Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX-O View Post
Thanks Dan. Will add another washer. Although when i called saber he only added the thickness of one regular washer.
Not a big deal. I like a washer under the bolt head in an app like this, mostly to protect it from the edge of the hard Belleville when turning the bolt. As Bill pointed out, maybe it's not necessary. Main thing is to install the Bellevilles correctly, or they are just ballast.

Quote:
Dang it. Forgot about the CHTs. No change. They remained at the 360s.
OK. Darn, wish you had gotten before-and-after air temperature and pressure at the cooler face.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post

OK. Darn, wish you had gotten before-and-after air temperature and pressure at the cooler face.
Will order the rest of the stuff today. Was having issues finding the temp probe.

Nothing is permanent yet. The tape will be removed and a permanent fairing will be installed. I plan on doing before/after measurements.

I am trying to learn the plane, the electronic gadgets and appropriate set ups. Lots of stuff going on at once.
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weigh out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk. Further more, these are my opinions and not those of my employer.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Forum Peruser

Default Belleville washers are springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
<SNIP>Main thing is to install the Bellevilles correctly, or they are just ballast.<SNIP>
Absolutely. A Belleville washer is a type of spring. Belleville washers should be specified by someone who knows their "spring constant" values and who specifies their correct orientation if used in a stacked configuration. A design engineer can get all kinds of combinations of axial forces by stacking them in "series" or "parallel" groups. I was exposed to incorrect installation of Belleville washers many years ago as a young engineer as their incorrect installation was playing havoc with a clamping device until we figured out the orientation problem.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Last edited by rv7boy : 10-13-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:35 PM

Just adding the link to the starter failure.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=131528
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weigh out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk. Further more, these are my opinions and not those of my employer.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:07 PM

Default Weight and oil door

I just scanned through your extensive documentation and am impressed with everything. What did the final weight come out to? Also, I noticed a photo of the oil door on the upper cowl, but couldn't make out the method or securing it closed. I need to come up with a better mouse trap then the original design so am looking for ideas.

Sincerely
Old 12-07-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Vickers View Post
I just scanned through your extensive documentation and am impressed with everything. What did the final weight come out to? Also, I noticed a photo of the oil door on the upper cowl, but couldn't make out the method or securing it closed. I need to come up with a better mouse trap then the original design so am looking for ideas.

Sincerely

Empty =1,000 lbs. I put stuff that other lighter -4s may not have. Like a thicker (than vans) canopy, 2 auto pilot servos, extra battery for avionics, arm rests, leather pockets, fire ext, electric flaps, garmin 430W and so on. I also placed maintenance ease over light in order to minimize 4 letter words in the future. I am not happy with the weight but I am happy with the performance thus far. I was aiming for 975lbs. So my fix was to lose 26 lbs and my wife lost 20 lbs.

I use a pin to hold the door closed. It comes from the cockpit through the cheek in a small tube. The hinge has a spring. I had to do it that way because I have an engine plenum. My other -4 had a pin also but I could reach it from the front inlet.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:30 AM

Finally... flight testing continues. I was able to log approx. 4 hrs this weekend. I installed a new Catto 2-bladed test prop (more pitch). This one got me closer to where I need to be but still not quite there yet.

Disregard the fuel flow figures on the screen captures. The FF and fuel level are not completely calibrated.

Firsts for the plane:
-WOT
-Full fuel tanks (discovered a fuel leak in the BNC center pin)
-First time landing at a different airport (Rosamond, CA)

Static rpms on the ground 2080-2100.

at 8000 ft DA and 2700 rpm, 179 KTAS

at 8000 ft DA and WOT (2840 rpm), 187 KTAS

at 11.5 msl and WOT (2800 rpm) TAS dropped off a few knots, 184 KTAS.

I think I can pick up a few more knots. My horizontal stab incidence angle is too high. I have to zero it out. I don't have my aft wing fairings on yet, and I have not installed the cowling exit fairing yet (just speed tape right now until I can tuff the area). Max torque for this engine is at 2600 rpm. Once I get the right pitch prop, that will help too.

