View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 03:01 PM

Default Engine Maintenance Safety Concern

I am getting concerned by a maint. practice that I have been hearing more and more RV owners mention they are doing. Most recently by a couple of people in the RV-12 forum.

My concern is regarding the use of oil quick drain valves as a means of short cutting around the it being necessary to remove the bottom cowl to complete an oil change.

Doing a good inspection of the entire FWF ever 50 hrs or so is a very good idea.

I am sure many experienced RV owners can chime in about problems they have discovered during oil changes that could have quickly become a serious problem if not discovered when they were.

Please reconsider this practice if you are doing it now.

I am not at all against oil quick drains. I have them on all of the RV's that I maintain. They help to reduce the mess involved with draining the oil by allowing a hose to be used to direct the oil into a container. And there is no plug to replace each time and the challenge of getting it sealed well, etc. But I never use them to do an oil change with the bottom cowl still installed.

If someone was doing oil changes every 25 hrs for some reason, I could see doing the cowl removal every other oil change, but please don't pass up this opportunity to look things over real well.