Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2016, 09:41 PM

Default Alternate Lodging

Jim, I just heard the RCC was completely full ... that's pretty amazing since we are still 2 months out. I would suggest that you get on the wait list for the RCC because that is like lodge central even if you can get something at Mather which by the way is a great place as well.

Mather Lodge is just down the road and it is an option but our transport there is suspect so we can't promise continuous shuttles at this time but we can work it out. Mather has a very limited number of rooms so you need to do it now if you are going to do it.

If you do, be sure to put some pressure on them to run a shuttle to the airport in case we can't make regular trips. It's about 4 miles away and they have transport if they choose to use it.

Shaping up to be a big weekend on the Mountain!

Bill

PS, Scott was right .... it is some of the easiest airplane camping you will ever find!

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid 5/26/21
Old 08-11-2016, 10:03 AM

Default The logde is full .....

UPDATE 8/11/2016 As of this morning .... it appears that the Rockefeller Conference Center is completely booked! There is no alternate lodging available as there are no other hotels on the Mountain...really it's true! One of the issues is that a few folks have booked several rooms under one name. PLEASE PLEASE be sure you are coming if you do that. The RCC cannot keep a running wait list so we just have to turn Lodgers away if the rooms are booked. But remember, it's very easy camping so that's always an option and this really is a "Fly, Camp, Lodge, & Hike" event :--)

We all understand WX cancellations but please don't just hold a block of rooms until the last minute and please be sure you have also completed the online registration for all attendees if you have already reserved a room(s). THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT!

Dues Paid 5/26/21
Old 08-11-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSchlatterer View Post
UPDATE 8/11/2016 As of this morning .... it appears that the Rockefeller Conference Center is completely booked! There is no alternate lodging available as there are no other hotels on the Mountain...really it's true!
That said, there may be alternatives for those who don't want to camp.

I seem to recall folks renting private homes on the RCC side of the mountain. I assume they are absentee-owned vacation rentals, and you might find one through those channels.

There are a number of small towns with airports in the immediate area. Morrilton and Russellville are close, and both Little Rock and Hot Springs are only about 15 minutes away at RV speeds. Gotta be some decent rooms out there somewhere.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
That said, there may be alternatives for those who don't want to camp.

I seem to recall folks renting private homes on the RCC side of the mountain. I assume they are absentee-owned vacation rentals, and you might find one through those channels.

There are a number of small towns with airports in the immediate area. Morrilton and Russellville are close, and both Little Rock and Hot Springs are only about 15 minutes away at RV speeds. Gotta be some decent rooms out there somewhere.
i will add info to this. Several years ago friends of ours did rent one of the houses while at Petit Jean. It was a very nice two bedroom home complete with everything, fully stocked kitchen, big screen tv, backed up to some woods and very peaceful. I do not remember the price but it was very reasonable. I do believe they rented it through the Rockefeller Convention Center. So if anyone is interested in that I can attest that the house they rented was exceptionally nice. You might want to call and check into it.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 08-11-2016, 07:25 PM

Default Camping

So for first timers who have missed out on the hotel rooms, what is the camping scenario.
Previous campers experiences as to what to and not to bring and what to expect etc.
Thanks

Last edited by sirlegin : 08-11-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:45 AM

Default Camping

I've been to PJ the last two years. The biggest mistake I made the first year was underestimating how chilly the nights can get. My sleeping bag was too light weight. It was a painfully miserable night. Thankfully there are showers on site with great hot water. It warmed me up but I had to spend the rest of the night sitting by the fire in rotisserie mode for some heat. Last year I was prepared and it was great. Now I hope it's always chilly at night. Makes for great sleeping! Only other thing I can think of for camping is a pad placed under your sleeping bag. The ground can get pretty hard. I have the blue rolled up one that can be picked up at Wally world. Super light weight and it does help some. I've seen some with blow up mattresses. The lodge would be very comfy but to me, camping under the stars has turned out to be one off the parts I enjoy the most!

Bill and the rest of his team do a wonderful job with food and beverages. The best part is all the wonderful people that come from all over just to hang out and enjoy RV's and RVers. I love Oshkosh and SnF but this is the event I look forward to the most!

This photo was taken last year. I don't remember who took it but we were sitting/laying on the ramp when it was done. With a view like this available, well it makes the middle of the night trip to the bathroom worth it!

RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$

Last edited by Paul 5r4 : 08-12-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:55 PM

Just wanted to let everybody know that Van's will be there (myself and Sterling) with the RV-14 this year! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Adam Burch,
Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not those of my employer.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:45 PM

We are coming again and looking forward to it! But we will be bringing a smaller tent so no one can accuse us of having the "Mansion on the Hill" or the "Taj Mahal"!
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Dues Paid
Old 09-08-2016, 08:54 PM

Default Maybe some rooms ??

So we said all the rooms on the Mountain were booked but it may be there is a still a cool deal close by. We can't guarantee getting the vans by there every 30 minutes but we can definitely get you to and from the airport on call. I can't say I have ever been there (it's about a half mile away) but I understand it's a lot of fun and might be a really cool place to stay if you're in a RV10 and bringing kids!

If anyone has any interest in the horseback rides, we can set that up for you as well .....but you gotta let us know ...... you have registered .... right

Also remember there is always camping room .... but please register so we know you're coming

See you on the Mountain! Bill

Hi Bill and Jerry,

As we mentioned earlier, here is the information on something else that people might find fun to do on MPJ.

"City people" might enjoy horseback riding and/or visiting an animal petting/feeding zoo. They also have a large barn house with 4 bedrooms for $129.00 per night.

The owner said that she would give a discount of $2.00 off of the 30 minute trail ride and $7.00 off of the 50 minute ride with 7 people per ride. (Discount to $16.50 & $20.00).

With a little planning, they will do hay rides, also.

It is located on the first N/S road just east of the airport, the same road as the car museum.

Just offering additional options for you.

Bob and Linda

Their website; http://barnyardfriendsandstables.weebly.com/

Dues Paid 5/26/21
Old 09-08-2016, 09:21 PM

Did you send out any sort of confirmation for folks that registered?

I registered a while ago, but didn't get any sort of confirmation.

-Dan