-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:37 AM

Very nice project, and very nice timing on that cowl flap! Have been recently considering a similar mod myself. Appreciate you sharing those photos.... Might just borrow some of your IP.

Houston
Old 04-29-2016, 10:48 AM

Is paint on your radar at this point? Do you have a scheme picked out? The fastback has such nice lines. I look forward to seeing that.
Instagram @sblack2154
Old 04-29-2016, 11:15 AM

What about the exhaust fairings? Looks like you started to do something there. That is one thing i wish Van would improve: better exhaust fairings. I looked at a Lancair ES and was duly impressed by what they did. Something similar to the photo below but better. I hate how the RV-10 exhaust pipes just hang down at different angles.

#40533 RV-10 Builder and CFI
1/2006 Started build
10/19/2011 First flight
Old 04-29-2016, 12:01 PM

Default Fast-Back to the future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX-O View Post
Folks have been asking how it is going lately.
I took my wife (and the plane) on the first trip outside our area. My wife absolutely loves the plane and told me she is attached to it already. She is really happy with the additional room that the rocket canopy/fastback offers.
Axel,
My wife made the exact same comment after I sold my Four "The Bandit" and bought a Rocket project. Once she started flying in the HR2, all others were rubbish!
BTW, it was great meeting you during the pre-purchase on your former four...
V/R
Smokey

PS: A true mark of comfort for a wife back-seater is to check Six and see her snoozing away during rare level flight excursions...
Old 05-01-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylor View Post
Hey, nice crop job on the fourth picture!

Skylor
that was George. He did a good job with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Blank View Post
Of course checkerboarding the cowl flap will certainly increase the flow rate/volume too...
Joe, i am on it. I did not realize the rate/flow would be incresed by simple checkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
Might just borrow some of your IP.
Borrow all you want, that is why i post. That being said, that is a modified DanH cowl flap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
Is paint on your radar at this point? Do you have a scheme picked out?
It will be a while before she is ready for paint. Sorry, I share a lot about this build but the paint job is the one thing that i am not sharing until its painted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchang10 View Post
What about the exhaust fairings? Looks like you started to do something there.............I hate how the RV-10 exhaust pipes just hang down at different angles.
There is still a lot of things i want to try on the exit area. but it is much harder now to work on the plane becase it is flying and it is no longer in my garage. So things drag on and on.

If you dont like the way your pipes look, fix them. Learn the skill set required and go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyray View Post
PS: A true mark of comfort for a wife back-seater is to check Six and see her snoozing away during rare level flight excursions...
I turned around to check on her and she had both hands behind her head leaning back (like in a sofa watching the real house wives) looking at the airliners above us.
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weigh out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk. Further more, these are my opinions and not those of my employer.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:22 PM

Update:
Well…. The first conditional inspection is almost completed. I can’t believe she has been an airplane for a year now. I was only able to fly her for about 55 hours in the first year as there was a lot (I mean a lot) of what we call “fly-fix-fly” mods. The most significant were the numerous oil cooler and oil cooler configuration changes to include the engine plenum.

I have not found anything unexpected during the conditional inspection as I have kept a close eye on things. Taking things apart, cleaning, lubricating, etc. more than usual. The small things I added in the build process to simplify maintenance have really paid off. IT IS IMPERATIVE to think about how you will maintain the aircraft during the build process. If there is something you don’t want to open up, or crawl into or just plain do; figure out a way to overcome that issue during the build process.

I did take the time to make a few “upgrades”.
-Added a 5th harness strap for my wife.
-Painted a few interior parts.
-Reset the control stick to the right so it would be more ergonomically suited for my flying position.
-Made/installed an exit fairing at the bottom of the fuse covering the engine-mount cross-tube. This was a new concept for me. I let a friend (Brian, future RV builder) make the part and just provided guidance and requirements. It turned out very well, flight data to come at a later date. I also came up with a way to interface the new fairing with the DanH’s style cowl flap. Will post pics later.

Discovery
In the process, I discovered that the injector restrictor nozzles on the 340 were .028. Long story short, Don at Airflow Performance (the nicest, most supportive vendor I have ever talked to) is sending me .022 restrictor nozzles. That should also help with my idle issue. Fingers crossed. Will report out later.

Still to do:
-Arrive at the final rudder trim wedge size. Slowly cutting it down.
-Make aft wing root fairings.
-Reset the incidence angle on the horizontal stab.
-Motorize DanH’s style cowl flap. Brian is working on a concept to automatically open/close the cowl flap based on engine temps and also provide the capability to override the position.
-Install the right pitch/length prop. Waiting on the 4th version.

Keep pounding rivets, running wire and sanding fiberglass. See you at OSH.

The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weigh out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk. Further more, these are my opinions and not those of my employer.

Last edited by AX-O : 05-31-2016 at 10:47 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 06-26-2016, 10:39 AM

Dilemma went to the Reno for Pylon Racing School (PRS) http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=139124

The exit fairing did improve the airflow out the bottom of the cowl. I left the oil on the belly for about 15 hrs and the patterns look much less undisturbed. Will try to post pics later.

Oil temps are rising at a slower rate and end up 8-9 degrees below previous conditions.

The cowl flap is also working well, lowering the oil temps with minimal impact on airspeed. The airspeed drop is almost immeasurable with a 1 inch opening (adds 16 in^2 of exit area or almost 50% increase in exit area). I still need to make this adjustable in flight. It is still only adjustable manually on the ground (2 AN-3 bolts). By the way DanH, many folks at Reno liked the concept of the cowl flap.

The next prop from Catto showed up (this one was $$$$, it has the nickel edges). Craig completely changed the prop profile. It went from a 70X76 to a 68X84. The overall blade is significantly narrower. He wanted to get my RPMs up on the ground and keep the engine around 2700 in cruise. Will see how it does.

Last edited by AX-O : 08-16-2016 at 02:13 PM. Reason: pics not working
Old 08-16-2016, 02:10 PM

I have had some time to fly the new prop. Comparison of the props below. Additional feedback from my wife is that the prop looks too small everyone is a critic. Next prop is under development right now. Craig is trying a completely new blade design. The blade will be modeled similarly to a 787 wing tip. He is also going back to a 70 inch diameter. The one thing I have not done is compared the props at the same MAP. I did not have the time to collect the data prior to the OSH trip.

787 wingtip

data collected

Old 08-16-2016, 08:33 PM

I got some pics of the prop today (mentioned on previous post). Should be ready in a few days. This one is 70 X81 and designed for an RPM of 2,800 WOT at 8,000 ft DA.

Last edited by AX-O : 08-17-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:26 AM

Default No Pics

AC,
Hey I am not seeing the pics, are they shared ?
Dues Paid Nov. 2021