What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VASI construction for $200

Wiley

Just read the article in Kiplanes about the glideslope indicator someone built for their home field. Thought I would pass on my own design of a 3 color vasi light built out of an LED traffic light and 7 ft sections of 6 inch c-purling. The green light tube is cut down in height by 1/2" on each end with a piece of flat steel giving a 6 degree cone of light. This was designed to clear a tree line at the south end of our strip 750 feet from the threshold. The green light cone is 40feet tall at that distance and adjustable to any angle. Works very well. I flew it tonight and can see it from 4-5 miles out. Not bad for a total of 40 watts.

$80 traffic light on e-bay, 1" square tubing scrap metal, $80 for 2 20ft sticks of 6inch c-purlin.

Be glad to answer any questions.
Eric Wiley
[email protected]

PS runway lights are LED as well. 2700ft runway on 100watts.

my first attemp at posting pictures

Way to go!

Eric,
That is really cool!

Reminds me of something a guy said to me once while we were designing and building something.

"There's nothing like an idea fixin to happen"

Mark

Maybe an old thread...er uh but how do you key the lights to come on...unless they're always on?

Maybe an old thread...er uh but how do you key the lights to come on...unless they're always on?

The runway lights at our private air park come on with a photocell and stay on all night. I suppose you could hook this up to the runway lights like that - the electrical costs are fairly trivial when you split them up forty ways.

Paul

Back