What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320 and 9:1 pistons

Hack

I am requesting input from all of you that have knowledge in the area of putting 9:1 pistons in a low compression (150hp) O-320. The answer below from Sacramento Sky Ranch (www.sacskyranch.com/lycoming.htm) indicating that if you do not have nitrided cylinders (which I do not) it is a bad idea. Others who I trust say "it is not a certified engine, it is not going to hurt anything on a wide deck as long as you don't go above (9:1).

Really curious as to what all you smart people have to say.

Sacarmento Sky Ranch article below.

What is the difference between one Lycoming engine model and another
The "Same Engine" Myth

Questions that frequently are asked of Lycoming sales personnel, engineers, and technical representatives indicate that there is a myth regarding Lycoming piston engines. This myth seems to be prevalent among aircraft owners and aviation writers. In the minds of these individuals, each Lycoming engine series is essentially the same. For example, all 360 cubic inch displacement engines are inherently the same except for differences in fuel metering or turbocharging. The idea that these engines are the same is false. A few specific examples may help to put this myth to rest.

Lycoming builds 0-320 engines that produce 150 HP or 160 HP. The 150 HP O-320-E series engines operate at a compression ratio of 7.0:1. The 0-320-D series has high compression pistons which raise the compression ratio to 8.5:1, and increase rated output to 160 HP. Those who believe that the pistons are the only difference in these engines will be disappointed when they plan to upgrade their 0-320-E to the higher horsepower by simply changing pistons. Many models in the 0-320-E series were designed for the purpose of keeping the cost down. Thousands of these low compression engines were built with plain steel cylinder barrels instead of the Nitrided barrels used in the 0-320-D series engines. They also had two narrow bearings instead of one long front main bearing. The engines were certified at 150 HP and were not intended to withstand the additional stress of higher horsepower.

There are FAA approved STC's that allow 160HP from the e series engines with the split 4 piece nose bearing. FYI, not all E series engines have that nose bearing setup, some have the long two-piece nose bearing...O-320-E2A for example.
You should use the heavy wall piston pins and nitrided or plated cylinders for the 160HP engine conversion and I would not be too concerned about the nose bearing setup unless you need constant speed as the 4 piece split nose bearing doesn't support CS operation.
Good Luck and Happy New Year,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

For what it's worth, I have approximately 750 hrs on my overhaul with 9.5:1 custom forged pistons. I have an O-320-E3D. I did use new Lycoming Nitride cylinders and heavy wall piston pins.
So far everything is running great.

Last edited:
I have an O-320 B2B Narrow Deck engine converted to constant speed operation.

I have ECI TITAN through hardened STEEL cylinder with 9:1 pistons and 167 hours on the cylinders. I had Superior Investment Cast head through hardened steel cylinders with 10:1 pistons for over 1,800 hours. When the Superior cylinders were removed, they still had the cross hatch pattern in the bore and the bore measured at NEW spec including the choke. (oil used was mostly AeroShell 15W-50)

Lycoming advertises that the nitrite cylinders are the hardest and that the competitors through hardened steel cylinders are the SOFTEST. In my case, they may be the softest but the wear after 2,100 hours (300-8.5:1, 1,800-10:1) was not measurable.

The wear in the Superior cylinders that I had convinced me that I was willing to try the Titan STEEL cylinders else I would have spent the extra money for the ECI Nickel+Carbide cylinders. My ECI steel cylinders use about one quart of oil (Phillips X/C 20-50) in 50 hours. I have been told that most ECI Nickel+Carbide cylinders use one quart every 15 to 20 hours.

The 9:1 pistons are the same part number that are used in the Lycoming O-320 H2AD engine.

There are FAA approved STC's that allow 160HP from the e series engines with the split 4 piece nose bearing. FYI, not all E series engines have that nose bearing setup, some have the long two-piece nose bearing...O-320-E2A for example.

Mahlon, thanks for the great info. I have an O-320-E2A that I am hoping to convert to 160 HP for fixed pitch use. I'm 90% sure that it has the long two-piece nose bearing.

Does your post mean that this bearing setup can't be converted to 160 HP(at least in a certified manner)? I found this STC from RAM Aircraft that seems to indicate that it can be.

Let me know what I've got wrong here...

Maximum Power STC Package
150 hp to 160 hp
Climb and cruise at ?Maximum Power? with RAM?s Maximum Power STC Kit for your
Cessna 172.

Cessna 172 :
Applicable engine: Lycoming O-320-E2A, -E2D, -E3D

These kits (choose Kit A or B) allow you to increase from 150-hp to 160-hp using the existing 150 hp Lycoming O-320-E2A, -E2D and, -E3D engine.

Involves installation of pistons, wrist pins, and ring sets. Both kits include carburetor.

Kit A includes new cylinder assemblies, while Kit B uses your existing cylinders and replaces existing pistons, pins and ring sets. No changes to crankcase are required.
Engine and airframe STC documentation are included.

Maximum Power STC Kit A
Part Description:
Cylinder Assem. (4)
Wrist Pins (4)
Carburetor *
Fuel Pump * *
RAM Engine STC
RAM Airframe STC
Kit A: $6,749 Maximum Power STC Kit B
Part Description:
Pistons (4)
Ring Sets (4)
Wrist Pins (4)
Carburetor *
Fuel Pump * *
RAM Engine STC
RAM Airframe STC
Kit B: $2,298

O-320 150 to 160 hp conversion

For what it's worth, I have approximately 750 hrs on my overhaul with 9.5:1 custom forged pistons. I have an O-320-E3D. I did use new Lycoming Nitride cylinders and heavy wall piston pins.
So far everything is running great.

Do you get more than 160hp with the 9.5:1 pistons? If I do change my O320-E3D in the future I will go with 8.5:1 pistons but can I use my old Millennium cylinders? Did you rejet your carb and/or change to a prop with higher pitch? What is the piston brand and where did get them?

Do you get more than 160hp with the 9.5:1 pistons? If I do change my O320-E3D in the future I will go with 8.5:1 pistons but can I use my old Millennium cylinders? Did you rejet your carb and/or change to a prop with higher pitch? What is the piston brand and where did get them?
I ended up with about 175 hp according to Sensenich. We tried several props to come to that decision. Their standard 180 hp prop (72 X 82) would turn 2600 rpm. We trimmed 1" off the diameter and got 2750. This ended up a 71 X 82. Eventually ended up with Catto 3-blade (66 X 74).

I considered re-jetting the carb but have not had to. Don't remember the brand of pistons. I got them from the DeMars Aero Ltd. (1996).

Another thing to consider; when doing this type of hp increase, you need to increase prop bolt size to 1/2".

Back