View Single Post
  #2  
Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Geico266's Avatar
Geico266 Geico266 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Huskerland, USA
Posts: 5,867
Default

I first noticed by lower two were loose about 3 months ago when I was changing oil.

Yes, they had lock washers on them.
Yes, I torqued them to specs the first time.
I did not use loctite the first time per the plans.

After adding blue loctite, and re-torquing to 26-30 ft pounds I have flow 50 or so hours with no further problems. I check them every oil change or 25 hours, and whenever I have the lower cowl off. Since they were re-installed they have been fine.

I highly suggest adding "witness marks" with a black marker or torque seal so there is a visual reference on the heads of the cap screws.
__________________
RV-7 : In the hangar
RV-10 : In the hangar
RV-12 : Built and sold
RV-44 : 4 place helicopter on order.

Last edited by Geico266 : 12-02-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Reply With Quote