What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator balance

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Now at the stage where we had to attach the left elevator to the HS. I notice that the the elevator is "tail heavy". Will the tip fix it or is there a procedure later on to balance and add lead?

Now at the stage where we had to attach the left elevator to the HS. I notice that the the elevator is "tail heavy". Will the tip fix it or is there a procedure later on to balance and add lead?

The GVT (ground vibration testing) that was done showed enough safety margin with the supplied amount of balance weight, as long as you don't apply an excessive amount of paint and you fly the airplane with the specified speed limitations. This is the reason that the construction manual doesn't specify re balancing the control surfaces.

Thanks guys:)
Will it be wrong to balance it by adding an AN5 bolt and big washers, held with a plate nut, in the horn section just behind the lead weights?

I do not intend to fly outside the envelope but will feel better if it is balanced.

Jan,
Go to VAN's documentation "Final Inspection and Flight Test". Page 2 you will find section "Flight controls". There you will find the balancing information for each of the surfaces. Guessing might make problems worse.
I forget which kit the Final Inspection documentation comes with but if you don't have it yet, I would try to contact VAN's and see if they can send a copy to you so you can balance your surfaces as you build.

If I'm not mistaken....Van's has already checked in on this thread...Scott aren't you a member of the prototype team at Van's? Please excuse my post if I'm thinking of someone else..

If I'm not mistaken....Van's has already checked in on this thread...Scott aren't you a member of the prototype team at Van's? Please excuse my post if I'm thinking of someone else..

Well if Scott is Scott (you know wht I mean) then I would follow his recommendations. Thanks guys;)

Back