my glands salivating. Beautiful photos of my New England homeland..... I get fried clams every time I travel up there. When I met you at Triple Tree about 3 years ago your airplane was still painted like Vlads.....it really looks great with the new coat of makeup!!!
RV-8 QB Reserved N212KB
ATP
CFI/CFII/MEI

Build Site: http://www.mykitlog.com/skykingbob/

"Nothing worthwhile has ever been accomplished without inspiration, determination, and perspiration!"