- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:32 PM

Default Hancock

Upstate list still shows breakfast every Sun May thru Oct. ????
Old 07-04-2016, 06:39 PM

Fresh installment from past month.

NY1 Kline Kill. Very good surface. They have Big Breakfast in June.

NK17 August Field. A lot of interesting things are at that island airport. An outhouse with plumbing and running water is one of them.

1H1 Airlane Enterprises by Syracuse NY. Very tricky field. It looks inviting from the air but after touchdown you continue bouncing till full stop. If you go don't come hot, work your throttle, stick and brakes on rollout. Very uneven I wouldn't recommend for RVs with training wheel.

9B8 Salmon River, CT. Wins monthly contest easy come easy go.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:33 AM

Default Giffin 3PA4

This little airfield is sandwiched between the hills in a Pennsylvania valley. Almost a backcountry strip. Short with no overruns. Its caretaker is Paul Nulton. Paul won an Oshkosh award in early 1990ies and was featured in a Kit Plane magazine twenty something years ago. The worn issues are still in his hangar but when I asked him to borrow the magazines for a week he respectfully declined. Understood.

I found the field last year and shot several approaches. The glideslope was too steep and and with the winds blowing in all directions I chickened out . This year I came again. Found the strip freshly mowed and a working tractor nearby. Winds calm. So I landed and was met by two very friendly gentlemen who thanked me for coming and shook my hand.

Paul Nulton showed me the vicinity. He said very rare an aircraft is coming to here. If it comes his hard work as an airfield keeper is justified.

There is a swimming hole nearby and a nice family owned grocery store.

Paul's ultralight is in the hangar and he hadn't flown it for years. He said he crash landed it and don't have motivation to fix and fly again.

In two weeks I called Paul and came again to give him a ride. It was a challenge to take off heavy. We bailed out with right turn through the valley couldn't climb straight. Paul was operating the controls from the right seat for more then an hour. Without any chart he showed me so much within 50 NM radius I was shocked. There is at least a dozen small uncharted fields operated by farmers. Paul was pleasantly surprised by RV performance he never heard of Vans aircrafts. Imagine if he rides with Captain John! Here we are the Men in Black.

This is Paul the Champion of the Races year of 1963!

Later I gave a ride to Paul's son Wade. Both Nultons are natural pilots the life just got on their way to pilot certificate. Good job guys the spy will be back in September...

Last edited by Vlad : 07-20-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:39 PM

Default 73PN Finkhaven

8 miles north of Lycoming factory along Trout Run brook there is a 1,500' airstrip. Purchased and developed by a legendary man, a WWII vet and a Cold War flyer Jeffrey Fink. With Mr Fink Sr gone west years ago the airfield is maintained by his youngest son.

You can see him down in the middle of Trout Run granting permission to land.

That's how approach to this field was explained by late Mr Fink to his flying friends. You fly toward this mountain till you get scared then turn right and fly to that mountain till get scared. After that you turn right again and land. So true it took me three tries to nail correct speed and slope. Field is nice but trees on both sides of the 1,500 runway eat couple feet of landing distance.

Fink the Junior is a super friendly gentleman. Briefed me on local spots and departure. The creek is quite shallow. Tons of crawfish.

I am not the only swimmer there. See that orange bellied turtle?

Great talk great walk great time! Thank you Sir!

Old 08-14-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Instructions? Where are they Jim? I don't have a google installed in my computer. I was at Hancock on Sun May 22nd and didn't smell any food.
I did not realize what a stud you are, Vlad. Anyone who can find their navel anymore without "a google installed in their computer" is, like, Survivorman, dude This takes more cajones than flying Alaskan glaciers in 60 knot headwinds.

Come see us sometime. I just mowed.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - 50 hours +
65 years running stock DNA
Old 09-03-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
I did not realize what a stud you are, Vlad. Anyone who can find their navel anymore without "a google installed in their computer" is, like, Survivorman, dude This takes more cajones than flying Alaskan glaciers in 60 knot headwinds.

Come see us sometime. I just mowed.
Bill, you speak so not bookish English I had to enlist a linguist pilot to interpret some of your words. Your grammar, however, is surprisingly correct per Soviet textbooks circa 1988. In the meantime the herbarium list is getting thicker and thicker. 36 new grass strips are conquered within 20 days from July 29th to August 16th on a mega trip. Some of them have a lot of grass and some barely a stem or two. Let me introduce you to Russian Flat M42. The newest and roughest field I've ever been.

Fort Peck 37S of the most intricate layout.

7S7 Valier/Lake Francis the most picturesque (and soft) airfield.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:54 AM

Default It surprises you my grammar is correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Bill, you speak so not bookish English I had to enlist a linguist pilot to interpret some of your words. Your grammar, however, is surprisingly correct per Soviet textbooks circa 1988. In the meantime the herbarium list is getting thicker and thicker. 36 new grass strips are conquered within 20 days from July 29th to August 16th on a mega trip. Some of them have a lot of grass and some barely a stem or two. Let me introduce you to Russian Flat M42. The newest and roughest field I've ever been.

Fort Peck 37S of the most intricate layout.

7S7 Valier/Lake Francis the most picturesque (and soft) airfield.

I am heartened to hear my English grammar comports with official Soviet doctrinal expectations of the perestroika era. Evidently my primary school masters took a page or two from official Party handbook of linguistics of the 60's - 70's. Let me try some 'meme-English' on you, Vlad (after the example of Russian comedian Smirnoff, of Russian Reversal fame)

In Russian Flat, automatic roughness experiences you!

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - 50 hours +
65 years running stock DNA
Old 09-04-2016, 08:01 AM

Del Bonita H28 which is also Whetstone International CEQ4 a bit weird isn't it? It's an airport of entry when you call a proper country for customs make sure you spell the proper identifier. My friend wasn't allowed to clear to Canada there because he mentioned US code.

Rams Fall, Canada.

Wolfs Lake, Canada. Both strips were recommended by Troy Branch.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:34 PM

Default Grignons ME62 in Maine

Saturday got to collect another one, nice little grass strip west of Bangor ME. Very good turn out for this family oriented get together. Hay rides, face painting, and more for the Kids. This was a great little fly-in. Photos of some of the RV's that made it in. To Mass group sorry I missed you guys.

These photos were taken by Tony DelMonaco

ME62

Noah on a Sat flight early morning

david@rv12pilot.com
2021 VAF Supporter

RV12 #568 EAB
* Started 9/30/2011
* 1st flight 8/30/12

http://www.rv12pilot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/dvalcik
Old 09-25-2016, 06:39 PM

Default One the ground