Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2016, 05:27 PM

Any flying still going on tomorrow or is everything wrapped up?
https://rv14joker.blogspot.com/
Old 03-19-2016, 05:51 PM

They're wrapping it's up tonight.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:14 PM

Thumbs up RVs bring home the medals

Without giving names until have permission, the two RVs in Primary won first and 3rd place, and a RV won first place in Sportsman. We had GREAT fun in between the weather, and our first timer did very well with a carburetor. Jesse deserves a special thanks for putting us up in his hanger.
Any more RVs want to join the fun??????
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower Alabama
Old 03-20-2016, 07:28 PM

Default RVs RULE Snowbird!

I'm not going to be as coy as Bill!

Bill McLean WON the Sportsman Category competition at the Snowbird Classic. He did that in a RV-4, competing against a field of purpose-built aerobats, including an EXTRA (really two EXTRAS as it was being flown by two pilots). So, Bill went out and showed what an RV, flown by a well trained and well prepared pilot can do. There's just nothing like an inverted spin in a RV-4 to impress the judges! Congratulations Bill!

Here's a picture of Bill's ride on the line in Dunnellon.

Ron Schreck flew some amazing sequences and Miss Izzy impressed anybody that visited the flight line. I also owe a huge debt of gratitude to Ron for being my mentor before and during the contest. I doubt I would have entered a contest without Ron's help.

The two Primary category competitors, Curt Sullivant (RV-7) and Mark Wesson (RV-9) ruled the primary category. And, again, did so in a field of purpose-built aerobatic airplanes. I'm working on memory but I know that Curt won Primary overall and Mark was in the medals.

So, there you have it. RV's brought home FIRST PLACE in two of the three categories of competition at the Snowbird Classic! Congratulations again to Bill and Curt.

Snowbird was my first contest. It was an amazing experience. I was in pure learning mode practically every minute. I flew the Sportsman Known sequence three times (no Free), choosing to keep it simple. The weather, winds, and other factors made each flight unique. I was happy just to complete all three without getting kicked out of the contest! I also got great experience while assisting the judges and learned a lot about how a contest is conducted. It was, start to finish, a blast!

I'd want to encourage any of you reading this to give aerobatic competition a try. If you can fly the very basic aerobatic maneuvers in your RV, you can compete, AND be competitive. More importantly, though, you'll you meet some amazing people, learn a lot about how to fly aerobatics, and just generally have a great time. Don't let the appearance of complexity discourage you from giving it a go. Just take the first step. Once you sign up as a first timer, you'll get more help and assistance than you can imagine. Join the IAC, register for a contest, and get ready for the adventure of a lifetime. I'll be happy to give you the benefit of my experience and can help you get in touch with others, far more experienced and knowledgeable, that can fill in where I'd fall short.

Take your RV flying to the next level! Help us break the RV contest record set at Snowbird. We need at least SIX at the next contest! Don't let aircraft or equipment factors hold you back. I showed up without a parachute and with a carbureted engine. No problem. I borrowed a parachute (thanks Bill) and was the only contestant competing simultaneously in both the powered and glider categories! Seriously, you DO NOT need to do anything special to your airplane to give an IAC contest a try.

Hope to see you at the next contest!
Randy
RV-8 N184RK (sold)
Currently flying a Pitts S-2E

Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through March 2025
Old 03-21-2016, 08:42 AM

Thumbs up RVs and old guys rule

Well said Randy,

This was my second contest and again I had a great time. I didn?t get back into aerobatic flying until about a year ago and prior to that hadn?t flown aerobatics in over 25 years. The RV is a great aerobatic platform and very forgiving of my mistakes.

Congratulation to Bill McLean (WillyEyeBall) winning the Sportsman Division in his RV-4. Bill showed that age of the airplane and age of the pilot has nothing to do with how your maneuvers look like from the ground. He flew 3 almost perfect flights against Decathlons, Pitts or Extras and against other competitors at very high skill levels.

Congratulations too to Randy who fortunately for Mark and I skipped Primary and flew his first IAC contest in Sportsman. Thank you?. Randy hasn?t been flying his RV-4 that long but flew his sequence like he had been doing it for years sometimes above or around the clouds which made it even more of a challenge. I?m pretty sure he also got a few well deserved ?pity points? because of the carburetor engine.

