Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2015, 08:39 AM

Default Pictures of AOA line install

Folks,

I have the Safe Air kit for the pitot/AOA lines. The extra rib holes for the AOA line in the left wing don't go all the way to the root - the ADAHRS bundle takes up some of the holes. For those who used this kit, what did you do? I was looking at adding holes adjacent to the pitot line holes in the ribs as long as there are no structural issues.

Thanks, James
Old 12-21-2015, 09:27 AM

Same kit and did exactly what you are thinking, drilled extra holes. I contacted Vans beforehand and there are no issues. They told me how many additional holes could be drilled before it becomes an issue and it was something much larger than 1 or 2 at 1/2 inch.
RV14A #140083
Flying! 8/12/19
2020 Donation
Old 12-21-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Hartline View Post
Folks,

I have the Safe Air kit for the pitot/AOA lines. The extra rib holes for the AOA line in the left wing don't go all the way to the root - the ADAHRS bundle takes up some of the holes. For those who used this kit, what did you do? I was looking at adding holes adjacent to the pitot line holes in the ribs as long as there are no structural issues.

Thanks, James
I bought wings built from another builder who had the standard pitot tube installed. I removed it and used the SafeAir kit as a retrofit. Used the original run and then enlarged the tooling hole to the run the 2 line. I used another builders idea for pitot/static run under the arm. Yes my runs are 2 bays passed the standard location. I'm undecided where to locate it, so made provision for moving it out 1 or 2 bays if I wanted. Note that the previous builder also made wire conduit runs at 3 locations. I filled 2 of them with Vans conduit and left the third unused.

Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill

Last edited by pazmanyflyer : 12-21-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:39 AM

When I installed the SafeAir kit, I relocated the Vans standard parts to the right wing just as a second pitot source that will drive an analog airspeed indicator. Even though I will install glass, for some reason I still feel compelled to have an old fashioned airspeed indicator.
RV14A #140083
Flying! 8/12/19
2020 Donation
Old 12-21-2015, 11:31 AM

Default AOA

Thanks gents. I like the idea of running both lines adjacent so any future changes or maintenance will not require too much gymnastics. Also looks better IMO. I'm putting the mast in the factory location.

Re: standard airspeed indicator. I'm not at the avionics stage yet but I'm thinking about having an independent GPS source which would provide speed, alt, attitude versus backup gauges. Either a handheld or something like the Dynon D2. Seems like it would be an easier more maintainable solution. I have plenty of time to figure that one out. So many problems; so many solutions; so little money...
Old 12-21-2015, 03:07 PM

James,
Here is my take at it. i also ran the wiring for the heated pitot as well. I am just about to close up the left wing. I chose to omit the one that Vans provides and am using a Gretz mast in the recommended location.

The tank is off temporarily so I can file it for a better fit against the outboard leading edge.

RV-14A
Status: Tail mostly complete, Wings complete(ish), Working on: Fuselage Kit, Finish kit on order (EXP119)
http://vans14a.blogspot.com/

Last edited by JDBoston : 12-21-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:37 PM

Default Heated pitot

Jeff - What did you use for the heater wiring? Did you already decide which system to use? I would like to run wires for that as well but I don't know which system I'll eventually go with. Thanks
Old 12-21-2015, 09:21 PM

Default Garmin, but not sure how much that matters

I ran wires as suggested for the Garmin heated regulated pitot however my assumption is that all of them require power, and I could use the same wires.

I ran two 12 AWG wires and a 24 AWG signal wire from the mast all the way to the root. That brings the ground back to the panel which Garmin suggested and provides that signal wire for the heat regulation as well.

RV-14A
Status: Tail mostly complete, Wings complete(ish), Working on: Fuselage Kit, Finish kit on order (EXP119)
http://vans14a.blogspot.com/
Old 12-21-2015, 09:49 PM

Default SafeAir1

While we are on the subject.... Does anyone know where to get the SafeAir1 kits now that Avery has closed? I have tried the contact form on the SafeAir1 web site and it seems to be broken at the moment. Haven't been able to find a phone number there either. Any suggestions anyone?
Empennage complete
Fuselage complete.
Finish kit underway.
Gotta order those wings soon!
Old 12-21-2015, 11:15 PM

Default Aircraft Spruce

Lee,

Try Aircraft Spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ickkey=1073768