First in-flight pic. not great but proof that she flies. Thanks Goose.

Last edited by AX-O : 12-07-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:47 AM

Just adding the PMAG wire issue.
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=132705
Old 02-15-2016, 09:52 AM

Still in Phase 1. slowly getting there.

Testing Google photo capability.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:47 PM

Last Sunday I got to 40 hours on the aircraft. Although that is the number assigned to my aircraft for exiting of Phase 1, I have not completed all the test and I am not comfortable taking anyone along yet. So it will remain in Phase 1 until she (and I are ready).

After landing I did a mag check and one of my ignitions did not pass. The PMAG dropped cylinder 3 and 4 (OMG, how nice it is to have an engine monitor with history data). I pulled the PMAG, talked to Brad, over-nighted it to TX yesterday, and will get the fixed PMAG back tomorrow. The failure was to the coil that puts out spark to cylinder 3 and 4. They replaced the coil at no cost and they have been extremely responsive and helpful. In the process of checking the mags I found out that I got my left and right labels mixed up on the PMAG switches. The plane operated as if nothing happen while it operated on one mag.

After first flight, most people stop posting and sometimes it is difficult to understand if a change worked or not. So?..

- if you have a Superior cold air sump, calibrate the engine oil stick. It is way off. Do so by adding 3 qts for the initial reading then add 1 qt at the time and mark your stick. It is a non-linear relationship. I used a hole-puncher to mark the location at 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 qts.

-I removed the Rod Bower's air filter. It kept coming lose. The 3 set screws on the unit were not enough to hold the unit on the fuel servo. I spoke to other folks with the same feedback. I call Don at Airflow performance and he made me a "Y" intake tube for the FM-100. That is working much better though I now have to figure out a way to add an air filter inside the cowl.

-The last configuration of oil cooler, oil cooler location, oil cooler orientation and engine plenum interface seems to be working. As the OATs go up I am starting to see CHTs going up too. So I may not be done sizing the in/exit area. For the most part the oil temp is operating at approx 135 deg warmer than OATs in flight. Now that I have a good Idea on how she is operating, I will start the cowling instrumentation (per DanH?s guidance), Cowl flap design (similar to DanH?s) and exit area clean up.

-My airspeed indicator is showing 2 to 3 kts slow depending on the airspeed being flown. So all those people that keep saying the safe air static ports don?t work?. Well, mine does fairly well. I don?t have the means to measure instrument error so the total error is being blamed on the pitot-static system/location error.

-I spoke with Nicole Catto. I am going to the 5 th prop design. They are moving to a 68 by 84. She told me that this will be the one. Fingers crossed. They are reducing the cord width and prop length to increase the takeoff rpm and increasing the prop pitch to reduce the cruising rpm to 2700. With the airspeed error taken into account, the plane is cruising at 189 KTAS. Hopefully I can see 190 straight and level after this change. If not, after the aft wing fairing and horizontal angle of incidence get worked out.

- I replaced a set of brake pad at 38 hrs. That is ridiculous. I had my other plane for over 400 hrs and replace the pads once. This aircraft rolls much easier than the previous one and I keep 40 psi on the tires vice 35 on the previous, so it taxis really fast. I am always taping the brakes. Also I have been landing long in case I have engine failure but still trying to make the first taxiway so I have been using the brakes. I always pump the brakes prior to start and prior to landing. Well I did that prior to start and my pedal went limp. Got out and saw a puddle. #$%^@ turns out the brake puck came out because my pad was so thin. Will keep a closer look at this. My previous plane ate tires for breakfast. This one may eat brake pads.

- got the heavy wing fixed by re-rigging the flap up on the light wing. One turn on the flap rod did the trick. I then lined up the light aileron to the flap position in flight configuration. Which interestingly is not the same position as it is on the ground when retracted.

-Bags of dog food facilitated cg range testing. My dogs will have food for a few months now. Kind of like those folks that prep for the end of the world.