Ron Schreck was also my mentor at my first contest and his encouragement on the ground and coaching while I was flying was huge. Ron is flying maneuvers in his RV-8 that few others in dedicated aerobatic airplanes will try just to show anyone that is watching what an RV in the hands of a skilled pilot can do.

Like Randy, Ron and others on this forum, I encourage anyone that wants to break out of the $100 hamburger routine and raise your level of flying to a new height to come out and give it a try.

1. Join IAC,
2. Find someone in your area to take you for a ride and do a few rolls, loops and competition turns, or better yet if you haven?t done those maneuvers get an hour of aerobatic instruction and learn how to do these basic maneuvers and how to recover an airplane when things don?t go exactly as planned.
3. Buy a good new or used parachute.
4. Practice. This will build your confidence and experience plus is a great excuse to go flying today.
5. Find a local Chapter that has an open box day with observers on the ground or a contest and sign up. The practice days prior to the event are probably more important than the actual competition. Experienced aerobatic pilots and judges monitoring the box will give you some of the most valuable instruction possible on the radio as they watch you do the maneuvers. Repeat the maneuver and learn what that maneuver is supposed to look and feel like from the cockpit.

IAC members and the other RV pilots at the events have been great. While it might be a competition everyone is very supportive and encouraging. When you?re done building and want to improve ALL of your flying skills come join the fun.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:14 AM

Default Parachute

I want to emphasize a point about parachutes. Please do not let the cost of a parachute be a bar to entry for you. I don't own a parachute and just completed my first contest. I borrowed one and you can too. It's a good idea to try a couple of different types first anyway. I initially wanted a backpack chute but found that wasn't the best choice in my RV-4. Thanks again to Bill McLean for loaning me his chute for my contest flights!

You may want to wear one but you don't need a parachute for practice.

If you try competiton and like it, then you can buy a parachute. A good used parachute can be had for around $1000. I have a new chute on order.

Randy
RV-8 N184RK (sold)
Currently flying a Pitts S-2E

Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through March 2025
Old 03-22-2016, 09:35 AM

Maybe I am missing something here. Are you recommending not wearing a parachute while flying acro unless it is during a contest?

Paul
Old 03-22-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRV4 View Post
Maybe I am missing something here. Are you recommending not wearing a parachute while flying acro unless it is during a contest?

Paul
Paul,

It appears that you are intentionally reading something into the previous post just to be argumentative. What Randy said seems clear to me.

"You may want to wear one but you don't need a parachute for practice."

But I'll restate it in other words to make it crystal clear: Parachutes must be worn during IAC competition. A solo pilot is not required to wear a parachute at other times. If a passenger is aboard both pilot and passenger(s) are required by FAA regulations to wear a parachute during aerobatic flight.

Myself, I do wear a chute during practice aerobatic sessions although it is not a FAA requirement.

If this is not now clear to you please feel free to send me a PM.
My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
CAF B-25 - Airbase Arizona
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 03-22-2016, 10:29 AM

I'll try to clarify the chute/practice issue -

When you show up to a contest on practice day, you must get a tech inspection before you are allowed to fly in the box for practice. Tech inspection includes checking for a current chute pack. Since the waivered contest box is explicitly for the purposes of the IAC contest, IAC rules apply. This means wearing a chute, even if flying in the box solo on practice day. If you'd like to find a legal area outside the contest box to go off and practice solo, then IAC rules do not apply, only the FARs, which do not require a chute for solo acro.

I'd also add that if you have contest interests, it is worth getting used to flying with a chute, since (depending on your setup) there can be a significant difference in seating position/feel when flying with a chute vs. without. If you're accustomed to the ergonomics of not wearing a chute, and have developed finely tuned precision acro muscle memory, putting a chute on just for flights in the contest box may possibly disrupt that a bit. Or others may not find it a big deal. Something to consider.

Last edited by sandifer : 03-22-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:21 PM

Default Nicely done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
I'm not going to be as coy as Bill!

Bill McLean WON the Sportsman Category competition at the Snowbird Classic. He did that in a RV-4, competing against a field of purpose-built aerobats, including an EXTRA (really two EXTRAS as it was being flown by two pilots). So, Bill went out and showed what an RV, flown by a well trained and well prepared pilot can do. There's just nothing like an inverted spin in a RV-4 to impress the judges! Congratulations Bill!

Here's a picture of Bill's ride on the line in Dunnellon.

Sierra Hotel my brudda!

V/R
Smokey