What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X software 6.40 available

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi folks,

We are pleased to announce that a new G3X software update is available for free on our website. This update adds several new features that our users might find interesting. The first is an option to display the HSI instrument on the primary flight display (PFD) in a track-up orientation. Put simply, this feature automatically rotates the HSI to put the aircraft's ground track at the top, which lets you fly with the course pointer at the top of the instrument regardless of crosswinds. In the screenshot below, you can see that a 26-knot direct crosswind is trying to push us off course, but the HSI has rotated to show the ground track at the top; magnetic heading is still available on the heading tape at the top of the display. This handy feature can help reduce the pilot's workload by taking the guesswork out of wind correction angles, which makes following the desired course a "breeze". :)

(click for full-size image)

Another new feature is the addition of a large, easy-to-read G-meter to the PFD. We've heard a lot of feedback requesting this kind of instrument, so we made sure to prioritize it on our software roadmap. The range of G values displayed on the gauge can be configured to match your aircraft, and there are indicators to show the maximum positive and negative G's recorded since last being reset by the pilot. Depending on how you configure it, you can have the G-meter appear only when you select it, or it can also pop up automatically when it's needed. The G-meter function captures the min/max G loading for the aircraft regardless of whether it is displayed or hidden, so you can review the recorded G's after landing even if you didn’t use the G-meter in flight.

g3x_g_meter.jpg

g3x_g_meter_setup.jpg

Another new addition is support for the Garmin GTS 8xx TAS/TCAS system. While this powerful system is not necessarily a good fit for every user, I know some folks have been very interested in making it work with their G3X system. In fact, one VAF user has already been flying with this software in his GTS 800-equipped RV-10 for some time now (maybe he'll chime in here with his experiences?). And for you GNS 480 fans, the G3X system is now compatible with that particular IFR navigator as well.

The complete list of changes is as follows:

• Added option to display G-meter on PFD.
  • Added option to display track-up orientation on PFD HSI.
  • Added support for GTX 8xx active traffic system.
  • Added support for GNS 480 MapMX data.
  • Added support for Kavlico P500-30A manifold pressure sensor.
  • Improved autopilot capture of GPS course when using internal GPS navigation source.
  • Improved terrain alerting logic.
  • Improved flight plan synchronization between multiple displays when user waypoint list is full.
  • Improved Pathways display.
  • Improved AHRS alignment process.
  • Improved flight log distance computation.
  • Improved demo mode simulator controls.
  • Changed to ensure display is visible when powering on system during daylight hours when manual backlight setting was previously set to a dim level for night use.
  • Corrected display of manifold pressure units in config mode when air pressure measurement units are set to millibars.
  • General improvements to system operation.
  • Includes GSU 73 system software version 2.17.

Just like always, this update is free from the G3X software download page. The G3X Pilot's Guide has also been updated, and a new version of the installation manual should be available next week. In the meantime, if you need the wiring diagram for connecting the GTS 8xx to your G3X system, drop us an email and we'll be happy to send it to you. Thanks to all who have written to suggest new features, and please let us know if you have any questions or comments.

happy flying,
- Matt

Last edited:
You guys rock!

I have only had my G3x since ver 6.30 and in the 25 hours I have flown behind it, my expectations have been far exceeded. And already an exciting update. Really confirms that I made the right choice of EFIS! :)

Keep up the great work, it really appreciated.

Mark

Dear Sirs:
Is any way to create a USER WP File that can be uploaded to the system that
includes the same information (Fields) than the Jepp Data Base?
Specially for experimental airplanes, user WP are very useful and most the
time much more used than the big airports included on the Jepp Data base.
It would be great if the User WP can be painted on the 3D or synthetic
vision mode, like the Jepp WPts that have orientation information.
That?s a really useful feature that today is not available. *At least that
the USER WP information can be as good or complete as the Jepp Data Base.
Maybe for USA the Jepp Data Base is full of private and little airfields but
for the rest of the world, only the mayor ones are included and the most
used by general aviation pilot are left behind.

As an example, If you use the AIR NAV PRO app for IPAD, you have ALL (really
ALL) the airfields with all the information available for each one.
Its incredible how complete is this simple and cheap app data base. *On our
Case (Southamerica Chile).
We don?t ask for a new database, we want a better way to insert and to
present and use the USER WP DATA BASE.
It would be great if you can consider this.
Best regards

Screenshots

I have been flying with the new software and would like to show some screenshots.

I have the GTS800 TAS which previously only showed traffic on the 430W traffic screen. While this worked ok the screen size was small on the 430W. I was highly anticipating this software release so I could show traffic on the PFD1 and 2 and the MFD. I tried to capture a lot of different shots but didn't get all I wanted. I'm sure someone will ask me why I fly one dot high on the ILS or my ball not being centered on the descent but it was just to get a screenshot and show some traffic flying solo. I couldn't get any traffic in front of me to show on the PFD's. It does show the traffic, there just wasn't any out there in front of me and I really didn't want to go chase someone down for the shot. Maybe later I will get some good ones. This traffic system works well because all I need is another plane with a transponder. Not like ground based systems like ADS-b and TIS that don't do well in remote areas and mountainous terrain. Even though the GTS800 has ADS-b (in) and my transponder has ADS-b out, I don't use them. I have XM weather and interrogated traffic. The last pic is my phone screen shot where I saw the plane show up on planefinder even over SLC where they don't have ADS-b coverage??

eq0zdc.jpg

muvedt.jpg

35cg7c7.jpg

epkubk.jpg

6i9mb5.png

Great !

Love the idea of the G meter. now I have an extra hole in my panel I can fill with an autopilot !

Also love the AHRS alignment improvement. I haven't tested it yet but did notice it took a lot longer after the last software update and sometimes needed a re-start.

Cool !

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. It is really a pleasure to serve this enthusiastic market!

Is any way to create a USER WP File that can be uploaded to the system that includes the same information (Fields) than the Jepp Data Base?
Hernán - while we haven't ruled out expanding the data structure of user defined waypoints to be more like that used in the navigation database, we are also interested in securing additional sources of airport data in countries like Brazil and Chile where the existing database excludes many smaller airports. It is probably not widely known, but we are already supplementing the navigation databases in the U.S. and Europe with secondary sources of airport data to improve the coverage for our experimental and portable aviation customers. We want to do the same for additional areas of the world. Thanks for reminding us that your country is one of those that is in need of this type of supplemental data.

Sounds like some great updates . My personal wish is ADS-B input from some of the new receivers.
Those of you who visited our booth at Sun-N-Fun know that we were telling customers that we will have an ADS-B announcement for G3X in 2012. Bill, please be patient a little longer. We have much more in the works for G3X!

This traffic system works well because all I need is another plane with a transponder.
We have to agree with you there Sean. When you are up there actively interrogating everything in sight with your G3X/GTS800, you don't need any ADS-B ground support because you make your own traffic datalink everywhere you go! :)

Thanks,
Steve

Back