Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:02 AM

Default Some pics

As promised, here are some pics...

These first 3 are before the flight, before it was covered in bugs.

I need to get the wheel fairings done...it's kind of RV-12 looking, without them, and although RV-12's aren't ugly, they aren't as sleek looking as the bigger RV's either.

Last edited by TimO : 06-18-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:04 AM

Here are some from the flight itself. It really flew well. I stayed right around the airport, overhead at first, then after I saw it was all very controllable, I did some flights down the runway.

Last edited by TimO : 06-18-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:06 AM

Default Flightline Interior Seats and accessories

Here are some pics of the interior so far. It isn't 100% complete, but it's nice so far. Everything is from Abby at Flightline Interiors. She's a busy gal, so it may take some time to get things, but they come out great.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to use that logo that's on the seats, it's available. I designed it with my daughter, to represent the RV-14 being both aerobatic, and an IFR capable cross country plane, but you can read the pic for whatever you feel it is to you. Abby has the stitch pattern so you can just tell her the colors you want.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:56 AM

Congratulations! The seats look great and I really like the throttle quadrant.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:38 PM

Man, that's one pretty bird!

What color/product did you use on the interior paint? It looks awesome.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:37 PM

Great looking plane! Your skills certainly show through. Congratulations. I hope to be in your company later this year.

Steve
Old 06-19-2016, 09:55 PM

Thanks Guys, (and girls)
For the Interior of my RV10 I used PPG Concept, DCC 34986 Gray. I liked it because I don't like light colors inside...too much glare on the windows if you take pics. Even this isn't that dark, but every little bit helps. For the RV10 I also added a flattening agent for the panel to make it less reflective and more eggshell. No reflections in my eyes if I can avoid it.

For the RV14 they took that same color code and mixed me up some PPG Delfleet single stage using that same code. This one doesn't use a flattening agent, but instead they just reduce the amount of glossifiers (if that's a word) that are in the paint, to get the proper finish. I There are areas like my seat backs that got pretty dull due to the way I sprayed them but in general I wasn't working hard to make the interior perfect..it's my intention to cover most every bit of aluminum I can. Up here it gets so cold in the winter that the last thing I want is to be able to physically touch the skin. So the paint is just there to give a good base to stick things on, and for now it makes a good color.

The throttle quadrant in my -10 I covered the sides with a vinyl with underboard stuff to give it rigidity, and mounted a USB power socket in both sides up ahead of the mechanism area. So that is where we plug in ipads and phones. I have to make one yet for the -14. I'm not as fond of putting it on the tunnel top like it is, because then you can crush it with things easily.

Regarding the flying, I've put a bunch of hours on it this weekend now and I spoke too soon about ALL the temps being perfect. It's pretty hot here this weekend. The CHT's are all excellent, but the oil temps do creep up. They come down fairly quick too when straight and level, but if you heat soak the engine and then take off again and try to climb, you're going to have to step climb sooner or later. I arbitrarily for the last 10 years have been making 216F my alert temp for oil temp, and I can pretty much guarantee I'll hit that in an extended climb at least if I don't climb at 125kts or better. I can live with it, but if anyone does a well working cowl mod that can prevent that, I'll gladly hack and paint the bottom of my cowl if it improves the oil temps. Other than that, I haven't found too much that bugs me.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:45 PM

Default congrats

congrats on the new bird!
Lee
RV-3a/o-320 10" HXr GRT filled up Da panel_ Brada
Speed is life! Bank it & Yank it for the G's
Dues paid 2022 Mahalo DR!
Home base -o88
Team Light Aviation LLC.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:49 PM

Default RV-14A in the air

That is a gorgeous aircraft. I admire your work. Thanks for posting all the great info. My goal is to build an RV-14A. Just got my license in April. Flew in the prototype with Joe Blank last fall and fell for that beauty the instant he let me take the stick. It flies so very well.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimO View Post
Regarding the flying, I've put a bunch of hours on it this weekend now and I spoke too soon about ALL the temps being perfect. It's pretty hot here this weekend. The CHT's are all excellent, but the oil temps do creep up. They come down fairly quick too when straight and level, but if you heat soak the engine and then take off again and try to climb, you're going to have to step climb sooner or later. I arbitrarily for the last 10 years have been making 216F my alert temp for oil temp, and I can pretty much guarantee I'll hit that in an extended climb at least if I don't climb at 125kts or better. I can live with it, but if anyone does a well working cowl mod that can prevent that, I'll gladly hack and paint the bottom of my cowl if it improves the oil temps. Other than that, I haven't found too much that bugs me.
Tim,
I would be interested in hearing what your definition of a well working cowl mod. is.

Having concern about oil temps on a brand new, no where close to broken in engine is severely jumping the gun. Especially in the context of doing modifications.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")