Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:44 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRviator View Post
G'day Eddiie, RAAus was chosen as I don't have a PPL yet, and when I started the process the RPL was still a pipe dream. I am indeed limited to 600Kg, with the BEW coming in at 445Kg, but for my requirements that is still acceptable. When I get back into the gym and lose another 10-15 Lbs I can carry myself and full fuel, or half fuel and one of my young blokes - which still gives me the legs to go Sydney-Brisbane with reserves, perfectly adequate for my needs at present.

When I get time, I will port over the RPC to a RPL and have Martin Ongley look over it and issue the VH- paperwork, but it isn't a great priority yet as the range isn't required, and the KRviatrix has decreed she won't travel in it until I have at least 200 hrs in the RV!

Swapping from RAAus to VH isn't a big deal, as the aircraft, even RAAus registered, was still built for education & recreation & still meets the 51% rule, so when it comes time I might even be able to avoid another Phase 1.

Besides, I now have one of the fastest ultralights in Australia!
Enjoy the ride, you won't look back.

By the way Martin is no longer an AP, so you'll probably have to approach Dave Tenant.

Cheers
RV-7 Phase 2, 30 Oct 2012
1100 hrs Feb 2020
Old 03-28-2016, 03:31 PM

Default She FLIES! And quite nicely too!

After 4 years, 9 months and 19 days building, Aurora Australis was awarded her registration, but I then had to wait several more weeks for a combination of good weather and kids-in-daycare to be able to perform the first flight.

Other than a few EMS alarms (high current, EGT and Fuel Flow) the flight went beautifully. These alarms will be reset to more appropriate values before the next flight. The high-current was due to me setting the redline at the 30-amp rating of the PP alternator, that I now understand will output slightly more than 30 amps at times. EGT was due to the #2 cylinder being much higher than the others, even during idle, so I'm going to swap the probe to #4 to see what happens, and FF was higher than expected for the O-340, and I didn't have enough margin in the setting there.

Handling wise, she flies slightly left-wing-low, it is a little nosier than expected so I now understand why the VAF cap sits higher on my noggin' than The Motherships cap (to clear the headset cups in case you're wondering...watch the video, you'll see), but overall it was a much nicer handling aircraft than the Tecnam, it felt much more stable airborne, and went like a scalded cat.

Without any fairings on, I was seeing 120-130MPH most of the time, but without an accurate FF indication, can't say exactly what % power that was, though it was usually at 23/2400RPM. Max RPM at 4,000 was ~2500RPM, which looks to be on track for a 2700RPM rating at 8000, so hopefully I won't need to change the prop setting.

Here's the YouTube video. I had the GoPro on the tail, a DashCam I've riveted to the rollbar and our camcorder tucked under the canopy. Because I'm an idiot, I forgot to turn the GoPro on before the takeoff roll, so the only footage I have of the liftoff are from the two internal cameras.

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:53 PM

Awesome...a huge congrats!! Great job on the video too. I can relate to that last deep breath you took after run-up. It's about having unshakeable confidence in both the quality of your work and Van's design when you take the runway for the first time.

You're gonna love it with the fairings in place...it feels supercharged.
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 03-28-2016, 04:08 PM

HUGE congratulations!!!!! Welcome to the Flyin' Nines!!!!! The more you fly it, the more you'll love it.
(Dues paid thru Nov '18)
Old 03-28-2016, 07:16 PM

Congratulations Rob! Enjoy!

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:21 PM

Congratulations, that first flight is a wonderful feeling

Cheers
RV-7 Phase 2, 30 Oct 2012
1100 hrs Feb 2020
Old 03-28-2016, 09:33 PM

Default Congratulations

And great/entertaining video, although you are sitting one the wrong side of the aircraft
RV-12, N913BC
2021 VAF Donation, please make yours too!
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 03-28-2016, 11:47 PM

Default Enjoy

Congratulations. What an achievement. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see it somewhere soon.
Sept 2019 180 hours
=VAF=. 2019 Donor
Old 03-28-2016, 11:55 PM

Default Any events in July?

Greetings from San Diego. My wife and I will be in the neighborhood looking at airparks and I am wondering if there are any organized events in July that we could attend and learn a bunch more about flying in Oz. I have an RV-3 and a C170 and only the RV will be coming with us.

Thanks.

Mark
Old 03-29-2016, 10:03 AM

Congrats! Have a safe Phase 1 and enjoy the ride.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2021 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs