Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:46 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
We use a lot of Mini-split heat pumps but they have their application. Computer rooms, back porches, home offices and areas where adding ductwork is a problem.
Many issues with the cheaper versions. Sorry Gil.
Mel has it right that too large sucks and won't remove humidity. Again regional. Gil could care less about humidity.
The "cheap" choice of a Gree unit was based on a friend's observation that almost all of the units he saw in China were Gree units - in a land where the mini-splits are the standard.

As a DIY person (like most homebuilt plane assemblers) it sometimes gets more cost effective to simply replace cheaper units after a few years than call in expensive HVAC mechanics.

Tucson does get humid conditions during the present monsoon season of July and August, that's why the RE folks call it a "lush desert". The pool of water from the house AC condensate drain shows that...
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 07-21-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
Well you shouldn't have got me started.
Region and climate make all the difference in the world.
Yes it sure does. I only recommended natural gas for heat (over electricity) if it's available. LP is way more expensive. If you compare the annual operation cost of a natural gas fired heating device and an electrically powered one, gas is significantly less money.

As a Service and Repair contractor, we mostly see appliances when they break. Almost all of them work well when they are new, but we find certain brands and types seem to fail earlier. In addition, incorrect installation can cause problems that make even good equipment look bad.

You do have a nice looking shop there Scott!

regards

~Marc
Old 07-21-2016, 06:47 PM

First, it is nowhere near a "shop" yet. There is another 6mo of work for Tanya and I after the framers are done before we start moving machine equipment in. (electrical, hvac, "plumbing", drywall, ...)

Ok, see, we're almost all on the same page. No HVAC pissing matches here. This is all about the best way to be comfortable building an RV. Heck, Douggie not long ago was talking about his little window unit over his RV3 "work bench"... It is a big contentious topic "on the internet" and of super importance to us on this project.

I'm exhausted from another day of "supervision" watching a couple of guys putting up Hardie. They only have to demo an hour worth of work tomorrow. I'm sure they are cussing me at every turn, but I am super nice and always send them home with 5-10# of veggies from the garden that they are working next to.

TC reports that she is setting up to start the cookie baking machine, right after she does one more "test flight", out the back jack. "See ya' later!" The guy ultimately responsible for FWF says, "No, we're good, no need." She is all about belt and suspenders . I'm happy to turn on APRS TV.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser

Last edited by scard : 07-21-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:06 PM

Exactly why I hate being a builder. I enjoy building but all the other personalities ruin it.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:18 AM

Very nice Scott! I'm jealous at the space.

I insulated the heck out of mine...and I can easily retain 10-15 degrees less than outside in mid day. Now if I could just enjoy that for more time...

Looks great.
RV Factory - Complete sans floor coating, Slideshow Here

Quote:
People are not excellent because they achieve great things; they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent.
Gerald G. Probst, Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman
Old 07-24-2016, 10:59 AM

Scott
Very nice shop build. I'm thinking of building a very similar size and style of shop. If you don't mind me asking? What cost do you think you have in the building when it's done? Trying to decide if I can afford a similar build quality.
Thanks
Rob
Old 07-31-2016, 06:20 PM

Ok, I got enough comments on this thread at OSH that we'll keep it going. We have some real experts among us. Some of those shop conversations went well into the night at OSH. I appreciate everybody's comments. It is a learning process for us, very much like building an airplane.

We delayed our run to OSH by a day because the framers were supposed to be working all day on Saturday. Guess what, they didn't even show at all! *#!*@!! We had a conversation with the contractor before we left and he was sure they would be ready for punch items when we got back. We returned yesterday and they had put up a little more siding and the entry door. Nothing to write home about and certainly not "almost done".

Sorry, I don't even have a picture for you. Very little has changed. However, we do have a concrete HVAC plan that I understand and agree with. That is a huge step and clears a whole bunch of uncertainty on our part. I got a great education at OSH that I'm going to be doing my homework on this week. Thanks Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekit View Post
Scott
Very nice shop build. I'm thinking of building a very similar size and style of shop. If you don't mind me asking? What cost do you think you have in the building when it's done? Trying to decide if I can afford a similar build quality.
Thanks
Rob
Rob, surprisingly enough, there is no budget and we have but a very faint idea what we think it will end up costing. We're approaching this as our version of a fine custom home, otherwise it would end up like a shack given our lack of experience. If I told you what we think that number is, I'd have to kill you, or sooner yet, myself . This is the wrong time to build anything in central Texas. However, the framing labor, everything that has been done so far, seems really cheap to me at around $7k.
VAF Advertiser

Last edited by scard : 08-03-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:03 AM

Default Framing "done"

Yesterday we had the full crew working on the shop and they finally finished. See the guy that is out of place in the first picture. That is the framing contractor. He wanted to get paid. Not so fast. I need a day to work up any punch list items. Actually, I've been watching so close that there may not even be a punch list.

Next steps are:
- Tanya is talking to a painter (or at least attempting to) that gave an attractive quote for paint labor. If that comes to fruition, we'll have it painted. Otherwise, we're going to paint it ourselves. We would prefer to have paint done before roof and rock.
- The overhead door is scheduled for install this Friday.
- The roofer is ready to go as soon as we say so.
- I don't know what the status of our rock guy is. I'd have to consult the GC on that one. Hopefully we still have a rock guy.
- Hose bibs and other "non-plumbing". Hmm, does the plumber stub in the hose bibs through the rock before or after rock? I'm guessing before.
- I have marked most of the receptacle and switch locations inside. It is time for me to start setting boxes, punching holes, and running wire. I set the load center last Saturday.
- When the overhead door goes up, I'll install the lock set on the entry door. It is coded so no key is required. I've promised unfettered access to all our friends. "Don't ask, don't bother me, just go use the space and tools as if it was your own. If you leave with a tool, there will be a sign-out sheet at the front door."
- We need to clean up all the construction debris.
- The rock guy will do "under pinning" to pretty up the sides of the foundation. Then we can continue our back filling. I see more tractor time in my future.

This is our framing crew. They're all brothers.

I'm sure it will look very different once we get it painted. This is just primer.

This is what it looks like from the house.

And what it looks like from the front yard.
VAF Advertiser

Last edited by scard : 08-03-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:30 PM

Will there be a rain gutter on the shop roof above the porch roof, or will you just let it dump on the porch roof? That is going to be great!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEA View Post
Will there be a rain gutter on the shop roof above the porch roof, or will you just let it dump on the porch roof? That is going to be great!
Yes, there will be a rain gutter above the porch and on the porch roof. The plan is to do rainwater collection to feed a couple of hose bibs and water my vegetable garden.

I sent the framers home with about 10# of peppers, squash and okra the other day .
VAF Advertiser