-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:04 PM

That is good routing for the brake lines, is that a standard configuration for the RV-9A. I wish I had done that for my RV-7A.

Instead of using Sikaflex on the brake lines why not secure them with 1/4 inch P-clamps (P/N: MS21919-DG4) using 12 inches spacing. I did that and retained them with AN526-832R8 screws from underneath fuselage (i.e. minimum head height) and AN365-832 nuts.

That will ensure separation from both surfaces as well as securing the brake lines better.
IO-360-M1B
Catto 3 blade prop
Old 12-08-2015, 04:36 PM

It's not the standard routing for the brake lines, per planes, they should parallel the fuel line down the centre of the cockpit, but I didn't like that so much as tucking them under the longeron.

After a bit of thinking about it, I am going to recycle the unused snorkel foam to make little foam blocks with the lines in the middle of them and squeeze them under the longerons. For the left line across the front of the footwell, I'll make a few small angles to rivet to the floor stiffeners with small Adel clamps on them to give the needed rigidity.

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:34 AM

Default She's DONE!

After nearly 5 years of blood (yes, really), sweat, tears and reaching the threshold of AIDS twice - but no drilled finger strangely enough - Aurora Australis is now, OFFICIALLY, an aeroplane.

Wearing the numbers 19-8519 on her side, she joins only 1 other RV-9A on the RAAus register, with only a forgotten signature on the W&B form holding up the registration process for a day. I was fully expecting another bunfight with RAAus about having "another RV" on the register, but after finalising the punch list items and sorting out the paperwork, it went smoothly, so a big thanks is owed to Leanne in RAAus HQ!

Until I get home to button up the access panels and prepare for the test flights, the registration is deemed "Provisional", with it moving to full registration once the test hours are flown off and the finalisation form submitted.

RV-9A - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:47 AM

A momentous occasion! Congrats on getting that very special piece of paper...you should be flying very soon.
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 02-11-2016, 09:56 AM

A hearty congratulations on getting your Registration. An even heartier congratulations on the greater achievement - avoiding AIDS. In the long run, an airplane is just an airplane. It's our relationships that define us in this ephemeral existence.

We're looking forward to the announcement of your first flight!
Old 02-12-2016, 08:25 AM

Congratulations. It's a big achievement, especially getting it on the RAAus register and avoiding Aircraft Initiated Divorce Syndrome.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:09 AM

Congrats! I look forward to reading of first flight!
(Dues paid thru Nov '18)
Old 02-12-2016, 02:35 PM

Congratulations on getting it done, and registered.

What did your empty weight come in at ?

Are you limited to 600kg MTOW ?

Why didn't you just register experimental, there are enough TCs around you that this should have not created an issue, plus it's a one off registration fee rather than annual as with RAAus.

I can't help but feel you have done yourself a disservice by limiting your usable weight.

Cheers
RV-7 Phase 2, 30 Oct 2012
1100 hrs Feb 2020
Old 02-12-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieseve View Post
Congratulations on getting it done, and registered.

What did your empty weight come in at ?

Are you limited to 600kg MTOW ?

Why didn't you just register experimental, there are enough TCs around you that this should have not created an issue, plus it's a one off registration fee rather than annual as with RAAus.

I can't help but feel you have done yourself a disservice by limiting your usable weight.

Cheers
G'day Eddiie, RAAus was chosen as I don't have a PPL yet, and when I started the process the RPL was still a pipe dream. I am indeed limited to 600Kg, with the BEW coming in at 445Kg, but for my requirements that is still acceptable. When I get back into the gym and lose another 10-15 Lbs I can carry myself and full fuel, or half fuel and one of my young blokes - which still gives me the legs to go Sydney-Brisbane with reserves, perfectly adequate for my needs at present.

When I get time, I will port over the RPC to a RPL and have Martin Ongley look over it and issue the VH- paperwork, but it isn't a great priority yet as the range isn't required, and the KRviatrix has decreed she won't travel in it until I have at least 200 hrs in the RV!

Swapping from RAAus to VH isn't a big deal, as the aircraft, even RAAus registered, was still built for education & recreation & still meets the 51% rule, so when it comes time I might even be able to avoid another Phase 1.

Besides, I now have one of the fastest ultralights in Australia!

Old 02-13-2016, 07:50 AM

Congratulations! Can't wait to see it fly.