Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Good work Kurt. What do you have for avionics, and, any words of wisdom for wannabe IFR'ers? I do have autopilot, roll and alt hold, GRT Sport EFIS, heated pitot, 1-com, Garmin 327 GTX transponders, steam gauge backup for AS & Alt, so would have to throw more money at it.
Jim, I have a Dynon Skyview with roll and pitch servos, a TruTrak Gemini PFD backup, and a Garmin GNS480 nav/com/GPS. It's a really great setup, and the autopilot works just awesome on the factory settings.

Words of wisdom....hmmm.... I'd say just get started! You can do quite a bit of the initial air work without the attitude backup and nav radio, and regardless of your current skill level or equipment it'll make you a better pilot.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:23 AM

Default Congrats!

Congrats Kurt. Actually I think your 9A is a great instrument platform. I remember after getting my instrument ticket I went out and test flew a couple of planes to decide what I wanted to build. The first was a Lancair Legacy. I could not keep that plan on altitude or speed for the life of me. Admittedly I didn't fly it for more than 1/2 hour, but it really made me think this isn't the instrument platform for me. Shortly after that I flew a friends 7 and it was night and day. I was really comfortable on precision approaches right away. The 7 was stable but responsive. That was the final piece in my decision making, and I went with a 7A.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:03 AM

Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
any words of wisdom for wannabe IFR'ers? I do have autopilot, roll and alt hold, GRT Sport EFIS, heated pitot, 1-com, Garmin 327 GTX transponders, steam gauge backup for AS & Alt, so would have to throw more money at it.
Autopilot is almost a 'must have' for single pilot IFR. I fly IFR in my 172 without it and I don't particularly enjoy it. More than about 30 mins in IMC and I'm worn out. As a rule I typically only use my rating to climb out or descend through clouds... no en route IMC flying.

I would say your heated pilot is defiantly a must have, as well as some type of fuel valve releif.. not sure how to do that on an RV yet... I believe you can put a pressure valve in the root.

I wouldn't call Steam Guages a must have... you'll want a backup setup of some type to get you out of IMC but that can just be a Dynon D10, Trutrack Gemini or that new one Garmin just came out with. Steam guages look cool but take up a lot of real estate.
http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 04-11-2016, 09:49 PM

Default Way to go Kurt.

The rating can really help you on x-countries. You probably have weather in the cockpit. It's really nice when you go IMC. Be careful and get a tune-up from a good instructor when you feel you need it. John
Old 04-12-2016, 12:07 AM

Great Job Kurt!!

Sometimes I wonder if it's all worth it and then a day like Sunday comes along. Planned to fly to Aurora Airport (home of Van's) for some time in the FAA's hypoxia chamber. Stable airmass, overcast at 1200ft with tops between 4 and 5K and freezing level around 8K. VFR I wouldn't have gone, IFR no problem!!!

Spectacular!

The Olympics off in the distance

Mt St Helens and Mt Adams

GPS 35 approach at Aurora Airport about an hour later.

RV-7A
Flying
1150 Hours
Old 04-12-2016, 09:15 AM

Spectacular photos, Jeff! Thanks for the reminder!

While I have no appetite for blazing around in 200ft overcast, My wife and I have sat on the ground returning home from a trip, wishing away an un-forecast 1,000 ft ceiling. Now it's no worry: just make sure we won't pick up any ice, file, and carry on. Plus as your pictures make so perfectly clear, it's beautiful up there!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:04 AM

Ya days like Sunday are the whole reason I got the rating. Generally speaking, in the Pacific Northwest we have about 6 months (Apr-Sep) when you can really use it. Well that is if you actually want to go somewhere. With higher MEA's and the lower freezing levels in the winter it's tough.

Being instrument rated can sure help at times but there will still be a lot of no go decisions. Unfortunately sometimes those decisions become even harder. I've always said if I ever have to shoot an approach to minimums in actual I need to take a hard look at my decision making process.

Try and use it a lot on the VFR days too. Have fun!

RV-7A
Flying
1150 Hours
Old 04-12-2016, 05:04 PM

Default What Kurt did NOT tell you about his IFR rating...

.....You must have 40 hours (minimum) to be eligible for the practical test. His silly CFII signed him off at 40.6!

He was ready, and said it was "easier than expected" Experience tells me that means he was well prepared.

Good job Kurt. Your instructor owes you a beer.

Gregg
-4 Emp and Wings complete!
Fuselage out of the jig!
www.mykitlog.com/gbrightwell
Old 04-12-2016, 06:58 PM

Default Congrats!

Congratulations! That is a very satisfying feeling. As sensitive as these planes are, I imagine the auto pilot did come in handy. I took my instrument check ride in a Piper Archer. Nothing happens quick in that....
Old 04-12-2016, 07:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw5927 View Post
On Friday morning last week I passed the instrument checkride in my RV9A. Not usually one to toot my own horn but this was sort of a big one. Took a long time and a lot of work to get ready. Thanks to a great instructor/buddy, it turns out I was well prepared.

Anyway, get back to building, everyone.

Congratulations good job Sir!

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.